Moving to HCMC

Hi,
We are moving to HCMC in June. We are thinking of enrolling our 2 kids in SSIS and living in D7. Can anyone recommend a real estate agent- hoping to find a 3 bedroom house with access to a pool in this district?

I am also wondering if it is easy to buy good quality bikes for my kids aged 13 and 11?

Is it easy to buy beds or get them made? I see there is no IKEA but is there a Vietnamese furniture shop that is similar?

Hope you can help!

Hi doha,

[Moderated: Content is purely promotional, use private message instead]

Welcome on board dohatravellers,

Have you check the adverts on the: Accommodation in Ho Chi Minh City page? There might be some adverts which might interest you, else you can also post a customized advert on that same page.

Regards

Hi,
[Moderated: no free ads]

Thanks yes I did check!

Hi

I am also moving to HCM in the 2nd half of this year. I have a 10 year old son and seriously thinking of Saigon south international school. Seems from the other forums that dsitrict 2 and 7 are best choices for new expat.

Would living in district 2 be too far of a commute for my son to SSI in district 7?

We are still deciding whether a villa or apartment would be better. Is it safe to live in a villa? How's the safety / security in general in district 2 or 7?

We will have a car as part of the expat package.  However  I am used to conveniently walking or taking the train everywhere (we are now stationed in Singapore).   Please advise where in district 7 or 2 would be most convenient in terms of access to restaurants , shopping areas etc. ?
Are taxis easily available and safe? Is it easy to get an English speaking driver? How much would the salary be per month?

I will also have my dog with me (a small shi zhu). Pla recommend a good pet store, grooming place, and vet. Would apartment buildings in district 2 and 7 allow pets?

Is it easy to get a daily or live in maid? How much would the salary be per month?

Sorry for the long list of questions. I am excited to be moving to HCM

Calvin and Hobbes wrote:

Hi

I am also moving to HCM in the 2nd half of this year. I have a 10 year old son and seriously thinking of Saigon south international school. Seems from the other forums that dsitrict 2 and 7 are best choices for new expat.

Would living in district 2 be too far of a commute for my son to SSI in district 7?

We are still deciding whether a villa or apartment would be better. Is it safe to live in a villa? How's the safety / security in general in district 2 or 7?

We will have a car as part of the expat package.  However  I am used to conveniently walking or taking the train everywhere (we are now stationed in Singapore).   Please advise where in district 7 or 2 would be most convenient in terms of access to restaurants , shopping areas etc. ?
Are taxis easily available and safe? Is it easy to get an English speaking driver? How much would the salary be per month?

I will also have my dog with me (a small shi zhu). Pla recommend a good pet store, grooming place, and vet. Would apartment buildings in district 2 and 7 allow pets?

Is it easy to get a daily or live in maid? How much would the salary be per month?

Sorry for the long list of questions. I am excited to be moving to HCM

Hi. Im from Singapore also think of relocating to HCMC. What profession are you in?:)

Hi,

I have a estate agency here and other businesses (exports and graphic design).
If your son has to go to D7 at school, you cannot live in D2 as it is too far to commute (45 min when the traffic is not too bad).
Nevertheless, you have many good and even excelent school in D2. For instance, BIS (British International School) is considered by many as the best school in the country.
You will have to commute by car as there is no metro, tramway or city train in Saigon yet.
You can have a driver for about $200 per month. $150 for a maid.
For a villa, you might need a security guard ($150/month). It is cheap considering villas with garden that require a guard cost over $3000 a month.
Taxi are safe when you know which company to take but they usually dont speak english.
Security is good in D2 and D7. There are many local security guards (similar as policemen) to prevent from thieves.
Amenties are good in both areas (restaurants, supermarkets etc...).
In term of population, you have a majority of Korean in D7 and more occidental people in D2.
I know a good vet in D2 for your dog. I am sure there are some in D7.
Hope it can help.

Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles

Thank you so much for your reply and good info.

Can you let me know if there is a reputable agency for me to use to hire maid / driver/ guard?

Seems from your reply that D2 would be a better choice.... Any specific area / street name / nice compound   in D2 you would recommend?

I agree that 45 mins commute would be too long for my son....

Thanks!

In D2, the expat area is around a main street named Thao Dien.
The most famous and the bigger compound is BP Compound featuring swimming pool, gym, tennis courts, restaurant. It is next to supermarkets and bakeries and located by the river.
You have about 10 compounds in the area. Most of them are good.
It is quite easy to find reliable driver and maid. I can recommend some when you get in HCMC.
Let me know if I can be any help.

