Riyadh to Dubai

Hello saad6190 & shattitude

Kindly note that this thread is inactive since dec 2013, hope though that you get some response here that can help you in your queries. Else, i would advise you to create a new thread so as to increase your visibility on the forum and increase your chances to have responses.

Regards
Kenjee

Hello, would you know if it is easy to get a visa on arrival at the border if you travel by land from Riyadh to Dubai? I am a Philippine national and Saudi resident. Thank you!

Search the forum, this has already been discussed and answered

I have recently traveled to Dubai with family by Car in the first week of October 2014. Only trouble we had to face was at UAE border for their Visit visa on arrival. We had to be there in long queue for around 7 hours. That was a public holiday, arafa day, friday and also the day before Eid. It took hardly 15 minutes while we came back through the same border.
I went through Kharj road and came back through Hafoof- Alhassa- Khurais road. I cannot recommend Kharj road to anyone as it was fearful being alone on the road with dessert. On contrary the other route is with vehicles, more petrol stations & people.

On both way, it took around 10 hours to reach the destination with an average speed of 130 km.
If you are good in driving in ksa, you will definitely enjoy the drive in uae. The roads even much better than ksa. Eventhough I couldnt find speed cameras untill the saudi border, there are many after crossing the uae border.

I just had a travel to Dubai by road from Riyadh.

1 - From Riyadh, take Al-Kharj Road - don't take that Al-Khard Road which is coming from Airport and going to Al-Kharj.
On Exit-18, you have to turn right then before Mahmal Center you have to turn left on Al-Kharj road which is main road going to Al-Kharj.

2 - Take Exit-7 towards Haradh.. which will take you to left. On First Round About, turn Right, and From Second Round About, Take 3rd Exit towards Gulf Countries, don't turn to King Fahad road, this was the mistake i made.

3- Drive on Route 10 which is also called M90, there are only two gas stations on this road which are around 160km far from each other. Half of the road is two way and other half road is one way..take care. Camels and Sand Dunes are there. Don't forget to full your petrol tank.

4 - Merge on right towards Route 95. It will take you to border.
5- First three check posts are in Saudi Arabia which will check car papers and passports.

6 - Another three check posts are UAE border. on 1st check post, park your car and get visa of dubai.
220 AED per passport.

7- It was most frustrating thing i ever find in my life. First take empty forms per passport. Fill them and go for eye scan. After getting your forms stamped from eye retina scan, pay the fees for passport, then come in line. they will take your passport and ask you to collect them from last counter from where you get the blank forms.

8 - pay the fees and you will be awarded one month entry visa.
9 - drive to 2nd check post, there you have to go through Custom of car, 3rd check post, give 150 SAR car insurance for 10 days only.

10 - you are done, welcome to UAE

Also, when coming back to Riyadh, they will take 35 AED per passport Exit Fees. Once you cleared and come back to Saudi, there will be sign board. To Hofuf and To Riyadh, take care and follow Riyadh, don't take U-Turn, you have to turn right on single road.

Thanks

Hi,
I just joined this community and sure looks overwhelmingly helpful to all expats living in KSA.

Question:
I am UAE resident and a telecom engineer on "work visit" visa of 90 days, can I bring my UAE plate car to Saudi Arabia. Although my visa is "entry by air", but so far I have been visiting Bahrain by land.

Your prompt responses will be much appreciated.

Warm regards,
Ali

Hello,

Saudi rules are much strict, so before planning for travel by road to KSA, get required information from Saudi Embassy in UAE.

For residents of Saudi Arabia, if we are having rental or lease car, we must have to have valid papers from Traffic Police before entering UAE. In your case, you may need some sort of authorization from UAE Traffic Police.

Thanks

Thanks Victor,
While applying for the new "Work Visit visa" from Dubai back in October, I did explain my intentions to Saudi embassy that they process it with entry by "land" but they refused mentioning that on transit or truck driver's visa can be by land. Especially, he mentioned of Umrah visa to UAE residents which can be only by air.
Therefore, officially there doesn't exist land Entr visa for UAE residents but on the other hand everybody might wonder how people manage to travel by their car then, as seen throughout the year on KSA roads😊.

I guess, there is good chance that I can exit/enter to UAE by land although my visa is by-air entry just like I have been doing for Bahrain.

Next will try SAPTCO, having international daily buses from Damam to Dubai. They might have come across "uae resident with Work Visa" going for exit/entry etc.

