Buying satellite watch whatever

I have a question. Is it possible to buy your own satellite in the Philippines. For the purpose of watching on television anything and everything that the satellite can tap into. I want to see more than what's on cable television there. I especially love football. Is there anyway to be able to see any and all NFL games.

I wish direct television was in the Philippines!

Hello Wayne 07,

Yes, you can get FTA satellite in the Philippines.  Unlike the USA you may have a problem with the languages it is broadcast in and have to be in the area of broadcast.  Also, you will not receive any encrypted TV programs that are transmitted by the paid network services.  Due to the location of the Philippines around the world from the USA, you will not be able to receive US located satellites because of the transmission of the signal pattern.  You can search the net and find which satellites here have a transmission radius that covers the Philippines.  The equipment is available online and you would have to pay all the import duties and VAT required for the importation of the equipment.  Also, check with customs and see if there are any restrictions on any of the equipment needed for your usage.  I have not seen any stores that are selling that type of equipment here locally, but maybe in Manila or one of the larger cities may have a vendor that sells satellite equipment.

Hope this helps, RAC

Sounds like to much work (smile). Do you know if you can get NFL football stations there. I love football. I am with direct tv here. They out source calls to calling station in the Philippines, yet you cannot get direct tv in Philippines.

I know I am not the only Expat that loves football. If someone could open a sports bar for all NFL football games in the P.I. They would make a lot of money. Manila would be a prime location. You fly in for weekend to see the games then back home Monday.

Whoever is out there reading get this, here is your chance to make some money! I want half for the suggestion (smile).

Does your cable provider have football on their stations? I am sure what I am pursuing others have also asked about. This is one of the down sides about living in the Philippines. I know the filipino's love basketball and probably show NBA games, but I want football.

You are correct about the NBA, different cables are priced based on how many NBA games are available.  I had no luck finding any NFL, was in Ilocos Sur for 3 weeks and found nothing like the sports bars you spoke of.

Mindanao Bob in his monthly new letter did an article on NFL in Philippines. I will try to post that link to this. It talks about getting some of the games over the internet.

Hello Wayne 07,

I have CignalTV here in Leyte and they have a large number of sports stations in their listings.  I am not a sports fan, but have seen when changing channels football, soccer, baseball, tennis, golf, horse racing, car racing, bike racing, etc. and BASKETBALL! here.  The people here love basketball.  Check the CignalTV webpage and see what they offer.

I have seen no sports bars here, just a lot of Karaoke Bars, they love to sing here.  Most all the ;large and medium size bars here have satellite TV in them.  Any business you have here, will have to have a 60% Philippine partner/owner, since expats are not allowed to own more than 40% of a business here.  Good luck on finding a Philippine partner that will kick in their 60% of the costs for the project.  If you want it, you pay for it, and they get part of the profits, and if successful they will take it over from you and you are out of luck, they are the majority owner.   

Hope this helps, RAC

Brother I know that to be the truth. Only kidding about owning one. But I would fly to a place close by that had one with total access to football.

I will work out something. After all we will be retired. If need be I will fly back to Hawaii for couple of months doing playoff in NFL. We have the time. Thanks for all your info and help.