New members of the Italy forum, introduce yourself here

Hello,im just new here i just wanna ask if possible travel to norway without carta identita only permisso soggiorno and passport have it.does anyone can help me?thanks

Hi everybody!! My name's Alberto and I'm 34. I live in Milan and want to move to New Zealand!! I'm searching for new kiwi friends in Milan to help them if they need something here or just to drink a beer and have a few words...
I really want to move there! if someone has advices or idea just write me!!!
Bye!!!

Hi, My name is Maia. I am a freelance writer living in the Seattle, WA area.  I'm working on an article about what it is like to live the expat life as a senior, single woman. I'm researching this partly because I want to write the article, but partly because I've often daydreamed about becoming an expat. I am single myself, and 65. I'm particularly interested in Italy! I visited Florence and parts of Tuscany in 2013 and fell in love with the area, and I've been studying Italian. I've read many articles about couples who retire outside the U.S. But little about the experiences of senior single women abroad. If you are living in Italy as an independent, single woman, I would love to hear from you.

Maia

Hi, Welcome soon to Italy!! I am in Rome. Have you tried Skype lessons? I know someone that does them for 10 an hour if interested I can put you in contact with them.:)

You might want to look at Expats living in .... what area you are going to. They provide loads of info. 

Patti

Hello,
This is Masrur from Bangladesh.I am 19 and a university student on Fashion Designing.I am hard working and love to make new friends,in my free time i love to travel and work as a travel guide.
Hey have you ever visited Bangladesh??? Why not take some time to visit this country?? Now i am going to tell you guys about some Fair & Festivals of Bangladesh.............hope you will like this :)

Fair & Festivals of Bangladesh

Fairs and festivals have always played a significant role in the life of the citizens of this country. They derive from them a great amount of joy, entertainment and color for life. While most of the festivals have sprung from religious rituals, the fairs have their roots in the very heart of the people, irrespective of religion, caste or creed.

Pahela Baishakh
The advent of Bengali New Year is gaily observed throughout the country. The Day (mid-April) is a public holiday. Most colorful daylong gatherings along with arrangement of cultural program and traditional Panta at Ramna Park, is a special feature of Pahela Baishakh. Tournaments, boat races etc. are held in cities and villages amidst great jubilation. Many fairs are held in Dhaka and other towns and villages.

Independence Day
March 26 is the day of Independence of Bangladesh. It is the biggest state festival. This day is most befittingly observed and the capital wears a festive look. It is a public holiday. The citizens of Dhaka wake up early in the morning with the booming of guns heralding the day. Citizens including government leaders and sociopolitical organizations and freedom fighters place floral wreaths at the National Martyrs Monument at Savar. Bangla Academy, Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy and other socio-cultural organizations hold cultural functions. At night the main public buildings are tastefully illuminated to give the capital city a dazzling look. Similar functions are arranged in other parts of the country.

21st Feb, the National Mourning Day and World Mother Language Day
21 February is observed throughout the country to pay respect and homage to the sacred souls of the martyrs' of Language Movement of 1952. Blood was shed on this day at the Central Shahid Minar (near Dhaka Medical College Hospital) area to establish Bangla as a state language of the then Pakistan. All subsequent movements including struggle for independence owe their origin to the historic language movement. The Shahid Minar (martyrs monument) is the symbol of sacrifice for Bangla, the mother tongue. The day is closed holiday. Mourning procedure begin in Dhaka at midnight with the song Amar vaier raktay rangano ekushay February (21st February, the day stained with my brothers' blood). Nationals pay homage to the martyrs by placing flora wreaths at the Shahid Minar. Very recently the day has been declared World Mother Language Day by UNESCO.

Eid-e-Miladunnabi
Eid-e-Miladunnabi is the birth and death day of Prophet Muhammad (s). He was born and died the same day on 12th Rabiul Awal (Lunar Month). The day is national holiday, national flag is flown atop public and private houses and special food is served in orphanages, hospitals and jails. At night important public buildings are illuminated and milad mahfils are held.