Still Googling 😊

can I use my fathers car with out taking him along  Saudi number plate to travel Dubai.

I don't think so unless you are authorized from your father to drive his car.

Official Authorization Document required.

And you must have original Istimirah of the vehicle with you.

great blog! I just have one question unanswered. do i need to have a visa arranged and before my travel or its just as easy as it is with bahrain where they allot you the visa on arrival. (at the border)? I heard they made it more difficult for the students to get visa, is this true? I dont want to go 520km and than be told to return due to visa rejection because of my student status in saudi arabia.
I appreciate your reply in advance,
Awaiting your mature advise,
Regards,
Waqas.

Dear Waqas,

Let me tell you that it is easy to get the visa on arrival but in your case, since you are a student you must have to travel with your parents in order to cross the border.

What happen exactly? They not only check your passport with valid Exit-Reentry buy also you must have your iqama with you indicating correct profession type. If you are student and under your father iqama, only your father can let you cross the border on his iqama if your father profession is good enough such as doctor or engineer.

They wouldn't allow you to cross the border on your own iqama since you are student and dependent on your father.

In other case, if you can arrange visa by somehow before travelling to dubai, no need to get visa on arrival. Just cross the border with your valid documents.

Thanks

Hi all,
Just did the awesome trip, with utter success:

I purchased SAR400, Riyadh to Sharjah flight ticket one way. Twelve hours later, all wrapped/packed left Dubai for Silaa border with plan B (return by air again in case of failure).

To my surprise, I entered Saudi with just 35AED payment and super smooth border checks. In just 20 minutes I was with my dashing 300C at the 1st KSA petrol station filling cheapest high octane petrol, wolaa!!!

Core info:
"UAE resident can enter Saudi by their UAE plate car"

Probable Dependency:
Position title on UAE resident visa. I title is engineer.

i am traveling to Dubai by road first Jan 2014 i am want use my brother in law car without him if i can pleas help what is the procedure to take his car

thanks in advance

Hello,

You have to get original istamarah of the car and authorization letter from your brother in law. (Most probably attested by Maroor)

Dear, by next  week i am planing to go dubai by road from riyadh. i have some  question, can you any help me?

1) From riyadh to dubai, there is one route is not a safe it means thift,etc, I like to which route, becuz i am traveling with family

2) On UAE Border, what payment method for visa fees. Cash or Card ( Card Means will they accept visa debit card)

3) In my iqama profession is Computer Programmed (4 years before profession changed)  and in passport it is Steel Fixer, Can i get on arrival visa?

Can you please clarify someone pls?

1) From riyadh to dubai, there is one route is not a safe it means thift,etc, I like to which route, becuz i am traveling with family

There are two routes ..from Kharj and from Hofuf...From Hofuf, it has some more distance but route is quite safe and you will find many gas station and other shops. While, the other route is through Kharaj, it is not that much big route like through Hofuf..but it is quite dangerous. If you want to go through Kharaj route, don't travel in night coz there are camels in the way and sandstorms. Better drive day time , and you will find only two gas stations in the way i.e. Route 10 which will take you from Kharaj to Border. Half of the way is one way drive and other half is double road..it is risky route but it is around 500 Km away from Riyadh.

2) On UAE Border, what payment method for visa fees. Cash or Card ( Card Means will they accept visa debit card)

You can pay the visa fees either in the form of cask or credit card, they will not accept debit card. Better that cash, and they will make one e-dirham card for you which will be swiped at the time of paying your visa fees.

3) In my iqama profession is Computer Programmed (4 years before profession changed)  and in passport it is steel Fixer, Can i get on arrival visa?

Remember, upon arrival at dubai border, you have to present both original iqama and original passport for you and your family. As far as your iqama is showing your profession as Computer Programmer, you will not face any problem. They will deduct 220 AED on each passport. And once you will come back, they will deduct 35 AED on each passport.

