Overstaying tourist visa

Hi Planner
We did see the colourful life in Boca Chica, but werent perturbed by it at all. It was less touristy than when we have stayed on the north side of the island. In fact we were the only 2 english people in the area & resort for two week, which seem bizarre at the time, but we loved it.
You offer of help with the bank account is very much appreciated, and once we have organised our next visit, we can hopefully arrange to meet up with you, so that you will be able to help us.
We didnt travel far but want to be able to when we re-visit.
One question that we would like to ask is - are we unrealistic to think that we could live off £2000.00 per month..
It has been really good to find people that we can ask questions of and get answers as quickly as you have replied.
Many thanks again - its all appreciated.

Glad we can help! Yes.your budget should be fine assuming you dont eat out evrry day of the week.

Depending when you were in Boca Chica it might not have been too bad but be aware it.can get overwhelming and not fun.

You will do fine on that budget.

But do rent before  you buy anything in Boca Chica

BObK

Excellent to know! Finally! Someone who seems to have good information! Everyone here "thinks" they know what they are talking about and that they have all the answers, but really it is just what they think they know and have only heard from someone else. We even asked a cousin of my husband's who works in the airport and he told us I would probably have to pay almost $125! (US)

All you need is the right website to check!!!

Right web site and right people

Bob K :-)

I need to know how much pay fee  as 6 months in DR  Please let me know about it ok thanks

I need to know how much pay fee in DR as 6 months .. Please let me know about it ok thanks

Here it is again:

VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA
CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP

Overstay fines in PESOS

032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 RD  from 30 days to  3 months

033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 RD from 3 months to 9 months.

034 De 9 meses a 1 año 2,500.00 RD from 9 months to 1 year

035 De 1 año a 1 año y 6 meses 4,000.00 RD from one year to 1year 6 months

036 De 1 año y medio a 2 años 5,000.00 RD from 1 1/2 years to 2 years.

037 De 2 años a 2 años y 6 meses 6,500.00 RD from 2 years to 2 1/2 years

038 De 2 años y medio a 3 años 9,000.00 RD  from 2 to 3 years.

039 De 2 años a 5 años 14,000.00 RD from 2 to 5 years. 

040 De 5 años en adelante 17,000.00 RD  over 5 years.

thanks for helping me .... :)

You are very welcome.

The topic is becoming a lot more interesting for me since I intend to spend my maternity leave in the Dominican republic.

when I lived in Sto Dgo back in 2001-2002 I got charged a lot less at Immigration in Sto Dgo and at the airport they actually asked me why they only charged me that little. It would have been a lot more expense at the airport.

One thing to consider with overstaying is that the European Airlines may not let you board the plan without a ticket that shows you are leaving in line with tourist card or tourist visa regulations so be careful when booking!

My partner who lives in the Dominican Republic told me that they are getting a lot strickter with the rules and regulations so be careful before you take up any work! Right now they seem to be focused on the Haitians and pretty much ignore Europeans but that doesn't mean that won't change in the future.

Now to my questions:
My partner and I are expecting our child in February and I would love to spend 8-9 months there with the baby. Does anyone know if I will have to pay overstay fees for the baby if I sort out its Dominican passport while we are down there?

Is it worth applying for a proper 1 year multiple entry tourist visa?

Personally I don't like Boca Chica a lot. I prefer Guayacanes or Juan Dolio which is just up the road from Boca Chica. But I guess when you are there for a while you will find the place that works best for you.

It might be worth getting in contact with expats that already live in the area as you don't want to be in a part of Boca Chica that's attached to a "barrrio". The local assumption still is that foreigners have money. so better be careful when selecting the location. Don't walk into the heart of it wearing flashy jewelry. watches or big cameras. Not to scare you but robberies do happen.

Try to rent somewhere with 24/7 security service. Making sure you feel save in the place. Local resorts are a lot different local flat / apartments. I would also make sure to change all locks once you move it. the previous tenant or landlord may have kept a copy with they are not allowed in the Dominican Republic!

