Hacked from US servers: Correa claims attacks on his private computer

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa has accused the US of “systematic, high-tech” cyber-attacks on his private internet accounts and computers, the last of which was traced back to American servers last Thursday.

Read here:
http://rt.com/news/208079-ecuador-usa-cyber-attack/

Am not surprised

gardener1 wrote:

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa has accused the US of “systematic, high-tech” cyber-attacks on his private internet accounts and computers...

Read here:
http://rt.com/news/208079-ecuador-usa-cyber-attack/

We noted this item from the article Top Cat cited, attributed to the ANDES News Agency:

99 percent of Ecuador's internal and external communications travel through computer infrastructure housed in the United States.

Who knew....

cccmedia in Quito

The Germans and Brazilians have caught the U.S. Gov't redhanded spying on their internet traffic. Why should any other country be different?

There are two opinions in this discussion. One group thinks that spying is merely a way of life and is to be expected. The other group thinks that friends shouldn't spy on friends. I agree with the latter opinion. One can say that Ecuador and the U.S. are not real close these days. But, I still don't like it. In the big picture, Ecuador is no enemy of the U.S.A. by any means.

BrandonBP wrote:

The Germans and Brazilians have caught the U.S. Gov't redhanded spying on their internet traffic. Why should any other country be different?

There are two opinions in this discussion. One group thinks that spying is merely a way of life and is to be expected. The other group thinks that friends shouldn't spy on friends. I agree with the latter opinion.

I agree 100 percent with you that there are two sides to this.

Although I don't like government snooping as a concept, I think it's understandable that the U.S. government would seek as much overseas intelligence as possible in the wake of events that occurred 13 years, two months and 12 days ago...to avert any kind of a repeat occurrence.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Although I don't like government snooping as a concept, I think it's understandable that the U.S. government would seek as much overseas intelligence as possible in the wake of events that occurred 13 years, two months and 12 days ago...to avert any kind of a repeat occurrence.

One thing that might help people from hating us so much, is to stop all the things we do to make them hate us so much. To use Latin America as an example... what if the US government hadn't overthrown democratically elected Chilean or Panamanian presidents to install the dictators Pinoche or Noriega? What if the US government hadn't lied to Congress to support the Contra rebels?

What if the US gov't hadn't overthrown the democratically elected leader of Iran in 1953 to install the dictator Shah that led to the Islamic Revolution in '79? What if the US government hadn't given arms and training to the Mujihadeen or Saddam Hussein?

What I'm saying is, there are ways to treat human beings as friends and ways of making enemies. Perhaps we should make more friends so that we don't feel the need to spy on everyone.  And I'm enjoying your posts. :)

Yup, we're myopic, we have short memories and it comes back to bite us in the ass all the time. And we elect the best candidate money can buy in general