A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

You are welcome!  :)

charmavietnam wrote:

Guys!
After this thread I saw so many members confused with VEC, TRC, PRC and WP.  :)
Here is the expansion of above mentioned abbreviations.

VEC = Visa Exemption Certificate.
            Certain category of people are exempted from Visa (including spouses who married with Vietnamese - check the Original Post to see other categories). People in that category can apply for this certificate. Remember that this is not a 5 year Visa (as many of you posted) but a Visa Exemption Certificate. There is NO 5 year visa in Vietnam.

TRC = Temporary Residence Card. Normally TRC should apply along with Work Permit. TRC allows the holder to reside in Vietnam and travel other countries and return without a Visa.

PRC = Permanent Residence Card. Certain category of people can apply for this including spouses who married with Vietnamese Nationals.

WP = Work Permit. I think no need to explain this. Almost people are familiar with WP  :)
Happy living in Vietnam!!

Oh I love this topic where I found the very first person who have a PRC. So it is not an "impossible mission" :)

More about TRC since I am doing this kind of paper, it granted to foreign employee who having work permit, investor who has their name on the Investment Certificate, and their family (mother, father, wife/husband, children). Its term is maximum 2 years but not excess the work permit's term, or maximum 3 years but not excess Investment Certificate's term. Fee is USD80 or USD100.

This paper is considered as a replacement of a Visa. So notice that its not "if I have a Work permit I will be exempted from visa", not yet, you have to apply for TRC with that Work permit first.

For foreigner who is wife/husband of Vietnamese, tired of VEC's paper work every 90 days, but still cannot apply for PRC, you can wait for the new regulation will take valid from 1/1/2015 that you can apply for a TRC also. I'm waiting until it take valid if there is any guidance and/or additional condition in practice.

Please help correct me if there is anything wrong, I come here to learn new things. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Vankhanh Ho!

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

Oh I love this topic where I found the very first person who have a PRC. So it is not an "impossible mission" :)

I am sorry. I don't think if there're any men here (in this thread) has PRC

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

More about TRC since I am doing this kind of paper, it granted to foreign employee who having work permit, investor who has their name on the Investment Certificate, and their family (mother, father, wife/husband, children). Its term is maximum 2 years but not excess the work permit's term, or maximum 3 years but not excess Investment Certificate's term. Fee is USD80 or USD100.

You are working for a visa company? It just costs $80-$100?

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

Please help correct me if there is anything wrong, I come here to learn new things. Thanks

You English is good. Don't worry.

Regards

Oh I thought that Mr. Ehjay has got a PRC. Please confirm

yah Im working in kind of visa company. But I only applied for work permit, TRC, Apec Card

A TRC cost $80/$100 as fee to the immigration authority, yes

Thanks for your warm greeting :)

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

Oh I thought that Mr. Ehjay has got a PRC. Please confirm

yah Im working in kind of visa company. But I only applied for work permit, TRC, Apec Card

A TRC cost $80/$100 as fee to the immigration authority, yes

Thanks for your warm greeting :)

You are right. I just read his second post carefully. It must have been a hard decision.

So how much does your company ask for extending visa?

I don't understand why it is even called a Visa exemption, when it has to be renewed every 90, ( 210k ), as does the Spouse type Tourist Visa, ( C2 I think it's called , but it costs 735k per 90 days ), I'm looking at a TRC, ( gave up waiting on the PRC a couple of years ago ), but can anyone tell me/us, if this still involves the 90 day bullshit?

TRC has nothing about 90days extension. 99,99% sure of it  :)

My company does not provide services to individual. I am here not on behalf of my company. Just tell me your situation and I will try to help by all my ability.

bluenz wrote:

I don't understand why it is even called a Visa exemption, when it has to be renewed every 90, ( 210k ), as does the Spouse type Tourist Visa, ( C2 I think it's called , but it costs 735k per 90 days ), I'm looking at a TRC, ( gave up waiting on the PRC a couple of years ago ), but can anyone tell me/us, if this still involves the 90 day bullshit?

