Idea of doing business...

Today my boss said to me if I want to do business with the university's help? My university will help someone who want to open a company. They will invest everything, place, even so much money if I can write a detail plan. If I will be sucess then, I can be seperated to do business alone.

I just have 2 ideas about this:
1. A company can provide fresh vegetables, really fresh. This is not easy for me, because my major is IT, not agriculture.
2. Education business, teach IT or something for students with cheap fee. My university is so big, we have much land to do many things. I think this is better project, and its not so hard for me, because I will have many colleague to help me.

If you have any ideas, pls share with me! Thank you so much.
Never do business before, so I dont have any experience.

Hi chi

Both ideas are nice and practical. Maybe I can give you a hand

Firstly, fresh vegetable is very important and most of vegetable even in supermarket is not really fresh n safe. U can co operater w some of ur colleagues or friends whose hometown from Dong Nai or some nearby provinces to supply and sell to citizens

Secondly, the second idea is good for students who wanna study. But in my opinion, u can also spend time teaching at ur Uni, just be at the extra class sometimes to teach them and most of the time for them are practicing. U can hire a student to be there looking after the class. And ur student will get a good job too

Btws, i wanna share w u a fb page Tony buoi sang. U may find a lot of helpful advices on business and other meaning of life

Good luck and tell me if u need any support

Sarah

You have two choices:
1. Do something you are really interested in - so instead of work it is more of a heartfelt pursuit or 'hobby';
2. Using your education in a way to help those not so fortunate to get a technical education. You might inspire tomorrows generation of engineers.

Growing vegetables is not so simple, and definitely not profitable given the cheap Chinese (relabelled Vietnamese) imports. It is so dependent upon weather, and lack of disease. If HCM was ideal for vegetables, ask yourself why they grow them on the Central Highlands given the high cost of transportation?

Hi Ms Ngattt
There are lots of companies focusing on fresh vegetables already. And it's not easy to grow a truly pure vegetables at all. So just do what you know most - opening a IT school. Cheap school fee for poor students. And you will have no time to browse expat-blog  :par:

@Sarah: thanks em gái! What you thought is my thoughts in long time before.

@Jaitch: thanks for your nice advice. I really wanted you give me some thoughts. I really like to plan tree, even when I bought land, the first thought is that I must have big land to make my dream become true. That's why I have that idea :D. I have land now, but I don't have time to do that :D. I know it's not easy to make this plan come true, when I was growing vegetables, I had some experience.

@Zanchun: yes, you are so right, I will think about that... BTW, I have done business for some weeks. But I was so busy, I taught so much so I can't focus on it :D. Just back to business yesterday, today I had 4 orders. But poor me, now even I don't have much money to do everything I want :D. Nothing is easy, right?

I still think about education project, high priority. I thought about it so much before, when I saw my students don't have enough skills for working after graduating. Thanks for your good advices. I really appreciate.

Actually, your major as IT might be a big plus, not disadvantage.

The problem of fresh veggie sellers is that they need to sell directly to their customers, and their products must be known clearly that it's clean and safe. Communication and marketing, see? That translated into a media plan to connect sellers and buyers, center around social media (FB?) and website, so that customers will provide honest feedback and recommendation to potential customers.

The problem is that green veggies business may not have enough margin to pay for IT cost and maintainance. that segment of customers shall be high ended, who are willing to pay more for clean produces.

Education: school, tutor services... I do think that market, for IT, is saturated. There's a lot of middleman agencies to connect teachers and students for a fee. they are long established, if not in agencies, then in personal experience. i dont believe you can make headway in that market.

Try a off-the-wall suggestion then:

Inter-city live shoots of traffic. You create an website that show live, or as near real time as possible, pictures or videos of road's traffic. Users can use the images and videos to determine which route to use. Real time chat can provide details also.

Thanks Laclongquan_travel!

These days I am doing business, it's quite good, I can sell shoes everyday. But still I felt a little boring even once I sold 6 pair of shoes in 2 hours for chatting with my colleagues, got some new orders from them, and didn't spend any money for ads on FB.

