Rio Hato Airport...STATUS?

Does anyone know the actual and current status of the Rio hato airport? I am constantly coming into tocumen and have to rent a car there..would like to be able to land in Rio Hato so as to be closer to the interior...Anyone?

The Rio Hato airport is completed however; it was built to service the surrounding resorts and is currently being used only for charter flights i.e. Sunwing.  The last time I heard anything there were plans for other airlines to start flying in but again charter flghts servicing the resort areas.

Depending on your final destination, you could take the bus out of the city and rent a car later (Coronado, Santiago, David, etc.) Driving in Panama City is a pain.

Thanks for the update...

Cheers!

Sounds like a fesible alternative...Thanks..
Cheers!

The Rio Hato airport is very small airport. No duty free, no restaurants, no shops etc. Also, we had hard time finding a taxi or a car rental. We spoke to some people at the airport and were told that so far only one airline - Sunwing is flying there. Since the flight is once a week, the airport is open only on fridays.

Please check out our blog. we posted some pictures of the airport:
phphotoandtravel.blog.com/2014/11/04/panama/

Traveled in OCT2014