Because you don't understand the intent of the program.

Van oi!
Welcome and thanks for sharing such info!
Yeah, some guys were lucky to get the PRC  :)
I hope you will be a good help for our members!
:one

:) Thank you so much. You can call me Khanh or Van Khanh :)

I hope my information can help too. I am working in this field but cannot experience everything. That's why I come here to read other's experience/ knowledge.   

For the PRC, I think it's important to prove that you have a legal residence place (apartment owned by you or house owned by your husband/wife) and stable income for living here (usually by your wife's/your labour contract showing your salary).

Rather than that, I don't know there is any other "unofficial" condition :P

Budman1 wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Thanks for your advice???. Perhaps you could elaborate on this program? ( BMT must be asleep? ).
It's still a Visa , and has to be renewed every 90 days, no matter what it's called.
( Exemption  -- quote exemp·tion
iɡˈzem(p)SH(ə)n/
noun
noun: exemption; plural noun: exemptions

the process of freeing or state of being free from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
    "exemption from prescription charges"
    synonyms:    immunity, exception, dispensation, indemnity, exclusion, freedom, release, relief, absolution

The only exempt thing about this " program ", is that you don't have to leave VN to renew it every 90 days, but a few on here will tell you different, ( no wonder, because it states on the Cert, " Duration of stay does not exceed 90 days for EACH entry "
'
  I don't have to worry about it anymore, anyway, ( the only worry was about forgetting to renew it ).
  Now I THINK I'm getting, ( the wife doesn't know what it is actually called, ), but I suspect it is a TRC, (  The  Tam Tru ), $140, hopefully for 3 yrs, will find out tomorrow, I don't know why she didn't do this before, instead of wasting our time and money applying for a PRC, but she is a VN school teacher , and they apparently know everything.

Budman1 wrote:
bluenz wrote:

bluenz Back in Aug 2007 the program first came into effect, after the 3 month  exception period expired upon first entering Vietnam you could extend upwards to a year at a time Vs. the current 3 months, that went into effect around May or so 2009 when they started to enforce the visa rules. The purpose of the VEC was to facilitate overseas Vietnamese and their family's to return to Vietnam for short periods (up too 3 months) without applying for a visa. It was never intended to be a 5 year resident card, or a  marriage visa. After a period of time the decree was in effect Immigration started  interpreting it to include spouses of VN citizen's living in Vietnam, with foreign passports.

Budman1 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
bluenz wrote:

bluenz Back in Aug 2007 the program first came into effect, after the 3 month  exception period expired upon first entering Vietnam you could extend upwards to a year at a time Vs. the current 3 months, that went into effect around May or so 2009 when they started to enforce the visa rules. The purpose of the VEC was to facilitate overseas Vietnamese and their family's to return to Vietnam for short periods (up too 3 months) without applying for a visa. It was never intended to be a 5 year resident card, or a  marriage visa. After a period of time the decree was in effect Immigration started  interpreting it to include spouses of VN citizen's living in Vietnam, with foreign passports.

Thank you for your info, maybe they should have changed it's name, to stop the confusion
It's also in the fine print, about Spouses of VN's being eligible for a TRC, I don't think many people know this.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

:) Thank you so much. You can call me Khanh or Van Khanh :)

I hope my information can help too. I am working in this field but cannot experience everything. That's why I come here to read other's experience/ knowledge.   

For the PRC, I think it's important to prove that you have a legal residence place (apartment owned by you or house owned by your husband/wife) and stable income for living here (usually by your wife's/your labour contract showing your salary).

Rather than that, I don't know there is any other "unofficial" condition :P

Even a few billion VND in the wife's bank account, and a couple of houses in VN doesn't help, don't waste your time, and money applying for a PRC, it's like a lottery ticket.

bluenz hope it works for you on the TRC. I agree with you also on the PRC, really a hard nut to crack. My problem is that my wife is VK and a US passport holder she's not considered a " VN National" by immigration so currently both the TRC and the PRC aren't really a option for us. The VEC is the best we can get for now. As a side note, our Province holds a get together for all the VK and their spouses living in the area and those visiting around Tet every year. We've been going to them the past 9 years and at the last one my wife spoke with an official from immigration who just happened to be attending the event. He's well aware of our situation (own our own house and land, bucks in the bank and substantial steady retirement income, how many years we've lived here, ect; ect;) He eluded to the fact that there were some extensive changes coming into effect sometime in 2015 and suggested holding on to the  VEC for now and not apply for either a TRC or the PRC till they come into effect. I think it's good advice.

