Register foreign marriage in India.

Hello everyone!

Anybody here who got married  (civil marriage and traditional marriage) to a foreigner girl abroad and got their marriage registered in India?

What were the procedures and how long did it take to register the marriage as per the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969?

Also, if both of them are Hindus, can they get their marriage registered as per Hindu Marriage Act rather than as per the Special Marriage Act?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Why don`t you visit the nearest court in your locality and question an office employee who is responsible for course of the proceedings? You can get first-hand information. Nobody will tell you more clear and detailed.

I am the opposite; I am a foreigner who married an Indian woman. Getting the marriage certificate itself was easy, but getting it accepted by the Chamber of Horrors (otherwise known as the FRRO or Foreigners Regional Registration Office ) for a PIO Card was a nightmare, as described in my blog post
Other information can be found here.

Micky Fernandez wrote:

I am the opposite; I am a foreigner who married an Indian woman. Getting the marriage certificate itself was easy, but getting it accepted by the Chamber of Horrors (otherwise known as the FRRO or Foreigners Regional Registration Office ) for a PIO Card was a nightmare, as described in my blog post
Other information can be found here.

Thanks a lot for the info :)

Hello
Just want to know,I married Indian women while she was on here tourist visa ,once we registered here in foreign country ,does it necessary to register India too?

Raghu swed wrote:

Hello
Just want to know,I married Indian women while she was on here tourist visa ,once we registered here in foreign country ,does it necessary to register India too?

If you have Swedish nationality, first you must register your marriage with the Swedish Govt.. Then take your Marriage Certificate to an Indian Mission (embassy / consulate) near you and get yourself (and your wife) registered with them. They will just attest your Swedish marriage certificate, nothing else.
You should carry that attested document with you whenever you two travel to India together. There shouldn't be any problem.
Later, for OCI, better apply for it through the Indian Mission in Sweden. That will make things less complicated.

Thank you for your response, i didnt do It atembassy But she has registered her municipality also affadavit by court ,IT is not enough?

Raghu swed wrote:

But she has registered her municipality also affadavit by court ,IT is not enough?

Going back to your previous post, it seems she travelled to a foreign country (prolly Sweden) and you guys got married there... not in India.

As your profile says you are a Swedish citizen, if you marry an Indian national outside of India, SHE  must get her foreign Marriage Certificate verified and attested by Indian Mission in that country, before using it for any legitimate purpose back in her home country (India).

I wonder, how she could register her foreign marriage with her local municipality without a Govt. of India stamp on her foreign MC.

Court affidavit is ok, but even for that I wonder how the court could  approve her claim (of marriage) without a valid and verified document from a competent Indian authority.

Don't count on affidavit too much, especially from a lower court etc.

Just curious, is it a Swedish marriage certificate that you have?
Are you referring to social marriage or legal marriage?

Remember, as per a new law ANY document for international use (both inbound and outbound) MUST go through Ministry of External Affairs for verification and Apostille.... failing which it will be considered invalid and/or forged.

Btw, when your wife got married in Sweden, didn't she have to submit an affidavit for her Single Status (then)?
In that case it must have been through MEA and concerned Indian Mission before being accepted by the concerned Govt. department in Sweden.

Anyway, my advice is to keep the Indian Mission in the loop to avoid future complications.

Thx for your advice

Yes before,we get married,we have submitted to swedish tax office her unmarried paper and all,according to swedish law After submitted those requirements then only they give permission to marry,when we submitted those indian side paper and Got married registered here with swedish certificate again need to go indian mission?

Raghu swed wrote:

Yes before,we get married,we have submitted to swedish tax office her unmarried paper and all,according to swedish law After submitted those requirements then only they give permission to marry,when we submitted those indian side paper and Got married registered here with swedish certificate again need to go indian mission?

Did your wife visit Indian Embassy in Stockholm AFTER getting married to you?
If not, I'd suggest she should.

Since she is an Indian citizen, it's expected that she should put your name (a Swedish national) as her lawful husband and register her marriage with Indian Embassy in Stockholm.

Nothing to worry!
Embassy won't do anything, neither will they ask any questions etc.
It's a legitimate marriage under Swedish law and they are already aware of it as they had processed all the Indian paperwork.
They will just attest (with an MEA stamp)  the Swedish Certificate you two have.

In future, in case you guys face any problem anywhere in the world or in India, this Govt. of India attestation stamp on your Swedish certificate will save you lot of unnecessary hassles.

Thank you for your Idea to sharing me ,IT help lots.actully we didnt know all this After registered sweden kommounity Office and tax Office she went back to india ,now this is time to apply her ressidency ,IF didnt register indian embassy in sweden What else Can i do?
Do i go to india and register else Where or What?

That's precisely why I suggested you guys should register your marriage with the Indian Mission in Sweden.

Anyway,  since she's already back in India, whatever she has done (registering her marriage with her local municipality and court affidavit) is enough for the moment.

No need for you to travel to India. You are a foreign national, you have nothing to do with registering your marriage in India or with Indian Mission. Your wife needs to do all these.

In India it's a far more complicated and lengthy process.
The  reason is if you want an Indian MC, you have to get legally married in India once more (as per the Hindu Marriage Act or the Special Marriage Act). In your case, it'd be the latter.
Honestly, even the Indian Missions abroad discourage already married couples (married abroad) from pursuing this option.
Instead, they always advise to get your foreign MC verified and stamped by the IM.... and subsequently by MEA in India.

In your wife's case, let her prepare all paperwork for Swedish residency. Sooner or later, she or you will have to visit Indian Mission in Stockholm to get her Indian documents verified.
At that time you can consult them on how to get your marriage registered with them.   

As long as she remains an Indian citizen, she should keep the IMs in the loop.

For residency in Sweden, a Swedish MC will suffice. I think so.

At any point, if you decide to live in India or in a third country, an MEA legalized foreign MC will save you and your wife from all sorts of hassles.

Hello,

I am from Malaysia and married with husband from India also. We're married in Malaysia and everything settle here. The question is my husband now back to India and I was in Malaysia due to settle some work. How we could register our marriage in India as I will settle in India and did I must bring husband together to get apostles from Indian MEA?

Please help me. Thanks

Hi,
Good morning. You can apply for marriage certificate from India govt.just apply your form in India. If you have any pictures of your marriage ceremony also summited there.you can get marriage certificate in 1 week.after that you can apply for indian passport.if need more help please inbox me
Aidan Choudhary

I have same problem plz help me
After marrying abroad, what is the process of making foreign girl an Indian citizen?