Resident Visa - About to Expire :(

Hi All,

Brief about my Profile:
Experience: 8.5 Years of Software Testing/ Business Analyst/ Development experience
Company: Investment Banking

I had applied for the Resident Visa in 2009. Waited patiently for 2 long years to get the Blue stickers.

1. I visited Auckland in 2012 for 1 month to find a job, but got only 1 interview in 1 month in which they eventually hired a local person after 3 rounds of interview. Although I had much more experience and was ready to work at negotiable rates

2. I kept on applying for the next 2 years without any luck

3. Now my visa is about to expire by this month end since my Travel Conditions are getting exhausted.

4. The problem is I am so fed up that after trying and waiting and applying for thousands of jobs nothing worked out :)

I just thought of sharing my experience to anyone who may get some help in getting some real insights.
The frustrating part is I have tried whatever ways I could possibly could while being in NZ and out of NZ but it is simply impossible to get a job!!

I have a fantastic experience and above average skillset but am extremely disappointed at the way people think over there.

This was not at all expected. Funny part is even the WorkingIn team does not help, they just take your CV and ask you to stop applying anywhere because they will apply on your behalf and they never help in anything :)

I would really like to raise this at the highest level if possible with the Immigration agency of NZ.

Thanks,
Hope that Never Dies !

Thank you for sharing your honest, personal experiences. There are many tens of thousands like you - talented, smart, well-educated - who, lured by marketing, come to New Zealand only to find they are shut out. Sorry, but that is the way it frequently goes here.

You could make complaints, but when was the last time you read or heard about someone like yourself who was successful doing so (making a complaint)? What makes you think that the same (kind of) people who won't hire or help you, do not also work in the various government ministries and departments? (Hint: they do and they are the same). Even if you could stay a while longer, is anything likely to change for you?

You should nourish your optimism and widen your view. Just because New Zealand did not work out for you, don't consider yourself a failure - you're not. There are many other places in the world which are more welcoming and in need of talented people - just ask the 20% of the New Zealand native population who have emigrated elsewhere.

New Zealand is a place where you either fit - or you dont. Success here has little do with your foreign experience, education, knowledge and skills, and more to do with how well you assimilate and are accepted. That is why all the HR and recruitment companies will assess you based on your New Zealand experience - and whether you have any. It is not just because they might be biased; it is because they know that their clients whom they are recruiting for care more about you pretending to act like a kiwi (which is dull and depressing, frankly), than getting the job done. That is why that first job is critical - and why anyone interested in moving to New Zealand really needs to understand what it takes to get along here, and whether it is in your DNA to do so.

Bro I think look for any other field like health care and hospitality.

Re your experience in trying to get a job in New Zealand where I live, My son who has had 18 years of IT experience working all over the world came over here and started applying for jobs. It is a chicken and egg situation!. ie you need a work permit to get a job and you cant get a job without a work permit!. After 9 months of travelling all over New Zealand to job interviews  where he was told he more than suited for  the work permit came into play. Frankly the Kiwis cannot be bothered with helping anyone get a work permit if they don't need to!. My son eventually got a job down on the south island on minimum wages for his skillset. When he applied for his residency visa the first question asked by the immigration people was why are you working for low wages and they contacted the company he worked for and they were forced to up his pay by 10000 dollars to represent his true working wage that Kiwis were getting for the same type of work. So do not come to New Zealand thinking it is a land of milk and honey, It can be but boy you will pay for it.

My daughter is a Permanent resident and got there through the work to residency process. In essence, it meant that she had to work for a few years for approved/accredited employers at a lower salary / position than she would have hoped for, and of course, these working visas/ permits cost quite a bit. She used an accredited agent. After working hard for the qualifying period she applied for and now has PR. She now works at an appropriate level and is making good progress in her field. It might be better to broaden your search and lower your expectations if you are not getting positive responses from your first choice? I appreciate that it can be hard to get by on the lower salary, particularly if you have dependent family, so perhaps Its not an option open to all. Good Luck.

Sadly to the first poster, your experience is all too common.  Kiwis will tell you it's not what you know it's who you know.  Even for those of us with decades of experience (allied health) and on the skill shortage list, work is hard to find.  We found that in order to fit in we had to substantially downgrade our skills and keep our mouths shut.  I hear the same story from other expats, even those who like living here.

To add to the confusion,  my non qualified son (social care sector) came here on a visitor visa, asked about for work, was offered a job, and got a work permit without any problem.  He left NZ after 3 years but keeps in touch with his employer who is still keen for him to return.   It would appear there is no hard and fast rule.   I do believe your country of origin plays a huge part in finding work.  Finding one who does not think that way is all down to pure luck.

There is no point in making a complaint, as the problem you describe apparently does not exist.