Rick

bluenz wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Thank you for your info, maybe they should have changed it's name, to stop the confusion
It's also in the fine print, about Spouses of VN's being eligible for a TRC, I don't think many people know this.

I was asked to update the possibility of getting a TRC without a work permit, now I'm even wondering,

. Some cases are granted temporary residence card

Foreigner who is a member of the two member limited liability company or more;
Foreigner who is owner of the one member limited liability company( except as authorized representatives);
Foreigner who is a member of the board director of the stock corporation;
Foreign lawyer who is licensed to practice following Vietnam law by the Vietnam Ministry of Justice;
Foreigner who granted working permit in all kinds of businesses or representatives offices of foreign companies;
Professionals, students, trainees who are in the national working or studying programs which is signed between the ministries was approved by the Government;
Relatives of the temporary resident card holder include: parents, spouse and children.

This is the only site I have seen this on, ( relatives option ), but one would think if you are eligible for a PRC by being married to a VN, that a TRC would be even easier?

Budman1 wrote:

bluenz hope it works for you on the TRC. I agree with you also on the PRC, really a hard nut to crack. My problem is that my wife is VK and a US passport holder she's not considered a " VN National" by immigration so currently both the TRC and the PRC aren't really a option for us. The VEC is the best we can get for now. As a side note, our Province holds a get together for all the VK and their spouses living in the area and those visiting around Tet every year. We've been going to them the past 9 years and at the last one my wife spoke with an official from immigration who just happened to be attending the event. He's well aware of our situation (own our own house and land, bucks in the bank and substantial steady retirement income, how many years we've lived here, ect; ect;) He eluded to the fact that there were some extensive changes coming into effect sometime in 2015 and suggested holding on to the  VEC for now and not apply for either a TRC or the PRC till they come into effect. I think it's good advice.
Thks Rick,
   Another option I was already looking into, is starting up a Limited Liability Company, ( 1 person ), I didn't like the fact that you are tied to one Employer with a Work Permit, this also entitles you to a TRC/PRC, it doesn't have to make money, just a front, maybe an idea?
I'm still thinking about it, I have a VN friend helping me on Thursday to go in and find out more.
Rick

bluenz wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Thks Rick,
   Another option I was already looking into, is starting up a Limited Liability Company, ( 1 person ), I didn't like the fact that you are tied to one Employer with a Work Permit, this also entitles you to a TRC/PRC, it doesn't have to make money, just a front, maybe an idea?
I'm still thinking about it, I have a VN friend helping me on Thursday to go in and find out more.
Rick

I know a person who established a Company to get TRC. Yes he did, and got a TRC for 3 years. He just extended it for more 2 years at this August I think.

As he said, you should count on the fee you have to pay for accounting company into the cost also. Its not small.

Van Kanh Ho wrote,
" I know a person who established a Company to get TRC. Yes he did, and got a TRC for 3 years. He just extended it for more 2 years at this August I think.

As he said, you should count on the fee you have to pay for accounting company into the cost also. Its not small. "
   Also need a few $'s minimum capital, but as I'm looking at a solo employment agency, ( hire myself out , maybe VN assistants later ), I will be interested to still how much capital will be needed.

bluenz wrote:

Van Kanh Ho wrote,
" I know a person who established a Company to get TRC. Yes he did, and got a TRC for 3 years. He just extended it for more 2 years at this August I think.

As he said, you should count on the fee you have to pay for accounting company into the cost also. Its not small. "
   Also need a few $'s minimum capital, but as I'm looking at a solo employment agency, ( hire myself out , maybe VN assistants later ), I will be interested to still how much capital will be needed.

