Technical support

Hi everyone.
Would someone be so klind to advise me where best to post a free techincal support notice for office equipment and CCTV.
I currently offer a free telephone and email based technical support service to anyone encountering problems withe CCTV- Computers - printers and alike.
can I post on the expat forums? or would i be better posting on an alternative site viewed by expats and sure to be seen by all in gibraltar.

thanks in advance.

This is a guess, so shout at me if I'm wrong.
You're running a business in Hull, but want to get out, probably to Gib.
I'm guessing you want to test the market with a view to setting up the same business over there.

If so, the idea of a free service may help test the water, but locals and expats there may be able to give you a better insight into the business if you're straight with your posting.

Hi mas fred.
thanks for the reply, and yes I am testing the water so to speak , but also offer the free service, I do on occasion help clients out without the need to send an engineer out and save them a few quid..

My thoughts are, anyone can contact me for help even companies already dealing and servicing and repairing  the equipment. I do offer my services to the trade.

I am interested in relocating to Gib and if I can see a requirement for my skills and services out there that  I can then look more into possibility of setting up a business there at a later date. I would prefer to offer my services as a dedicated third party engineer or employee to start with, but either way someone will benefit from the free technical support.

If you get a problem give me a shout and I may be able to help, obviously some faults will require an engineer to attend but hopefully I can help ensure you have a fault that justifies the engineer attending.

appreciate the straight answer by the way.
regards
Mark

Seems fair enough.
A good engineer has potential to find work, so your chances are probably resonable.
Sadly, I know very little about your trade, and even less about Gib, so I can't be much help directly, but a few suggestions come to mind.

Check visa requirements, and what work would be legal.
Search their local yellow pages, and look at the appropriate sections. http://www.gibyellow.gi/
Google like crazy, and try to get an idea of the local copy trade, and economy in general.

Added. Take a wander out there, and find out as much as you can.
Research as much as possible before you wander, so you get maximum information from your trip.

You could even apply for a few jobs, telling potential employers you'll be there on a given date, with a view to an interview.

One of the biggest problems is the size of Gibraltar or lack of it

Looking at your location on Google maps then measuring from the roundabout on the A1033 by Kingswood Retail Park to the roundabout on the A165 by the Apollo recording studio. Again from Noddle Hill Playing field to the roundabout again on the A1033 at the Whistling Goose you have an area greater than the size of Gibraltar which has a population of 30,000

Also Gibraltar already has established businesses

Thanks Guys for your input, it is appreciated and absorbed.
I am aware that Gib is small compared to other but I did not know that only 30000 people live there. I must admit thought they would be more people residing in Gib then 30000.
I am currently applying for position's which I can slide into, also applying for those which I believe I could do well once some basic training is completed. I do have a broad knowledge of office equipment and this covers a wide range of products, please don't forget I have run my own business since 1996 and seen a lot of new companies come and go, I don't kid myself and know when changes need to be done. if I was a brand I would be "NO Frills" you get what you see, a straight forward no nonsense type of guy who shows others mutual respect.
I often get asked why do I provide renewable energy solutions surely this is something completely alien to the other services I provide. My Answer is all the services I provide are linked computers printers computer based CCTV leads to CCTV systems required in area's with no electrical mains supply hence the renewable energy solutions. My work ethic is to try and keep everything as simple as possible and backup everything I sell so any client or customer knows they will be well looked after. I carry this work ethic over into the third party work for other companies too and people know my word means more than a written contract.
Getting back to the size of Gib and the limitations of work I do realise that I will need to have a broad spectrum of abilities to find suitable employment and I always try and keep up with self training by attending courses.I am currently looking to enrol on a 6 week electrical course so I can fit fuse spares for CCTV installations etc.
I would be not truthfull if I denied that the weather and the lifestyle in Gib are not one reason and a main factor of me coming out there over other possible countries etc.
I agree I do need to come across and see how life is out there and spend some time knocking on doors and introducing myself to local businesses (some hands on research) etc.
please keep any advice coming  and when I do finally come across We could meet up and have a drink together.
Once again guys thanks for you input.
regards
Mark

CPF wrote:

We could meet up and have a drink together.
Mark

Excellent post

Grumpy

GrumpyOldBloke wrote:

One of the biggest problems is the size of Gibraltar or lack of it

a population of 30,000

Think happy thoughts - it could easily mean there is a lack of people skilled in given jobs.

