Bank accounts/social security number

Hey guys, does anyone know if its possible to set up a bank account and social security number prior to arriving in the states on a H1B visa?

hi there, the answer is NO. American banks are the worst to do business with. You have to be here in person to open an account because of the new laws that were put in by Bush with the whole anti terror crap. There IS a bank I do business with that is only online. The would send you the papers and you fill and sign them and get them officialized--notarized at a US embassy/consulate only. You will get a Debit VISA card also and an online account.
It's actually the best bank to be with because it pays around 2.2% interest on your money. It may not sound a lot but 99.99% of the criminal banks here don't offer anything back to the customers...maybe 1% or 0.5% or 0.25% or zero on your money...BUT...they love to charge you 10-20-30% if you want to borrow from them! I researched over 100 banks in the US to find the one with the best interest for my money. I chose Bank of Fayetteville located in the state of Arkansas. I live in California but it doesn't matter. There website is: www.bof.com
I will find my contact there if you want. Also, when you withdraw money from an ATM that charges, this bank provides $25 per month to offset the criminal banks' fees.

No - it is not possible to get SSN but you can open a bank account after few weeks of arriving.

SSN is always mailed to your US address. The rule has not changed and its getting stricter by the day.

davee wrote:

Hey guys, does anyone know if its possible to set up a bank account and social security number prior to arriving in the states on a H1B visa?

Is the health insurance required before obtaining an SSN? thks.

To get a SSN means that you are a permanent resident. If I remember correctly from when my wife gained permanent residency status, I don't think we were required to show proof of health insurance (although we do have it). Under Obamacare, if you don't have health insurance you will be issued a fine (if you have a SSN). If you are not eligible for permanent residency status then the point is mute, because you will not get a SSN. I think the government also issues tax ID numbers if you are coming in on some business visas, but I am not sure what the rules are concerning that.

I will get a SSN, but it will take time, meanwhile I prefer a secure place instead to carry cash everywhere with me. thank u for the insight.

No problem. Some US banks do not require you to have a SSN before opening an account, so there is no need to wait for a SSN before opening a bank account.

Yes, that is correct. I used to work for Wells Fargo. There, we had people sign a form called the W-8 when they did not have a SSN (as opposed to a W-9 form for those who did provide a SSN)

I recently found out that Ally will not issue a bank account without a SSN, but I know Wells Fargo still does.

JPMorgan Chase opens bank accounts without a SSN.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

There are many people who have the feeling of insecurity that the bank in which  they are going to open their savings account have proper security or not. Many people have locker in the bank in which they kept their expensive jewellery so they want total security.