Considering Job Offer in Pemba

Hi

I am considering a management position in Pemba. I curently live in the USA but I am no strange to living in sub Saharan countries. I understand that housing in Pemba is around 2500 US$ and 1200 US$ should be enough to get by with personal expenses like food and personal items.

I am leaving my family in the states for the first year so I will have to negotiate some trips home. I would welcome some suggestions from other executives in the area about important factors to consider when negotiating a compensation package to live in Pemba.

Hi there,

Accommodation 2500 US, depends on what you looking for, but it could be a bit on low side.
As for personal expenses, once again, depends on whether you intend on eating out much. Restaurants are generally very expensive. If you use the supermarket and local market for fresh goods then you will be fine on 1200 US.
Good luck!

Thank you for the help!

Hi,
Yeah i agree with the previous person,
It really depends what standard of living you are used to,
If you want typical comforts 4000 USD is to be expected, that should include services like a maid, as far as the living allowance goes i think 1200 USD is sufficient, i live on similar but eating out is extra that i end up just paying for myself, i must add that i do eat really well!! i must add i don't pay for Diesel for the generator or electricity, add 300 USD for that if the company doesn't cover it,
logistically getting home to the US is pretty straight forward, frequent flights to Johannesburg, it could be worse.
I'm an outdoor and adventurous person so i really enjoy Pemba, some guys might find it more difficult as you could get bored but overall its probably one of the better places to end up!
Good luck!

Hi there! I just left Pemba after an assignment as Country Manager for a medium sized international company, and before that another similar position. Living in Mozambique for >20 years now. Consider Company accommodation for 2-3'USD +water/power/gennie, company car w/ fuel etc 2'USD, Company cell phone 0,5'USD, Health insurance 0,2'USD, R&R trips 3-4/yr (will you be on rotation/back2back?), food allowance 1,5'USD, net salary 8-10'USD (after tax of 25%), hardship allowance, bonus?, retirement scheme. Later: school fees and spouse allowance, severance pay, mob. and demob. pay. Pls feel fre to contact me.