If you need to ask any other question, you may ask me

Thanks

Dear Brother,

For the below point,  I don't have credit card but i can bring uae money.  Can you clarify whats "the form of cask"?
and how to get e-dirham card and where to get, please provide the details?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can pay the visa fees either in the form of cask or credit card, they will not accept debit card. Better that cash, and they will make one e-dirham card for you which will be swiped at the time of paying your visa fees
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear,

You can also bring Saudi Riyals to border, there is one small grocery shop inside the building on right hand side, they will take Saudi Riyal from you and will make E-Dirham card for you for free which you can show at the time of getting visa on passport (last stage)

Once you will cross the UAE border, you will also see money exchange shop...
"the form of cash" typing mistake....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can pay the visa fees either in the form of cask or credit card, they will not accept debit card. Better that cash, and they will make one e-dirham card for you which will be swiped at the time of paying your visa fees

thanks brother,  what is  "form of cask ", can you clarify if you don't mind?

********************************************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************************

********************************************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************************

And one more question that grocesory  shop it is before saudi immegration or before uae immegrarion?

Brother,

I told you it was typing mistake....it was "form of cash".

Once you will cross the Saudi Border and reach till Dubai Border, you have to park your car and have to go inside the building to get visa, you will find that grocery store in the same building where they will stamp visa on your passport.

After going inside the visa building,
1 - first you have to get the blank forms for you and your family
2 - Then go for Eye Scan, they will stamp on form after having eye scan for you and your family.
3 - Then, Go to that grocery store in the same building, give him Saudi Riyals and they will make E-Dirham card for you.
4 - come back in line and the visa officer will keep you and family passports and will ask you to collect them back from the last counter where you get the form.
5 - After one hour, go back to same counter where you go in the beginning, they will take E-Dirham card from you, swipe it, and return back your passport with one month visa stamped on it

Anything else...

Thank you brother for your help

Brother One final questions,

1) For buying e-dirham card for paying 220 each passport,  2 adult+1 child means i have to buy e-dirham card for 660 dirham is it correct?

2)  while return back KSA, we have to pay 35 Dh each passport. That payment is cash or they will only accept e-dirham card or credit card.

Can you clarify if don't mind please?

You dont have to buy E-Dirham card, it wil be given to you for free when you will give them 660 Dhs or equivalent riyals, they will add amount in it which will be deducted by visa officer at the time of giving you passport back with stamped visa. Remember visa officer only accept E-Dirham card or credit card.

Same thing, also there will be one grocery store which will take 35 AED from you for each passport and will add them in same E-Card which will be again deducted by visa officer when u will give him passports tp put Exit stamp on them. Remember there are many cameras on E11 - Route to Abu Dhabi and Dubai. If you will be having any traffic voilation, you will be charged once you will cross the border to come to Saudia.

One more thing, at the time you will reach Saudi border to go to dubai, before starting of Saudi border you will see two petrol stations in saudia, make your full tank full, if you forgot and try to fill the tank once you cross the dubai border, thats quite expensive. One of my friend make full tank in Saudi around 32 SAR, same thing i did once i cross the UAE border, i paid 95 DHS

Take Care and have safe journey...

Thank you great help

Brother one question,

For my car, it is under my name istimarah and insurance valid for another 1 year.

Fahas is expired. Is Fahas also should valid?

Any idea?

by
S.Syed Labbai

Brother one question,

For my car, it is under my name istimarah and insurance valid for another 1 year.

Any idea?

by
S.Syed Labbai

Brother one question,

Any idea?

by
S.Syed Labbai

Thank you guys, Last week i went UAE and return safely.

UPDATED AND RECENT TRIP DETAILS;

Directions to Dubai/Abu Dhabi (UAE) from Riyadh

better to take riyadh-hofuf-salwa-batha/alghuwaifat track. Drive during the day as some track are not fenced and very dark at night.

Saudi Border (Batha) Check points

1st Check point handover Drivers Passport, Estimara, likely question - how many passengers?
The officer must return a ‘car paper' listing car registration details and number of passengers traveling

2nd Check point handover All Passports & Car paper (Exit Stamp)

3rd Check point inspection car paper and passports – now drive towards UAE border

UAE Border (Al Ghewfiat) Check points

1st Check point park your car and take all passports to get UAE Visas & take the car paper with you for stamping.

1b. it's quite possible that you/adult will be asked for retina scan.

2nd Check point all documents checked - car paper/estimara/all passports.

3rd Check point UAE Customs drive through the scanners, don't go into the last lane (ensure car paper stamped)

Drive in a queue & get compulsory third-party insurance. (SAR150 for 10 days) details are listed on the board.

4th Check point - checks all passports and give car paper away.

Abu Dahbi is only 360 KM and Dubai is 480 KM from Al Ghewfiat Border.

