Tenant without Water in The Bathroom

My topic is on the rights for tenant in this country (Dominican Republic)? My girlfriend has been without hot water and running water in her bathroom for a year. She currently has a big tank in the shower and use this water to pour in the toilet to flush, wash hands and heat up on the stove to take a shower. She has asked the owner to fix the situation because it was not this way when she moved there. He told her, it is her problem and she needs to fix it. She pays her rent on time every month and never complained because the rent is cheap. Is this fair and humane to live this way?

I think she needs to contact the president of her apartment complex or the secretary. Some tenants where I live sometimes have the same problem.

its an individual home

Since its been a year I'm gonna say contact a lawyer. Or embassy for further assistance there's a website for for folks living abroad needing assistance maybe they can guide her in the right direction. Hope it helps and that really sucks that she is dealing with that.

I live in the USA but she lives in DR. I don't believe the USA embassy would be of any help. Contacting a lawyer is the next step however, I want to make sure she even has a legitimate complaint or if this is the Dominican way. Just don't seem right. Thanks for your advise

You welcome I think its DR migrant services

Actually you need to contact a Dominican Lawyer to look into this.

On the other hand ...why not move????

Bob K

My fiance also suggest moving..she's dominican

The problem with just moving is that if she has a rental contract and it states that she is responsible for all repairs, then the landlord could probably force her to fix the problem with the bathroom anyway. Only a lawyer can give adequate advice on this matter.

Cheers,
James           Expat-blog Experts Team