Eid-ul-Fitr
The biggest Muslim festival observed throughout the world. This is held on the day following the Ramadan or the month of fasting. In Dhaka big congregations are held at the National Eidgah and many mosques.

Eid-ul-Azha
Second biggest festival of the Muslims. It is held marking the Hajj in Mecca on the 10th Zilhaj, the lunar month. Eid congregations are held throughout the country. Animals are sacrificed in reminiscence of Hazrat Ibrahim's (AM) preparedness for the supreme sacrifice of his beloved son to Allah. It is a public holiday.

Muharram
Muharram procession is a ceremonial mournful procession of Muslim community. A large procession is brought out from the Hussaini Dalan Imambara on 10th Muharram in memory of the tragic martyrdom of Imam Hussain (RA) on this day at Karbala in Iraq. Same observations are made elsewhere in the country.

Durga Puja
Durga Puja, the biggest festival of the Hindu community continues for ten days, the last three days being culmination with the idol immersed in rivers. In Dhaka the big celebrations are held at Dhakeswari Temple, where a fair is also held and at the Ram Krishna Mission.

Christmas
Christmas, popularly called "Bara Din (Big Day)", is celebrated with pomp in Dhaka and elsewhere in the country. Several day-long large gatherings are held at St. Mary's Cathedral at Ramna, Portuguese Church at Tejgaon, Church of Bangladesh (Protestant) on Johnson Road and Bangladesh Baptist Sangha at Sadarghat Dhaka. Functions include illumination of churches, decorating Christmas tree and other Christian festivities.

Rabindra & Nazrul Jayanti
Birth anniversary of the noble laureate Rabindranath Tagore on 25th Baishakh (May) and that of the National Poet Kazi Nazrul Islam on 11th Jaystha (May) are observed throughout the country. Their death anniversaries are also marked in the same way. Big gatherings and song sessions organized by socio-cultural organizations are salient features of the observance of the days.
[email protected],phone-01673332582

Tagore is the writer of our national anthem while National Poet Kazi Nazrul Islam is famous as Rebel Poet.

Langalbandh Mela:
At a place near Sonargaon (about 27 km. from Dhaka) a very attractive festival observed by the Hindu Community every year on the last day of Chaittra (last Bengali month) - mid April, when the devotees take religious bath in the river.

There are various other festivals that are habitually observed by Bangalees all the year round.
[email protected], Phone-01673332582

Ciao

Hi everyone! I have been living in Parma for 1 1/2 years now. I live a bit out of the city with my Italian boyfriend and our cat and work in a marketing agency. Boooring, I know :-D but I know that moving to Italy is a challenge and especially the beginning is often difficult, so I am happy to give a bit of advise to the newbies :-) I also have a blog were I write mainly about travel and cooking and even though this project is still at the beginning I'd appreciate any feedback! Don't worry, I can handle a bit of constructive criticism :-) lacucinadipiccipocci.weebly.com/

hello .i think its possible . i will travel to Oslo and Bergen at Dicember ,if you want we can make the travel together . I live at Torino and you? my number is 329 35 31 374 .
waiting for your call

Thanks for the suggestions, Patti. I do know how to use skype. But not everyone does or has access.
And I did search in the countries I'm interested in and sent messages to women in the age group that I'd like to talk with, but have gotten no replies. - Maia

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum+Off topic. Post your advert in the Housemaid jobs in Italy.]

[Moderated Off topic.]

hello I'm Cleo form Philippines! looking job opportunity in Italy hope to find one!

my childhood dream is to come and work in Italy!

Im ishanka. Im already in italy. In rome. Im looking for a hotel job or a job ina restourant or a cleaning job. Please help me to find

Hi I am a mature lady of Italian descent living in the USA. I am thinking of moving to Rome. I may have to work but Iam retired.Looking for info and friends. Hope everyone has a great day.

Hi All,

I'm Kamal - Born in Manchester, Parents are from India and i now live in Italy (lecce). I lived in North italy for 7 years working  as an Engineer in a Helicopter Company - last year, I left my job to start my own business. As they say in italian..chi viva'...vedra'!