Follow signs for Abu Dahbi (E11 ) and when you get closer to Abu Dahbi you will see the sign for Dubai.

Most petrol stations are modern in UAE (decent ADNOC service station is 125 KM from the Border -left side).

NOTE; TAKE CARE OF SPEED LIMIT AS THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF CAMERA'S ON THE ROAD, IF MAXIMUM SPEED IS 140 THEN TRY TO BE ON 125 - 130, AND IF MAXIMUM SPEED IS 120 THEN TRY TO BE ON 100 - 110 & IF MAXIMUM SPEED IS 100 THEN TRY TO BE ON 85 - 90

Return journey to Saudi

From Dubai follow signs for Abu Dhabi - E11 Sheikh Ziad Road (motorway). Petrol is expensive in UAE so fill your car with enough petrol to get you to Saudi border.

ON E11 Sheikh Ziad Road look for sign Al Ghewfiat - don't miss this., its approx 60-70 KM from Dubai If you miss the sign then look for Al Tarif or Sila or Al Sila (Border Town)

Last ADNOC service station is 353 KM from Dubai (125km from UAE border) – last chance to use a decent washroom.

UAE Border Check points

1st Check point present Estimara- The officer returns ‘car paper' listing car details and number of passengers traveling

2nd Check point Park the car and go to visa office (building) on your left (family can stay in the car)
a. Visit any serving counter to get exit stamp & pay 35 Dirham per passport (exact amount – Dirham only)
b. Ensure all passports including the car paper stamped
Saudi Border Check points
1st Check point show passports/car paper (Exit-Reentry Stamp)
2nd Check point Saudi customs check, park the car and get the luggage checked and get the car paper stamped

3rd Check point drive through as this window for visitors seeking Saudi insurance,

4th Check point just hand over the car paper to the official
if you want to travel via Kharj, look for signs to Riyadh/HARAD after the 2nd petrol station on your right, otherwise stay on the road and follow the sign for Hafof.

Riyadh is 560KM from Border via Kharj and approx 625KM via Hafof/Al-AHSA.

Please drive carefully and watch out for sand dunes and camels, specially if traveling via KHARJ

All, I just completed this trip. I made the mistake of crossing from KSA to UAE on Friday, 20-March, which was the start of school vacation. The border crossing took a awhile, so it was around 12 hours from Riyadh to Abu Dhabi (really 13 because of the time zone difference).
As other posters have noted, the ride is pretty boring, even more so after the KSA / UAE border until Abu Dhabi.
Returning home (we drove through Oman for a week), it was 1.5 hours from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, then around 9.5 hours back to Riyadh. We did this on a Sunday, and were through the border in less than an hour.
Fill up with gas in KSA. I had to 'top off' my tank in UAE, then get gas immediately after returning to the Kingdom. There are plenty of choices near the border in KSA whether coming or going.
As for direction, my GPS directions were easy, taking us near Hofuf.
I lease my car, so had to get a 'TAMM' (permission slip) before travelling to the other GCC countries. It cost 1100 SAR, but we split it 3 ways, so it wasn't so taxing.
Good luck.

A quick question:
How many months should be valid in Iqama to cross into UAE from Batha border from KSA?

Hi Everyone,

I drove from Riyadh to Dubai and back for 2015 Ramadan Eid vacation. Here are the important points I have experiences and witnessed relating to this thread.
These might be important to expat friends here, hence posting this for everyone.

If you are taking a leased car and the car is in your banks name, the bank will have to issue a written and an electronic permission for you to take the car to UAE for a specified period. The Electronic permission is the permission from TAMM system.

You can pre-arrange your UAE visa from www.ednrd.ae days in advance and pay online or you can take the visa on the border.

Riyadh To Dubai:
Very easy but a long drive.
I took the road via Hofuf. I used Garmin for navigation hence it showed the shortest route (via Kharj) by default. I chose to drive via Hofuf as my research before I started told me that Kharj road is narrow one lane road mostly used by trucks. Hofuf is a longer but safer route.

Set your GPS / Google Maps to Dubai via Hofuf.
Keep driving on Dammam road till you get an exit for Hofuf / Ahsa. Keep following your GPS. There are few signs guiding us to UAE or Salwa or Batha, GPS was very helpful to guide me to the correct road.

The drive is boring, lots of sand dunes and a lot of dust on the way. I drove in the day light hence I recommend everyone to drive in the day light.