That being said I lived in the Dominican Republic for over a year and have been down twice a year for over 12 years since then, usually staying in Sto Dgo and having private transport or taxis companies recommended to me by friends.
I have never been robbed but it did happen to my partner once so I am careful with what I do, what type of public transport if any you use and try to avoid any obvious routines.

If you use colmados (local small scale grocery stores) to deliver your shopping meet the driver at the door, pay and tip but don't let them carry stuff into the kitchen for you, unless you don't have tv or any kind of furniture ;) no need to give anyone ideas you.

Sannys  you make some good points. Using the Immigration office to pay the overstay fine NOW requires a medical certificate of good health!!  BUT pay at the airport and it is not needed. Go figure.

As to your baby - don't worry about the overstay fine but  do recommend getting the passport as it makes things easier for you.

Your second post, maybe you want to copy and paste that into the South Coast thread.  That is where others may likely appreciate it more.

if the baby is born there is it automatically a dominican?  if so ,can you get a dr birth certificate & passport for it> then when back in home country get a passport for it there also. bingo , dual passports w/out undue problems or expense. can that be done?

the baby will be born in Ireland but my partner will take the Irish birth certificate and register it in the Dominican republic straight away.
Holding both German and Dominican passports at the same time is no issue and actually makes things a lot easier.
Getting the passport might take some time so I was thinking get the German passport, I am German myself, first, enter on that one and then sort out the Dominican passport once we are in the Dominican Republic.
I am still in research mode. Baby isn't due till Feb and I was thinking of flying in late June so I still have some time but I wanna be prepared and check my options while I still have time for it.

A baby born here with at least one Dominican Parent or anywhere in teh world has the right to citizenship by birth. Dual citizenship is permitted in many many countries but not all.

A child born here of "illegal"  parents has currently no right to citizenship. but that is a whole other discussion.

yes get your child the German passport otherwise you cannot travel with the child.  Then get the Dominican passport when here.......... will be fairly easy.

AND congratulations!

Wow that was confusing.  But yes you will need a passport for the child to travel to the DR. So if getting a German passport is no problem start with that.

Bob K

Hi,

I've just read through this thread and I am wondering if either Bob K or Plannner could verify for me the increase in the exit cost for overstay? I am asking on behalf of the cruising community here in Luperon. It is very frequent for cruisers to stay more than 30 days here, most of us stay for the hurricane season and in fact some of us have even been here a few years. Up to recently we were paying according to the fees that Bob K stated at the beginning of this thread. This week however we received this new schedule of fees as detailed below, the increase is exhorbitant. But also what we are concerned about is that it is signed by the local immigration guy, the Supervisor Encargado Muelle de Luperón, Eligio A. Reyes Rodriguez.

The fees, as of the 31st of October 2014, are as follow:
De 1 dia a 3 meses    RD$2,500.00
De 3 a 9 meses        RD$4,000.00
De 9 a 12 meses        RD$5,000.00
De 12 a 18 meses    RD$6,500.00
De 18 a 24 meses    RD$8,000.00
De 24 a 30 meses    RD$9,500.00
De 30 a 36 meses       RD$11,000.00

Do this means that if you stay less than 30 days, you still have to pay RD$2,500.00?

There are also on the same form Enrolos y Desenrolos fees which have also gone up from RD$500.00 to RD$1,500.00

Is this just the local guy trying to make some money off of us or have the fees really gone up by that much?

Planner mentioned a website, I couldn't find one. This one doesn't work migracion.gov.do.

Thanks.

I think you are being scammed.
Here are the fees I have:
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 año 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 año a 1 año y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 año y medio a 2 años 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 años a 2 años y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 años y medio a 3 años 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 años a 5 años 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 años en adelante 17,000.00 - RD $5,000.00

Bob K

H i  Bob And planner how  can I find out If the over stay Went up because I called and they told me for 3 month I had to pay $4,000  who can we call to find  out and what can I do if I don't have all the money to pay them the overstayed  do to that I got Rob here when I came to visit and They broke my arm can someone help me and tell me what I can do  I have to go back to New York to get operated

Greetings el coqui, sorry to hear about your assault, we recently had someone on here who was also assaulted in PP, could you tell us a bit more about what happened to you? It would help other readers avoid some of the pitfalls that present themselves about unknowing tourists. As far as who to call, I would try the department of tourism or the American consulate in DR, that would be your best bet, sorry to hear about your incident, how long ago was the assault? Where there on vacation or are you a resident? Please share and good luck on decifiring the fees situation. By the way who did you call to get those numbers quoted?