Capital is an odd issue also. There is no regulation say how much you must contribute to the company as capital. So at the establishment moment, it's up to you. But the man I said above at the time he tried to extend his TRC was receive a comment from HCM Immigration Department that because the capital in his company is too small, he will only be granted a TRC for 2 years instead of maximum 3 years. They said minimum capital should be $100,000  :cool:

I don't know they said that for real or just want "something else"

He is the only person in his Company too, as investor and director in the same time. No employee

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Van Kanh Ho wrote,

Capital is an odd issue also. There is no regulation say how much you must contribute to the company as capital. So at the establishment moment, it's up to you. But the man I said above at the time he tried to extend his TRC was receive a comment from HCM Immigration Department that because the capital in his company is too small, he will only be granted a TRC for 2 years instead of maximum 3 years. They said minimum capital should be $100,000  :cool:

I don't know they said that for real or just want "something else"

He is the only person in his Company too, as investor and director in the same time. No employee

Wow , it would want to be a good money making business to have $100k tied up in it????  Especially if only a one man company???
Now there another question that will probably baffle them Thursday, I'll ask how to go about Registering a business, etc, if you ALREADY have a TRC?????

Laws, rules, regulations...
Everything created to support people  :)
But the real problem is "Kings & Queens"!
They decide everything. How to climb over the head of people who approach them for help. These kind of sht staff make the country worse!
@Bluenz!
Don't blame your wife for anything  :)
Teaching and immigration/visa rules are different.
Here in Vietnam, I went many offices. More than 5 years experienced staffs even don't know their company rules! Banking staff, Department of Justice staff, Immigration Department staff... the list continuing  :)
Even though they are ignorant of their company rules, they (even security staff) wears 'arrogance' as a crown!
Many lawyers posses almost Vietnamese Law books but never open until they get a related case  :)

If you follow law completely, then you will be a thrash  :)
Anyway you have no right to break the law  :)  That privilege is only to "Kings & Queens"(non conferred) !
(Don't worry, am a law breaker!)

PRC is a mirage in Vietnam.
Even though you have all requirement the law insists, the "Kings & Queens"  must be kind.
Can green bills make people kind?
Co operate with neighbors, photo of Uncle Ho, National flag....
Just forget the PRC  :)
I am really tired of Vietnamese officials and employees in private companies!
Almost every day losing my energy for sht staffs  :)  (Dedicated staffs in offices and companies will forgive me for my arrogance!)
Yeah, there is some greenery in the whole desert!
Wasting $100,000 for TRC?
Just use your brain guys!
As I mentioned in many posts, loophole is within laws :)
There is no exception for that!

charmavietnam wrote:

Everything created to support people  :)
But the real problem is "Kings & Queens"!
They decide everything. How to climb over the head of people who approach them for help. These kind of sht staff make the country worse!
@Bluenz!
Don't blame your wife for anything  :)
Teaching and immigration/visa rules are different.
Here in Vietnam, I went many offices. More than 5 years experienced staffs even don't know their company rules! Banking staff, Department of Justice staff, Immigration Department staff... the list continuing  :)
Even though they are ignorant of their company rules, they (even security staff) wears 'arrogance' as a crown!
Many lawyers posses almost Vietnamese Law books but never open until they get a related case  :)

If you follow law completely, then you will be a thrash  :)
Anyway you have no right to break the law  :)  That privilege is only to "Kings & Queens"(non conferred) !
(Don't worry, am a law breaker!)

PRC is a mirage in Vietnam.
Even though you have all requirement the law insists, the "Kings & Queens"  must be kind.
Can green bills make people kind?
Co operate with neighbors, photo of Uncle Ho, National flag....
Just forget the PRC  :)
I am really tired of Vietnamese officials and employees in private companies!
Almost every day losing my energy for sht staffs  :)  (Dedicated staffs in offices and companies will forgive me for my arrogance!)