In about 5 hours (approx 600+ Kms) you will reach the border.

Just before the border there are a couple of petrol Pumps. Fill up your petrol as petrol in UAE is more than double the price in KSA.

Important Notes Before You Cross The Border:
Keep an eye on the instructions on every check point and go where green light is on. Do not enter a check point where there is Red light or No light (even if the light is green for the GCC Nationals section and its not green anywhere else, you can pass through the GCC section).

Crossing The Border:
KSA Border (Batha) Check points
1st Check point - handover drivers passport, Car istimara and tell him the number of passengers travelling in your car.

The officer must return a car paper listing car registration details and number of passengers traveling.

2nd Check point - handover all passports & Car paper, Here exit stamp will be stamped on the passport

3rd Check point - Pass through an inspection section. Here they will inspect the car paper and passports.

now you are done with the KSA side of formalities. now drive towards UAE border

UAE Border (Ghuwaifat) Check points

1st check point -
If you have the visa pre-arranged, proceed to check point 2.

To take the visa on arrival at the border, park your car and all adults will have to go to the Immigration building. Take all passports (including the children) to get UAE Visas & take the car paper with you for stamping.

You will be given a Visa On Arrival application (that you get at Dubai airport) to fill it, after which you need to proceed to retina scan section. All adult will be asked for retina scan.

Once you are done with the retina scan, you return to the immigration counter and submit your passports and the car paper for arrival stamp. (Please note that you need atleast 3 months in your Iqama and you need the original Iqama to be presented to the UAE immigration officer. Once this is done, you proceed to your car and drive to the next check point. You will have to pay 207 DHS per person by credit card.

If you dont have a credit card, go to the grocery store in the Immigration section and he will give you a cash card which will be acceptable at the Immigration counter.

2nd Check point - This is mainly for GCC nationals and for those who have pre-arranged their visa through the website mentioned above.

3rd Check point - You will enter a UAE Customs drive through the scanner gate into a warehouse / hangar kind of a section. Here you will be asked to present the car paper that has been issued to you by Saudi Immigration and arrival date stamp by UAE immigration. Your car will be inspected and the number of passengers will be counted.

4th Check point - You will drive through a third party insurance window - Here you will pay for the compulsory third party insurance (SAR 100 for 10 days and 200 for 1 month). No need to get out of the car.

5th Check point - give car paper away and breath freedom.

Now you are done with UAE side of formalities, Congrats you are now in UAE.
Abu Dhabi is only 360 KM and Dubai is 480 KM from Ghuwaifat Border. The speed limit on UAE highways is 140 (120 is the limit + 20 is the grace allowed = 140 KMS)

UAE Border Check points
1st Check point - present your car Istimara - The officer returns a car paper listing car details and number of passengers traveling.

2nd Check point - Park the car and go to immigration building on your left (family can stay in the car)
First pay 35 Dirhams per person by UAE card or UAE cash card available from the grocery store in the Immigrations building. (They dont accept cash and non Dirhams card dont work on their machines)

Visit any serving counter to get exit stamp on passports and car paper. You will be asked for KSA visa (Exit Re Entry paper) or Iqama along with the passport.

Now you are done with UAE side of formalities.

Saudi Border Check points
1st Check point - show passports  and car paper. Here they will stamp Entry on your passport and the car paper. Here you must give your passports and Exit Re Entry paper (if needed they will ask you for Iqama).

2nd Check point - Saudi customs check (the real hassle), park the car and get the luggage checked, Be prepared to have your luggage opened and every corner of the car checked if they suspect you. Once the check is done, they must stamp the car paper.

3rd Check point - drive through third party insurance window for visitors seeking Saudi insurance (mostly for non Saudi GCC residents and non GCC umrah visitors).

4th Check point - just hand over the car paper to the officer.

Now you are done with KSA side of formalities and you are now in KSA. Welcome back.

Hope this will be of any help to you. Have a safe trip.

Woww.... You covered them comprehensively. Bravo  :top:

Also want to mention that on-arrival visas are effective till 1st September 2015 only. After that online visas would be the only option.

I travelled to Dubai from Riyadh last night. I have a flight tomorrow for the U.S. So I'll exit Dubai. Will I require a visa on the Dubai airport when I come back from the U.S. and if I will, what visa will I need to enter Dubai? And how do I apply for that visa?

Closed