Sometimes I felt I want to give up  :lol:  because some people just came, ordered, and disappeared, didn't say anything. I need time to be familiar with business. Now I know, doing business is not easy for me :D. It's because when I order anything, I always tried to confirm to others that I will buy or not. I always try to live responsibly. So, if anyone order and disappear, I feel very disappointed, easy to angry. But, that's life, right?

I will try to do this, and then, if I am successful, I will think about another plan :D. Now I don't dare think about this plan anymore. Thank you so much!

Think about on line education if you can develop web based communications. Do  research on potential market I mean your target market. If your market research is reasonalbe and well done, I will join your business as investor. No kidding.

Focus on education! I have a friend who started english class with 3 students only, she is techibg for free.

Now she is famous in phouc tinh and teaching 200students. Just 2 hours a day and 200k vnd per month. Try to multiply how much she is earning per month.

First you need to have a good reputation in teaching in order to have lots of student. Goodluck dear!

I hate to tell you this but your friend's model of business is not sustainable, if there's only one of her or one more teacher. The classes will get stale quickly and you will shed your students after some months passed.

ariscat wrote:

Think about on line education if you can develop web based communications. Do  research on potential market I mean your target market. If your market research is reasonalbe and well done, I will join your business as investor. No kidding.

Thanks for your offer.
I think about education, because we have near 1.000 students in a year. Many students always can't pass a subject in the first time, because IT is quite difficult. The problem is, many of them chose IT because of family, because after graduating they will be easy to get a good job with high salary (compare to other fields). They don't have a passion with IT, they are lazy.

When I taught them, I tried to make them passion with IT, but its not easy to do it, because we have many student in 1 class. I can't spend time for all. Though I am very strict when I teach, force them do many exercises, but I can't cover all students, still many fail their exams... Even I teach from 7am to 11h45am, but still waited them finish their exercise, until near 1pm. If they passion with what they do, I will try to encourage them do with the best effort, even I lost almost my free time for them :D.

Still I must study so much, because there are many diffirence when I work in this university, just joined near 2 years.  In the past, I work with Microsoft's product, now I work with open-source product. That's why everything just in my plan, I can't do everything I want now, because if I do anything, I want to do with the best efforts to bring the best results. Poor me, I am a person who always wish everything perfect :D

BTW, my student just chatted with me, she tell me that: I tell you this, but you shouldn't be sad, many your students said to me, because you are a "perfect" person (she means I always wish everything perfect), that's why nobody wants to love you :lol:, they are afraid... In Vietnam, it means "ế"  :cool:. Never think they think like that, kakaka  :o

Dont teach passion. Passion is something few gets. Instead, teach practicability. IT skills are something necessary in every jobs and they wont have to worry about finding one if they have them. IT wage is better, and they work in-door... Also, Viet workers have terribad IT skill level.

I know, it sounds terribly mundane and quite a few will turn up their noses, thinking "How boring!" UNFORTUNATELY, the reasons are all true.

A side note: Do you teach students to use online collaborative functions of Office in Uni yet?

laclongquan_travel wrote:

Dont teach passion. Passion is something few gets. Instead, teach practicability. IT skills are something necessary in every jobs and they wont have to worry about finding one if they have them. IT wage is better, and they work in-door... Also, Viet workers have terribad IT skill level.

Thanks for your advices. But, pls give me a solution, in my situation. I have 100 or 150 students in a theory class, and it divides to 3 practical classes, with 50 students in a practical class. Many of them just passed one subject about programming. And I teach the second programming subject. Some don't know anything about programming. They feel hard ==> bored ==> they want to give up. I always talk to them about the passion. I try to teach them from simple thing to hard thing, to make them feel comfortable when they study. I am very strict, but also make everything funny always. They liked to study with me, but everything seems hard for them to understand.

I tried to force them do many exercises, about 8-10 exercise/1 week, I help them 2-3-4 exercises in the class, and the rest, they will do at home, with a my promise, those exercises will include in the midterm-exam :D. We have FB group to answer every questions when they cant do exercises.