Easily solved by cross frontier workers from Spain where unemployment across the board is 25%+ and much higher in Andalucia.
Youth unemployment in excess of 50%

However that does not mean there are no opportunities.

At the moment it is estimated that 10,000 people cross the frontier daily to work in Gibraltar

if 10000 are crossing the border every day , how long does it take to get across.the border.
residence in Gib is a must,going by what I have being advised upto now.
Planning to come across early feb with the wife and go from their. in the meantime keep applying for vacancies and if i get the opportunity to have a interview before then will have to jump on a plane and take a chance of finding somewhere to stay.

CPF wrote:

if 10000 are crossing the border every day , how long does it take to get across.the border.

Depends on how much economic pressure Madrid wants to put on Gib

Last night the outgoing vehicle queue was at one time in excess of 5 hours

This morning looking at the webcams there is a very long queue to come into Gib

is It any quicker going through the border on a motorcycle ?.
have to look at all areas of residence including the spain, and considering the possible long delays crossing the border it appears that Gib is the prefered location of residence.
What i intend is to stay and work in Gib for around a month or two staying a  single bed apartment or similiar ensure Gib id for me or at least get a good feel of the place, then find a larger apartment or home and then bring my wife and daughter across. I would require a 3 bedroom residence ideally to cater for my older children to come and visit etc.once wife and daughter are settled.
I am looking at taking some spanish tutoring to help me out. it all helps.

CPF wrote:

is It any quicker going through the border on a motorcycle ?.

Difficult to answer, motorcycles have been the preferred transportation by low level cigarettes smugglers and thus are targeted a lot, however they are quicker than cars at the moment.
Pedestrians have been targeted very badly but this year they have done well
It all depends on what our EU friendly law abiding politicians in Madrid decide.

Please note Spaniards do not know how to queue, so to be forced to into a queue with them is generally very unpleasant

However if you decide to live on the Spanish side you will very quickly become a Spanish resident required to pay taxes in Spain and have Spanish registered vehicles etc.( insurance on Spanish vehicles is two or more times more expensive than Gibraltar ones.

Hi Grumpy.
Thanks for the info you given me , think  I would be better to reside in Gib if I am going to work there, benefits will out weight financial savings when it come to finding somewhere to live across the border also, I will need a car or small van to carry out my work and glad you mentioned this.
Are cars expensive to hire or would i be better bringing my own car across when settled .
again any advice appreciated..

Bringing your own car would require you to import it

See http://www.gibraltarlaws.gov.gi/articles/2003s057.pdf  section 87.03 for the duty which is normally taken as the Glass's Guide value for the vehicle, although some customs officers are very obliging.
Then there is the problem of parking which is horrific, I normaly walk or take the bus which is free.

Not sure about hire cars as they are targeted at the tourist travelling in Spain, Spanish registered because the EU requires all Europeans to drive EU duty paid cars which Spain considers they have to be VAT paid and Gib does not have VAT.

Again I sugest you come and have a look

Regards

Grumpy

Thanks again Grumpy for the advice. I think  before I get myself dead set on moving to Gib I will take your advice and my thoughts are to definately just work for someone first. experience the way life is lived and then decide if i nvest in setting up a business out there. I expect once I get my head round the laws of the land and the way procedures are done i will have a better understanding of how to attack each problem at head once over there.
thank you again and i will keep looking for work and hopefully pop across in feb for a holiday and research alot while out there.
regards
Mark