Hoping to meet more people from all over the world and Italy, especially my new home town, Lecce.

Ciao.

Hi,
I am not an expact but would like to meet Engl.mother tongue people for cultural exchange.
My name is Patrizia.
I live and work in MIlan....
If you are interested please contact me at
[email protected]
Ciao!

Hi,
I'm Engineer and  I live in Milan since a decade and I wanna share my experiences here with people or guy who wanna knows more about this beautiful country Italy and Italian Culture.
I speak French (mother tongue), English and Italian currently and I also speak fairly German and Japanese.

If you wanna visit Milan (will depend also of my work schedule) and you need someone with wich discover this town and  visit some place, just send me a private message.

Hello All, my name is Ramilya, I am a student at Florence University, I am from Moscow, Russia, Nice to meet you

Welcome to Italia, the land of good food. majaa maadi

Hi my name is Angie.

I live in South Africa but I really want to move to Italy with a friend next year. I would like to get some advice from people that have done this before. I don't know where we could start off in terms of trying to find a job. I have recently finished my BCom Honours in Marketing Management. I joined this blog to try find connections that could assist with advice, information or help us find jobs. I will consider any job even if it is not in line with my qualification to start off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much

Hi,
I'm Carlo, I live in close to Monza and Milan. I'm just back from Durham, NC where I worked as visiting researcher at Duke University. I'd like to meet some international people to keep living that beatuiful experience I had with my lab mates and friends form all over the world in US.

Let me know if you guys are having any kind of meeting/happy hour etc..
Contact me!

Best
Carlo

Hi fellow members,

My name is Meg and I'm moving to Italy in June 2015. I will be based in Milano. I'm an Australian currently living in Brisbane. I would like to teach English to adults and business professionals while I'm there. I noticed some English schools mention that CELTA is the recommended qualification for securing teaching jobs at reputable schools in Italy. I have been researching for CELTA courses in Australia. Unfortunately, the only institution that has this course available is in another part of Australia from where I live. It will also not be completed until July which is not feasible. However, there are many TEFL courses available with either a 120 hours online only or 120 hours combined option with 20 hours of classroom training included. I would much appreciate if I could seek your advice on this matter. Would TEFL qualification be sufficient for the job market? If so, is solely online option just as good as combined? Also, I have read that most businesses do not employ in the months of July and August. Is this accurate as I would be arriving in late June. Many thanks in advance. Your assistance is much appreciated. I sincerely hope to hear from you.
Best,
Meg

Ciao a tutti,
I´m an Italian psychologist living close to Como. I´ve been teaching Italian to foreigners for 7 years in Germany and The Netherlands.
I hope to meet some new friends here :)

Ciao,
You can contact me so we can talk and get to know each other.
Patrizia

Hey, I am a student at Politecnico Di Torino. I like to play basketball and adventure sports. And traveling is something that gives me peace.
I'm kinda new here. So I'm looking forward to meet some new people.

Thanks,
Siva

Hey how's it going,
I've been living in Florence for the past couple months teaching english.  I met someone in Bologna so am moving there in january.  All the people I've met are Italian and it gets exhausting for me to try and speak italian all the time.  I'd love to meet any fellow english speakers in the area too!  Let me know if you ever wanna hang.

ciao Siva(#271),

Spero vi godete il vostro nuovo luogo e del college  :)

Cheers!
Sulakshna

Hi,

I'm Australian and my name is Karen.  After spending 6 weeks in Italy last year, I am itching to come back!  Would love to hear from fellow Aussies living and working in Italy, and how they are able to do it... I am coming back over in May for 3 weeks.   My interests are sketching, art, history, good coffee, travel.

Ciao a tutti!

Just joined, my name is Jasmine and I am a Canadian living in Bergamo, Italy. Currently just getting settled and curating my blog Questa Dolce Vita - (questadolcevita.com). Also looking for casual work (teaching practical English etc), either in Bergamo or the Milan area. Message me or e-mail should you have any ideas or happen to be in my city!

