Return Flight date past 90 days

Hi,

I am a US citizen and will be traveling to Brazil (Sao Paulo) in December.  I plan to stay until end of April.  This is longer than the 90days period for which the visa is issued.

I understand I can get an extension there (and know how), however my question is can I buy the ticket with a return flight as planned (120 days)?  Will the customs allow me to enter the country (Brazil)?  Will they grant me a visa longer than 90 days or will it be 90 days and renew when the time comes? Or plain and simple will make me board the plane back home?

I know when I'll leave and return so I don't want to go through the hustle of changing the flight itinerary (and paying the fees) if possible.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Dean

If you are entitled to extend your stay, by virtue of not having been in the country for 180 days in the previous year prior to requesting the extension I don't think that the Policia Federal are going to give you much flack on entry, especially if you tell them that it is your intention to request an extension (prorrogação de estada). That said, I can't give you the definitive word on this since it has been so many years since I was on a VITUR Tourist Visa.

Hopefully one of our members with more current experience on the issue of return/outbound tickets will be able to enlighten you. If you're really worried you can buy a cheap 'throwaway' bus ticket for one of the neighboring South American countries for the 90 day mark of your initial stay. This will satisfy the regulation, it does not necessarily need to be a return ticket to the USA, just out of Brazil.

I think you will be able to purchase a ticket online at www.buscaonibus.com.br

Cheers,
James, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James

It shouldn't be a problem.

I did the same thing. Bought a ticket for a stay of 115 days...no issue at all.

Also, customs usually won't even ask for proof of a return ticket. The airline you're flying with to enter Brazil will ask for proof of onward travel, but I've never had customs ask for proof of onward travel

I am traveling with kids so... thanks.  I'm a lot more confident now.

Thanks again,
Dean

I did this prolongation a year ago and no one ever asked me about my return ticket.
I came back to Brazil a few weeks ago, and my return flight is much further than 90 days from my arrival, but again, no one asked me about the date of my return.
So really, you don't have to worry about this. Just enjoy your stay here! :)

Hi there, i had the same problem, flying out of the UK, when i booked in with TAP at Heathrow, TAP said i could not fly out because my return flight was 179 days  and my visa was, was for 90 days,,TAP said that if they fly me out, TAP would get find by the Brazilians for letting people fly with that did not have a Visa for the time they were in there country,,,, But what TAP did was to give me a ghost ticket that said i was coming back after 60 days,,, and told me to say that, the ghost ticket was going to be cancel two days after i get to brazil,,
it seam to me know one really cared when i get to brazil
so to sum-up its the airline and not the Brazilians that worry
and Iam just about to do it again but this time with BA, i will let you know if there as helpful as TAP

Thanks for the valueable information. Please do let us know how you make out with British Airways. It sounds like a great solution.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

I traveled with BA three weeks ago, and nobody asked about the date of my return. But maybe someone else will have different experience...

Did you, you lucky thing, god that's a weight of my mind, and just in case, I do get asked, I have a cunning backup plan,

In my experience in flying to other countries that require an onward tickets, is that the airline won't ask you if you have a return ticket if you bought the return ticket with them, it already comes up on their computer screen.

Also, SpanishPete, if your backup plan is to make a fake itinerary, it's a risk. Lots of success stories, but also stories of it not working out so well...especially lately. The airlines have caught on. I wouldn't suggest it. It's really not worth the risk. Just buy a cheap bus ticket out of the country and save the stress