Wall Climbing

Hi guys! Hope y'all are doing great  :D

I've been wondering if anyone knows of a place offering wall climbing facilities? Either indoor or outdoor is fine. Really interested in learning it. Any experienced wall climbers here?

Bunch of thanks for any inputs!  :heart:

I haven't come across any yet but if you find one let us know.

Yes, I too have not heard of any, and will be interested to know if any such facility exists in Bahrain.

There used to be one at LPOD but they removed it as it was hardly used due to the heat. There is also one on the American base but it's only for soldiers. This in my opinion is something that is lacking in Bahrain and we should have some dotted around the island. My son really missing his rock climbing

I heard they were building one at the Moevenpick but am not sure if it is open for general public use

Thanks for the info..

That's disappointing.. Was really hoping to try it  :(

@Josnuggles - indoor facilities are the best considering the country's weather ..or the whole region for that matter.

@scottrace - i've heard of it too but it seems like they're offering it for company activities or something. will try to confirm that though.

If you do find out any more information regarding this then please let us all know.

I could remove the stairs at home and throw some ropes down and put a few studs in the walls. Could provide hours of entertainment :-)

Just saw an ad for the wall that is opening at Movenpick. It seems to be owned by Mandevco International and they plan to use it for corporate team building activities. It doesn't give much information about whether it will be open to the public or not.

@Jo - would you please invite me once you've successfully executed your home improvement project? lol  :par:

@silver - if its only for team building, i'm 100% positive i won't be able to go.. my co-workers are not exactly the sporty/adventurous type, sadly.

We can be the expat-blog corporate team of Bahrain and get in there.

Builders quotes are coming in thick and fast to remove stairs etc. Not sure hubby and cats are going to appreciate the slight design alterations  :o

@Jo - I bet. they will not be amused at the slightest. Your landlord too.  :lol:

anyhow, since there are no available facilities.. what else is there to do to kill boredom?  :unsure ..no mountains to hike too  :(

"she don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie"....propane!

Don't rip out the stairs just yet Jo!

So according to Mandevco the climbing wall is open to the public on Saturdays by appointment. 25bd for 90mins.

[Moderated: pls post in the housing section]

@silver - hooray! could you please PM me the number that I can contact to schedule an appointment? thank you sooooo much!  :par:

pLush wrote:

@Jo - I bet. they will not be amused at the slightest. Your landlord too.  :lol:

anyhow, since there are no available facilities.. what else is there to do to kill boredom?  :unsure ..no mountains to hike too  :(

A nice walk in the desert is always possible, especially in the camping area. But with the annual camping season coming to a close and the weather heating up this may not be pleasant.

I have done this with some friends a few years back and it was a nice experience. Best done with people who know the terrain and in the cooler winter months.

silver356 wrote:

Don't rip out the stairs just yet Jo!

So according to Mandevco the climbing wall is open to the public on Saturdays by appointment. 25bd for 90mins.

Hey can you text me the details too please or post on here to benefit others (after we have gone obviously lol)

We can take all the kids together, Callum is actually a very good climber

For sure Jo, my guys love rock climbing too - I didn't ask about age restrictions though. The email address I used to contact them was [email protected]

I'm sure we could get enough people from Expat.com to make up the minimum of 6 required for a Saturday booking.

Never done this before, but if you need numbers to make up the 6 let me know. I could drum up the courage and give it a try.  :joking:

Information below from Silver

Good afternoon. Thank you for your inquiry regarding the MANDEVCO Climbing Wall. We do provide opportunities for the public to experience our wall, although we focus on corporate training and specifically, Experiential Learning.  Our offerings to the public are in two forms: Solo Climbing and Group Climbing.

Solo Climbing:

BY RESERVATION/ CONFIRMATION PRIOR to CLIMB

TIME: 90 minute "slots" - on SATURDAYS
MINIMUM Group Size: 6 Climbers
                        PRICE: BD25 per climber / BD10 Observer
                  INCLUDES: Refreshment Box
                                    All equipment (except shoes)
                                    First Aider in attendance
                                    + Certificate of Accomplishment
                                    + Photos

Note: Climbers must be wearing laced up training shoes.
* Please be aware that we retain a list of interested climbers to form a minimum of 6 people to climb. Once we have 6 people confirmed we then send out a notification for a proposed climbing date and await confirmation from all interested climbers. Sessions will not run with less than 6 climbers to ensure we meet costs.

Group Climbing:

TIME:  - Any day - Mornings 0900 - 1200 / Afternoon 1300 - 1600
     MINIMUM GROUP: 10 Pax
                 PACKAGE: Refreshments + WALL + Buffet Lunch at Movenpick
                       PRICE: BD400 per group - with 10% reduction for each additional climber / BD20 per observer
                INCLUDES: Refreshment box and Lunch (OR Dinner)
                                  All equipment (except shoes)
                                  First Aider in attendance
                                  + Certificate of Accomplishment
                                  + Photos

Note: Climbers must wear laced up trainer type shoes.

I hope this information is helpful and I invite you to send me any other inquires you may have. If you are interested in Solo Climbing please send me your details and I shall put you on the list for an up and coming climb. Currently, we have two members awaiting a Solo Climb session.

It's very expensive, In UK it cost us around BD5 for a session and shoes were provided!!

@Jo - that's the price we pay (literally) for limited facilities  :( i would still probably go next month.

Farhaz wrote:
pLush wrote:

A nice walk in the desert is always possible, especially in the camping area. But with the annual camping season coming to a close and the weather heating up this may not be pleasant.

I have done this with some friends a few years back and it was a nice experience. Best done with people who know the terrain and in the cooler winter months.

The problem is, I dont know anyone who knows the terrain. lol. Also, I'm not too keen on going to the desert with people I just met...

pLush wrote:

The problem is, I dont know anyone who knows the terrain. lol. Also, I'm not too keen on going to the desert with people I just met...

This is not something you could do now with the weather heating up.
By the time winter is upon us, you would have made good friends with trustworthy people here in Bahrain and then only you should think about this.

As a beginner, you could hike along the tarred roads in the desert camping area. That way you will be never "off the beaten track".

I do have good friends. They are just not into that stuff. The happiest they'll be is when they're with a tequilla or vodka, which isn't really my expertise. I'm not saying that hiking is, but i prefer to be sober than walk cross-legged.  :D

Josnuggles wrote:

It's very expensive, In UK it cost us around BD5 for a session and shoes were provided!!

It is super expensive and charging 10bd to watch is outrageous - I would hope it includes some very nice refreshments.

Hey, I've just moved to Bahrain and would like to keep up my climbing whilst here... Has anyone tried this wall yet? Or, found a different one?! Thanks

I was only discussing this a couple of hours ago with my son. He used to do a lot of rock climbing in the UK but Movenpick is just stupid money. So expensive that we haven't bothered trying it.

Any feedback would be good if others have gone there.

Yes, from reading ^^ it does sound pretty extortionate! Hopefully I can persuade work to pay for some "team building"?!