Lets keep this relevant to the topic. As far as I know there has been NO change to overstay fees.  I've seen nothing in the news or anywhere else on this.

I will try to confirm tomorrow.

I will talk about My story later on  I'm from Queens New York Bron and race this is my second time visiting this country I'm In Dominican Republic right now I just want to go back home and get  operating I'm staying in Santiago and I need to know how I really need to pay

Bob's post is correct. Nothing has changed.

Planner thanks. I also have not heard or read of any changes.

Bob K

Lo Siento all.  I did some digging this morning and to me it seems that the fees have increased.  Your tourist card is still good for 30 days but that is not indicated on the fee schedule. Here is the new fee schedule I found this morning

The fees, as of the 31st of October 2014, are as follow:
De 1 dia a 3 meses RD$2,500.00
De 3 a 9 meses RD$4,000.00
De 9 a 12 meses RD$5,000.00
De 12 a 18 meses RD$6,500.00
De 18 a 24 meses RD$8,000.00
De 24 a 30 meses RD$9,500.00
De 30 a 36 meses RD$11,000.00

Seems a way to force those of you that are "living" here to get your residency.

Bob K

Holy crap  where did you find that Bob,  no one is aware of this!!!!!  I am sending to ALL My contacts too!

I googled it

Bob K

Me too and found nothing, in fact had gone yesterday to the govt site..........ok  well it is what it is now.

it is official  The over stay in Dominican Republic went Up here is the new fee
30 dia a 3 meses RD$2,500.00
Wow this is a big increase you take a look at the old032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 año 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 año a 1 año y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 año y medio a 2 años 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 años a 2 años y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 años y medio a 3 años 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 años a 5 años 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 años en adelante 17,000.00 - RD $5,000.00  now what can I do if I got robbed and they took all my money

yes i was in dr jan to may 2014 and no problem 1000 peso ..also i bought a brand new 200 cc cg motorcycle in dr lis. ins. and title total out door 41900 pesos about 950. us  and drove all over dr from north coast to south coast ..some people call me crazzyy but i have travel all over mex guam.hond. costa el sal panama no problems on a honda 250 cc dirt bike .. iam planning on staying in dr dec 2015 for  along time i like dr better than all of places so far..also on notrh coast i have met a lot of nice people in the dr  puerto plata is my place to go ...if you know dr the village munoz i rent a 2 bed room dominican style house for 75.. us per month elec water part time i have solar panels for some elec.no hot water just fun dominican style ..it is not for everybody but it fits me perfect ...i love it there .iam in us getting rid of all my toys here getting ready for move in next year ..feel to ask me questions i will tell you honest answers  bobbyr

Welcome bobby. You seem to have found your place. As you say, not for everyone, but you like it and that is all that matters!!!!

gracias a ti

Siempre!!!

Thank you everybody for your replies. I eventually found the website (migracion.gob.do/web/tarifas.php). The rate on the site are still the old ones. I phoned the Dirección General de Migración on the telephone number found on the site, 809-508-2555, and yes the rates have gone up. The rates that I posted a few days ago are correct. So as of the 31st of October 2014, the rates are as follow:
De 1 dia a 3 meses RD$2,500.00

Thank you.

Are you sure that first line is not 1mes a 3 meses? Instead of 1 dia a 3 meses? Normally your tourist card covers you up to 30 days, if what printed is true, that would mean that all vacationers will have to pay $10 dollars for a tourist card and also pay the $RD 2500.00 pesos upon leaving the country, that would be a bit much and not too cool for tourism :(

I am sure it is a misprint as no one is paying an exit fee based on that schedule when vacationing here.

Talk about shooting oneself in the foot :D:D:D:D

BObK

Anyone knows about overstaying the 90 days tourist visa in haiti? Is it like in the DR? Thanks in advance,emily

Different country, different rules.  Check on their forum or govt. site.

Bob K