Haha, I heard this kind of feeling every where. What can we do? :D Have to face those authority officials everyday, accept the fact and try to think optimistic is the only thing I can do.

One time I complained about Vietnamese authority with an Iranian friend who is living here for about 10 years, then he said, no Vietnamese authority is much better than Iranian  :/ I don't know if it is true but I guess that there are other countries with other problem, so I feel released.

I don't say that figure ($100k) is regulated. It may different in practice with different official. I just give it as a particularly experience, not for general.

VanKhanh Ho wrote
" I don't say that figure ($100k) is regulated. It may different in practice with different official. I just give it as a particularly experience, not for general. "
  Yes I realise that, but it obviously depends on the type of business, there is a VN document called VSIC, it has all the different classifications of businesses, they could have put the minimum capital required as well, but this will no doubt differ from Province to Province, ( like everything else? ).
  Tomorrow I will have some answers, ( for QN city only maybe ).

charmavietnam wrote:

Generally TRC is easier to get if your company endorses you. You need at least a 2 yr contract to have a TRC. It has nothing to do with VN spouse. It has more to do with 'skilled professionals', 'senior managers', 'law consultants' and 'mega investors'.

""All you need is to have the RIGHT connections in RIGHT places. If you can "invest" your time, social networking and a few 'green bills' in the RIGHT place, things can be sorted out easily. It happens everywhere across Asia."" ----- This is what I came to know from one of my ex-colleagues who had spent almost 13 years in VN and to everybody's surprise, he was always the one least worried about his Visa or Contract etc. ....literally everything.

He had TRC for himself and his family members (wife, son, daughter). He and his wife are Indian, their children were born in VN.

I guess, those based out of Hanoi are in a better position to strike the right "chord" in the right place. Need selective networking (hard nut to crack!) though!!

bluenz wrote:

VanKhanh Ho wrote
" I don't say that figure ($100k) is regulated. It may different in practice with different official. I just give it as a particularly experience, not for general. "
  Yes I realise that, but it obviously depends on the type of business, there is a VN document called VSIC, it has all the different classifications of businesses, they could have put the minimum capital required as well, but this will no doubt differ from Province to Province, ( like everything else? ).

If you talk about minimum capital required to conduct a type of business, it may be "Legal capital" not Investment Capital.

Investment capital = Charter capital + loan
Charter capital is number of money you register with the licensing authority that you will contribute to the company when setting it up.

There are about 40 type of businesses are required Legal capital to conduct, for example, at least VND10 bil for real estate business. In these cases, Charter capital must >= Legal capital. For the remain businesses, there is no minimum figure for Charter Capital.

Legal capital is (fortunately) not different between provinces, its regulated on laws

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

VanKhanh Ho wrote

If you talk about minimum capital required to conduct a type of business, it may be "Legal capital" not Investment Capital.

Investment capital = Charter capital + loan
Charter capital is number of money you register with the licensing authority that you will contribute to the company when setting it up.

There are about 40 type of businesses are required Legal capital to conduct, for example, at least VND10 bil for real estate business. In these cases, Charter capital must >= Legal capital. For the remain businesses, there is no minimum figure for Charter Capital.

Legal capital is (fortunately) not different between provinces, its regulated on laws

That sounds good, as i have to have a charter for my business , I fee I should only need " Charter Capital," LOL.
     So basically it means money to survive on until you make some income? In my case , I have other income, so I really don't need any capital, ( but they won't see it like that ), I think they want to know how much it cost to set up the business, so the Govt  can boast about the value of new investments/businesses in VN, ( especially by Foreigners ).
Is there anywhere that we can find out more about these 40 types of businesses?

bluenz wrote:

[

This may help

http://www.lawyervn.net/en/procedures/c … -2014.html

Or you search "List of business are required legal capital in Vietnam up to 2014"

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

[

This may help

http://www.lawyervn.net/en/procedures/c … -2014.html

Or you search "List of business are required legal capital in Vietnam up to 2014"

Thanks I'll give it a go.