In the past, I forced them give me all these exercise everyweek, but I can't mark all those exercises. Just because I was very angry when I know some students copy the solutions from others, even they didn't repair anything. Some are very lazy :(. Marking exercises made me angry always, it's not good for my health/beauty, so I changed my way to face with my students :P.

Last Sunday, I waited my students until 1pm (they did exercise from 7am, near 6 hours already (in the schedule, they have to study in 2.5 hours), but they didn't want to come back home if they still haven't finished, even I was very hungry, I didnt have breakfast yet, but waited :D). Today, again, some students did exercises from 12h30pm until 5pm, they finished them, but when I asked them something, they couldn't answer, and I let them back home and didn't sign their name in my attendance list :D. Before they leaved, they smiled when they said: teacher, you are very diabolical - "độc ác - tàn nhẫn" :D

I always teach them everything I know, about how to live happily, how to think positive always, how to make people happy, satisfy with their attitude; how to make a good report, how to search information on Internet... everything I know, I always try to teach my students. And some of them, after talking to me, from a bad student, they tried to study very hard to get a good scores. Some always said to me: I feel time flies so fast when I learn with you. Just near 2 year I have taught, still need time to improve myselft. That's why, I love my job so much, even I can't earn enough for myself, still love it, he he :D.

IT's a simple solution to go with my practicality suggestion: Dont Try So Hard.

Seriously. The number of passionate students about programming in your class will be few. Their classmates wont share that passion and feel puzzled why people can get all hot and bothered about it. They are there because IT skills is a hot class, so they follow trends. A hard class just mean they will copy stuffs from hardworkers, it doesnt mean they will try harder.

Be practical. Accept upfront that a number of them will try to coast through your class. Hell, if I could, I would coast through all my enforced Accounting classes. Absolutely sleep inducing class, physically, even though I understand the abstraction, and my teachers were quite good about it.

You being an active teacher wont teach them a thing more. It just tire your students... Well, if you want to, you can.

iamunicaija wrote:

Focus on education! I have a friend who started english class with 3 students only, she is techibg for free.

Goodluck dear!

Thank you, dear!

I am doing business now, but no education. Selling shoes, talked to you a long time ago, when you wanted to buy shoes :D. I like shoes so much, I have about 20 pair of shoes already. Now I hope I can have a collection of shoes, I can choose any shoes I want when I go out :P. My students said, why you wear new shoes everyday :D?

It's not easy for me, but I will try all my best. Hope I can be succesful with this business, although sometimes I feel tired, because I work so much.

But, however, education is my choice in the near future, if I still want to do business and earn money to do something :D.

I can't imagine selling shoes. Wide, medium, narrow and then all the sizes and forms.  :/ 
But I've been buying shoes on Ebay recently. But I might get it horribly wrong, now and then. Moreover, they may never reach me here in Vietnam.

Q: how do you do this? You show them a model shoe, then take their size and order a few shoes every week?

@hs0zfe: yeah, it's not easy to sell shoes, because they have many size, many colors. Sometimes my customers order, but I don't have the size, or color they want :(.
With Vietnamese we always have size from 35 - 39. And some shoes is quite not exactly. That's why you must check carefully. I will try them first, and give customers some advices. I will choose what I like first, I tried them first, if I felt the quality is ok, I will buy them. And I sell a little cheaper than others, when someone buys, they will introduce for your friends, and I will free ship for that person in the next time... something like that :D. Always keep my promise.

And I have many colleagues in my university, some will buy 2-3 pair of shoes at the same times, because the price is cheaper than many online/offline shops...

When I started about 1 month ago, my brother didn't like this, he didn't help me all his best. I tried to do everything alone, didn't say anything, just work and work very hard, hope he change his thought. And now, when many people want to buy, he knew he was wrong, so now he helps me a lot. We all know much about IT, my brother has just graduated architect, he can took pictures, repair them...

Just really started 3 weeks ago, still try all my best to do everything I want. Its the fact that sometimes I felt tired and wanted to give up :D.

And my job still is teaching, I have monthly salary, teaching salary, enough to live normaly :D. I do business because I want to have money for travel :lol.

Hello,

I have recently arrived in HCMC with my wife who is a lecturer at RMIT.