Cheers,
Jasmine

Hello People. A newbie here :)

I might be travelling to Bologna somewhere in April 2015. Prepping myself up and im here to know more on things that i should know before travelling there. I would like to stay there for a bit and maybe work there to sustain my living while im there.

More, if you are a Malaysian...currently living in Italy...I would love to hear your stories in getting yourself there in Italy. I am a Malaysian too of course :)

Looking forward to get to know all of u.

Regards,
Az

Hey, I'm Laura. I'm an English teacher from England! Moved to Palermo a few months ago and hoping to meet some other expats as my Italian is still rather limited (although I am taking lessons) and I haven't stumbled across an expat community in Palermo yet!

am lenah...English speaker from kenya..new in frosinone italy...stil learning the language...my husband is italian.My kids &i are attending italian classes...Any kenyan here??

Hi Rachel
Nice to meet you
Where did you find the Aupair position?
Im looking for something similar this year
Thanks

My husband and I have recently  moved to Italy, just outside of Rome, in the mountains. We have just retired from New Orleans,LA in the United States of America. We moved here for 1 year to be with my Italian  family. My husband does not speak Italian so we are looking for some friends to share our English with and for some familiar words.  We will be here for another 10 to 11 months. I was born in Sicily and I do speak Italian. Hope to hear from someone. Thanks! Sally

Hi Karen,

I'm an Australian living in Treviso near Venice. The job situation in Italy is not good unless you want to teach English. Italians are really waking up to the need for a good level of English if they are going to have a future and probably only outside of Italy where English is essential. Are you an EU citizen? If not, it will be almost impossible to get a work permit (permesso di soggiorno) at the moment. When you are here, you can get information about work permits from the Ufficio Stranieri. Every major town has its own Foreign(ers) Office. When I spoke with the Ufficio Stranieri in Treviso, I was told that the Italian Government is not issuing work permits to foreigners at the moment given the high level of unemployment in the country. You might find work 'in nero' (literally 'in black' / unofficial / cash-in-hand work) but then you are taking the risk of working illegally.

If you have qualifications to teach English, that would be your best chance to find work but, again, you would be unlikely to get a work permit to do that. You might find a school that is willing to pay you cash assuming you have quals and some experience. There is a big need for English teachers in Italy but most private English language schools need you to be an EU citizen in order to work legally. So, if you are an EU citizen with a CELTA or some other recognized qualification to teach English (avoid online-only courses) then there are plenty of jobs all over Italy. Check TEFL.com for vacancies.

I have a CELTA which I got from a company in Melbourne (MTA) before coming to Italy and I'm now teaching English here. It is possible to do a CELTA in four weeks but it's extremely intensive as I hear. I did mine over 11 weeks and that was tough enough! I didn't get a job through the tefl.com site but from schools I contacted directly - in person (in 2013 when I was here visiting rellies) or by email before I arrived last September. From my experience a CELTA or TEFL that is only done online is NOT highly regarded so you could be wasting your time and money with one of those. I did a combined online and classroom teaching course with MTA. Also, private English schools in Italy usually require a few years of teaching experience plus actual business experience for in-company teaching of Business English. You might find a school that would take you on with only an online course and no experience but I don't like your chances. In Italy, to work legally you need to be an EU citizen or have a work permit (which, as I said, the Italian government is not issuing at the moment due to the high levels of unemployment here). You may find a school that will take you on with a short term 'professionale collaborativo' contract (professional collaboration) which assumes you have relevant qualifications and experience but, as I understand, you can only earn up to a maximum of 5000 Euro per year working on that basis. It is possible to find private students and work for cash but that is a bit risky. I realize all this may not be very encouraging but let me know if I can help any more.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi everybody,

This is to inform you that this thread has been created for the introduction of the new members only, therefore if you have some questions it would be best if you can create a new thread please. :)

Thanks all

Priscilla

elaborate rit plz

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=437610

Thanks!

Closed