I'm a US citizen with a 5 year VEC stamped in my passport. When I go to the Immigration office in HCM at the end of each 90 day period they collect a fee roughly equal to USD$10 in VND and I receive an official receipt. Last time it was 212,200 VND although they unofficially rounded it up to 213,000 VND.

RayG wrote:

I'm a US citizen with a 5 year VEC stamped in my passport. When I go to the Immigration office in HCM at the end of each 90 day period they collect a fee roughly equal to USD$10 in VND and I receive an official receipt. Last time it was 212,200 VND although they unofficially rounded it up to 213,000 VND.

Thanks Ray, I better have that extra 3 k ready, although my now expired by 7 days Visa might cost me more, although technically it shouldn't be able to be renewed, I received a Work Permit on OCT 1, it's the school stuffing me around,  today will be the 5th trip to Immigration, in 2 weeks, yesterday this (moderated : no vulgarity here pls) there refused to do anything with it, ( after waiting 20 minutes for her to come back to the unattended office with her coffee, and she knows why I've been there so many times ).
  I've printed out, shown, and even e-mailed the " Manager " the procedures for changing a VEC to a TRC, but whatever they are trying to do, ( and charge 3 mil ), is beyond me, and they have been renewing the other Teachers Permit each year for 5 yrs now???? VN incompetence at it's finest.

I've heard and read all sorts of figures for what they will charge you for overstaying that date stamp. Minimum is $10/day and it can go much higher. I know the immigration office here in HCM would like to receive the completed paperwork at least 10 days prior to the expiration date but I've taken it in with only 7 days left and haven't experienced any difficulties. Some people seem to be able to get extensions indefinitely and others run into a reluctant official after a couple of years. Best of luck.

RayG wrote:

I've heard and read all sorts of figures for what they will charge you for overstaying that date stamp. Minimum is $10/day and it can go much higher. I know the immigration office here in HCM would like to receive the completed paperwork at least 10 days prior to the expiration date but I've taken it in with only 7 days left and haven't experienced any difficulties. Some people seem to be able to get extensions indefinitely and others run into a reluctant official after a couple of years. Best of luck.

Up here 3 days, ( and they send the Passport to HCMC, 3 days processing ), I would have been a got happier with $10 a day, it cost me 1 mil, for being 2- 3 days late, and my wife was raked over the coals
  Just came from there now, they are renewing my VEC for another month, ( only after my wife had them call a more Senior officer , 20 minutes to explain the usual 5 minute Western version ). The school has had nearly 3 weeks to sort out my new Visa, which  SHOULD be a TRC, but I'm quite sure they haven't got a clue, as I said , technically my VEC is invalid since I started working, ( a VEC holder is not allowed to work ), the problem is that this is a first up here, and typically , no one wants to admit they don't know what to do??? ( and of course won't listen to me , or read what I have downloaded off the internet, even from a GOVT site ).
"  reluctant official " , nice term. I seem to meet a lot of them here, in Aus they are called lazy pricks, ( and that would be a compliment ).

Hi All.

I'm confused. Does this affect us VEC holders? My guess is no but just wanted to put it out there to make sure.

http://residentvietnam.com/immigration- … -will-take

peterpan75 wrote:

Hi All.

I'm confused. Does this affect us VEC holders? My guess is no but just wanted to put it out there to make sure.

No the VEC program is a different program from the regular Visa programs.

Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Hi All.

No the VEC program is a different program from the regular Visa programs.

Thanks Budman1!

Thank you for sharing this quick guide and it is a great help for those who want to travel to Vietnam. Vietnam is evolving, its economy growing, so dont worry => You  will see many changes the coming years, both for the good and the bad.

Hi,

This is a great thread. Can we get exact addresses for Hanoi and HCMC immigration offices in this thread?
Also, for VEC extension, the form I need is N5 correct? I was just looking at that form online? The second section does not really apply to me as I have no host, employer, etc...And do we really need to give a reason on why we are staying longer?!

I'm sorry if this has been posted, did not see it.

Immigration office addresses

charmavietnam wrote:

Immigration office addresses

Thank you! Any help on my other questions would be appreciated! :)