My background is as an Accountant and Fund Manager in Australia and I have extensive commercial experience.

I am seeking VN partners to discuss some business ventures to conduct in my time here and would be interested in meeting for a coffee to evaluate whether we have any synergy to share in a new venture.

If you believe that this may be possible please contact me on my email [email protected]

Regards,

Michael.

contact me if you interested in my delivery website:
2happy2shop.com
I've started operating it, but I'm offering 50% of shares to someone motivated in managing it.
I also plan to add more products, especially vegetables.
My e-commerce platform is also a product to work on.
Thanks,
Max

Hi, I just read your post so might be a bit late.

Seeing as the University is involved why don;t you do something more education oriented? Like start a new English club that offers great value to its students.

Contact me if you want to discuss.

Thanks

Chris

Dear ngattt !
A company with fresh vegetable is not easy to do. And in the future the Japanese will do it in Dalat. I very like to eat fruits and vegetables but i can't. B/c almost of them made in China... Fruits and vegetables in China are cheaper... So if you can build a fresh vegetable company i will be your loyal customer. ha ha ha ha

Thanks everybody. I am little busy these days so I will reply later.

LUCIFER24 wrote:

Dear ngattt !
A company with fresh vegetable is not easy to do. And in the future the Japanese will do it in Dalat. I very like to eat fruits and vegetables but i can't. B/c almost of them made in China... Fruits and vegetables in China are cheaper... So if you can build a fresh vegetable company i will be your loyal customer. ha ha ha ha

Hey, I see your avatar, I think we met somewhere, at a quiet bar (I forgot the name, and name street), with many Expat.com members. You are from Singapore. You said: I am a teacher, you are a lecturer, you are higher than me 1 level. Hahaha :D!
Am I wrong?

Thank you for your support in the future, kakaka :D. If I can do that kind of business, I am sure I will contact you, hihi.

maxvigier wrote:

contact me if you interested in my delivery website:
2happy2shop.com
I've started operating it, but I'm offering 50% of shares to someone motivated in managing it.
I also plan to add more products, especially vegetables.
My e-commerce platform is also a product to work on.
Thanks,
Max

Max, thank you so much. These days I am really busy for teaching, making tests for students, so I couldn't spend time for business, just sell very little.
I think if I want to do business well, I will have no time for my students, for teaching, for studying... I am greedy, always want to have many things  :sosad:
Now I am wondering so much...

ngattt wrote:
LUCIFER24 wrote:

Dear ngattt !

Hey, I see your avatar, I think we met somewhere, at a quiet bar (I forgot the name, and name street), with many Expat.com members. You are from Singapore. You said: I am a teacher, you are a lecturer, you are higher than me 1 level. Hahaha :D!
Am I wrong?

Thank you for your support in the future, kakaka :D. If I can do that kind of business, I am sure I will contact you, hihi.

They dont look similar at all Nga. The Singaporean man name is Darren. You are not so good at remembering people, huh :)

chippy1989 wrote:

Hi, I just read your post so might be a bit late.

Seeing as the University is involved why don;t you do something more education oriented? Like start a new English club that offers great value to its students.

Contact me if you want to discuss.

Thanks

Chris

Thank you for your idea.
Sure I will do something like that. I want to open some class to teach IT, English for my students. But not now, I need time to improve my knowledge.
But in the near future, I will start a English club for my students, and sure I will need some people to help me...

Michael70 wrote:

Hello,

I have recently arrived in HCMC with my wife who is a lecturer at RMIT.

My background is as an Accountant and Fund Manager in Australia and I have extensive commercial experience.

I am seeking VN partners to discuss some business ventures to conduct in my time here and would be interested in meeting for a coffee to evaluate whether we have any synergy to share in a new venture.

If you believe that this may be possible please contact me on my email [email protected]

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I wish my English is good enough to discuss about business with foreigners :D.
I really want to do business with honest people, who always willings to help each others to make everything become better. Because sometimes I felt very disappointed with many people, they don't have any passion when they do anyhing.

If we have a chance, maybe we will talk about this more. But I don't have any experience about business, you will feel bored when talk to me :D.