Hi Calvin and Hobbe,
There has many international school for your children to choose: BIS, IS, ACG, SSI, Colette (France School)... with high quality education.
If you choose school in District 2, you can refer the Lakeview Villas compound as reference.
This compound takes 30 minutes to downtown HCMC. Have shuttle bus to take children from home to school (BIS, IS, ACG, Colette). It's absolutely safe for them
Lakeview Villas also have restaurant and offer free service for tenants: swimming pool, tennis, gym, ping pong...
24/24 security, 2-5 bedrooms, fully furniture
The price is around 1550USD -2800USD/month, included VAT.
If you're interested in, can contact me at
Ms Minh at HP: 0917 485 991
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

hi, i have an apartment for rent in district 4.. That is border with district 4 and so nearly to district 7... U just across a bridge to go to the heart of city...
I rent it but my flatmate is away already.. That is so heavy for only me.. And i need to find someone who want to rent it... It has 2 bedrooms with full furniture, 24/24 securities.. Its just decored... and its price is 8.500.000 vnd (420$)..
If u want to visit, contact with me 01272782386

Hi jennifernguyen,

Please post this advert in the Ho Chi Minh City classifieds under accommodation section.

Thank you.
Christine

Hello dohatravellers.

I know there is a supplier for wooden furniture which is named The Wood Factory, you can search the website thewoodfactory.com.vn

Hope this helpful to you.

TCT

Hi
We are moving to HCMC in march 2015
Please recomend where is much better to live, district 2 or distruct 7?
Which school is the leader ?
Are the distances big in the HCMC, for example if my kids will go to SSIS and living in D2 ? Are the children safe to walk to school or they need a bus? How is the traffic there?
What is the most beautifull compound in Saigon?
And the last... The top 3 of onternational schools?
Thank you so much in advance

I think you should live in district 7, because it near yours son school and it safe.
(Moderated: No free ads on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Ioana Lara wrote:

Please recomend where is much better to live, district 2 or distruct 7?
Which school is the leader ?
Are the distances big in the HCMC, for example if my kids will go to SSIS and living in D2 ? Are the children safe to walk to school or they need a bus? How is the traffic there?
What is the most beautifull compound in Saigon?
And the last... The top 3 of onternational schools?

I guess the unstated requirement is that you want to live with Foreigners, too. Bad news - 'middle class' VNese now earn sufficient money to live in pricier digs, too. As for 'security' there is little difference between 'compounds' and other accommodation since most of the guards sleep on the job - or are a source of undesirable activity.
There are distinct differences between Quan 2 and Quan 7, referenced to Quan 1.

Quan 2 is about 15-20 minutes along a new expressway which is fine until you running recovered land until around DIEN BIEN PHU/HIGHWAY 52 (Ha Noi Highway). This is the Foreigner area of Quan 2. The DIEN BIEN PHU/HIGHWAY 52 (Ha Noi Highway) is being expanded to 12 lanes PLUS and most of the Foreigner enclave is on the far side.

Click on http://www.diadiem.com/ then enter AN PHU in the search box. There are a few highrise apartments on the city side of the HIGHWAY 52.

You will need transportation (company or taxi - or your own motorcycle).

Quan 7 is about 15-20 minutes from Quan 1 along urban roads. Snobbish Foreigners like to call everything Phu My Hung. This is one of the earliest Foreigner enclaves. It has much older building stock and most needs refurbishing. Some designs are plain terrible for air circulation. There are townhouses there. Being old the utilities are overloaded/outdated.

Shopping is mainly smaller, specialty stores that charge extra for the name PMH.

In an adjacent Ward (Phuong) (an important word when locating places) there are more modern highrises, a couple of supermarkets.

There are more modern developments in Quan7 and have a mix of highrises, townhouses and what are laughingly called 'villas'. A villa is a stand alone house with a strip of grass around it.

Bisecting Quan 7, and separating PMH from the rest of the area is a 8-lane highway which links the port-lands to the highway network. In runs heavy freight vehicles 24/6 (Sundays there is less).

Up on a street called PHU THUAN (look in DiaDien.com), on the river side of HUYNH TAN PHAT, there are a few nice family-oriented highrises where the traffic is minimum but they are also populated by VNese. Two-bedrooms rent for $500/month; 3-bedrooms for $650-700/month. NOTE: The apartments are furnished. Utilities - water - gas - electricity - cable TV - maintenance fees - are extra.

SCHOOLS are an industry here, rather than 'halls of learning'. You are looking at school fees of up to USD24,000 PLUS EXTRAS. A real racket. Since most of the schools are in strange locations they all run bus services (EXTRA). Few schools are safe enough to walk to.

There are two types of schools: the older, more mature ones with moderate fees; the newer ones - built to meet a past influx of Foreigners in boom times owned by corporations and faced with HUGE overheads and mortgages. And these days companies who have paid for employees off-spring in the past now realise that they, the companies, are the target of the rackets, and are cutting back and even going co-pay. One new school made an investment of USD$42-million - guess whose going to be paying!

You asked for the "top 3 of onternational (sic) schools". You need to detail whether top on fees, top in education as well as the age of your children.

I am lucky, my daughter is a Vietnamese citizen and she gets education for under USD$80/month!

So come back with your other questions when you have studied the maps.

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : please post in the Housingsection
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct