Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Hello Williams,

Thanks for the quick response, what i got from your info is that my fiancee needs to have her RG and passport is that all for registering our marriage at the consulate in Pakistan and my ID is my passport plus our official marriage certificate,when and  where is my Police clearance certificate and Birth certificate is submitted

Second is our marriage to be registered in 1º Oficio de Registro Civil do i have to be present there or my wife can take care of it on her own

Further as per your earlier info what i understood was that applying for a VIPER permanent is faster applying from PK than i visiting Brazil and then applying as per previous threads VIPER takes 2 years if marrying and applying in Brazil and abroad it takes 3 to 4 months.

Please confirm....

Yes, she'll need her RG and Passport to register the marriage at the Consulado there in PK. I don't know what other documents she'll need for marriage there, but I presume that she'll certainly need her Birth Certificate (Certidão de Nascimento) which will probably need to be translated too.

When she registers the marriage with the Consulado in PK she'll need to present a certified copy of your ID, if the government there has a Civil Identity Card of some kind, if they don't then I believe a Driver's License or ID page of your passport would do.

You can apply for the VIPER at the Consulado in PK no problem. Since the rules for applying here in Brazil have just changed it now is a lot easier and quicker than it used to be. It's really up to you what you do regarding applying, either there or here. If you come here to apply you're able to stay and even to work right away once you've applied for the VIPER here.

Regarding registering the foreign marriage in the 1º Oficio de Registro Civil here, your wife can do that by herself.

William Thanks,  once again,
Just one more thing:
My wife is from Brazil i didnt understand her birth certificate to be translated

Secondly if you could please confirm how long will it take for VIPER while in Brazil and if i apply from abroad as currently im not in an urgency neither do i have plans in near future to stay ir work in Brazil

If she is getting married in PK, she is almost certainly going to have to produce her Birth Certificate for the process. It will need to be translated into Urdu or any secondary official language in PK to be accepted.

If you have no plans to come to Brazil right away then there is no rush to apply for the VIPER, If you apply abroad then you'd have to come to Brazil within one year of it being issued. I'd apply about 3 to 6 months before you plan to come here.

If you wait and apply for the VIPER here, if all the documents are present and in order, then permanency is granted IMMEDIATELY and you will only wait for about 60 days for the Brazilian ID card. If the documents aren't in order or something is missing they tell you and you have 10 days to sort things out.

Dear Williams,
Just one last confirmation from you on documents:

1. Birth Certificate Attested with both my parents name.
2. Police Character Certificate certifying myself clean from cases
3. Divorce degree from court attested by Ministry of Foreign affairs translated in Portuguese
4. National ID card or PP

For my wife:

1. RG
2. BC
3. Passport

Does she also need:

1. Certificate she is single and never married

thanks and i hope i dont bother you further

For you:

1. The BC must be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil and also authenticated by your Ministry of Foreign Affairs, translated into Portuguese too.

3. Will also need to be legalized by Consulado in PK

4. ONLY your passport will do, must be a certified copy of ALL pages (even blank ones)

For your wife:

3. Passport and visa, depending on PK laws / regulations.

Yes, she will probably need a certificate or declaration of some kind that she is single (never married), it will likely need to be attested here and will also probably need to be translated into Urdu.

William, Thanks a million shall come back to you for another big thanks once all done...

Hi, I am married with a brazilian and we are planning to apply for a permanent visa.  But my concern is my tourist visa has already expired,  if i apply for a permanent visa,do I still need to exit and then just go back again to Brazil  or  I will just comply with the requirements and apply right away? thanks and God bless.

No you don't need to leave Brazil.

Under other circumstances applying for a VIPER Permanent Visa, one must do so when their visa stay is still valid. However, if you are applying based on marriage or on having a Brazilian child, you can still apply even though you're in an overstay situation. The Federal Police can't refuse your application because it would violate Art. 226 of the Constitution which guarantees special protection for the family unit.

It even states this in the Ministry of Justice webpage about permanency:

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … ermanencia

The first paragraph of "Permanência no Brasil" is the operative part......

"As a rule, only foreigners who are in a regular migratory situation may request Permanency in Brasil. However in the case that it is proven the "inexpulsability" of the foreigner (being the parent or spouse a Brazilian)  - Art. 75, II, “a” e“b” da Lei 6.815/80 – the requirement of a regular stay can be waived, in view ot the Constitutional principal of Protection of the family unit."

They may ask you to pay the small overstay fine when you apply. While there is some juris prudence that you really don't need to pay the fine in this case, DO NOT argue with them over it. It is such a small amount anyway.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

sami.inps10 wrote:

hi

???????????
Your post is a little short on information   :whistle:

Are you getting married in Brazil

How can we help you

Hi, I'm Brazilian and my fiancée is British. We both live in Dubai however. We wanted to sign our marriage certificate when in Brazil for holidays next year. We might go to Brazil for 2 months. I wanted to know what documents does he need to get married to me at my hometown and how long will the whole process take? I'm gonna be there a month before him, could I start the process without him? Our intention is just to get married and no need to apply for a visa as we live in Dubai.

Much appreciated.

Paula

Hi Paula,

If you go back and read the very first posting on this topic thread it outlines all of the documents needed in order to apply for "habilitação de casamento" and to get married in Brazil.

Yes you can start the process on your own, but depending upon the Cartório where you plan on getting married you may required to have a notarized power of attorney (procuração) in order to do so, you should check with the Cartório to see if they will allow you to.

May I take it that you have family that still lives in Brazil and this is why you desire to get married in your hometown? Since you've stated that you don't intend to apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa for your fiancée afterward since you live in Dubai you might want to consider finding a priest or pastor who is willing to perform a symbolic church wedding (which has no force in law) here and just get married there in Dubai or in the UK whichever is easier. A symbolic church wedding here woudn't require all these documents. If you are going to be getting legally married here in Brazil for immigration purposes in Dubai then yes you'll need to go through the civil marriage in the Cartório and provide all these documents

You will need to produce proof of YOUR address in Brazil in the civil marriage process, if you are only here temporarily then you will need to discuss with the staff at the Cartório regarding signing a Declaração de Residência Sob Pena da Lei, since you won't be able to provide then with a utility bill (or the like) with your name on it. If you're staying with relatives you can use a copy of their utility bill anexed to the Declaração.

Cheers,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

We need to get properly married in Brazil as the process is easier than Dubai.

You mentioned: birth certificate for him ( why does it have to be issued within b180 days before tho?) also a entry visa? He is British so he doesn't get an entry visa, he can stay in Brazil for 3 mo this without one.

Can you please once again specify the documents he needs to get together and what is the first thing I have to do when arriving in Brazil without him. Go where to start the process?

Can I get a power of attorney here in Dubai? Is it valid in Brazil?
Many thanks once again

For any legal process in Brazil (including marriage or immigration) documents must have been issued within the 180 days prior to being submitted (or legalized by Consulate) or they are not considered to be valid. That goes for your Birth Certificate too. Just part of the insane bureaucracy in this country.

Regarding the visa, he will need to make a certified copy of the current entry stamp page of his passport, that is his visa since it is a VWP entry to Brazil. Everyone needs a visa of one form or another to enter Brazil, either a Consular Visa that one applies for and the Consulado places in the passport or the entry stamp in one's passport given by the Policia Federal at the point of entry. It still is a visa.

Again the documents are:

DOCUMENTS NECESSARY FOR MARRIAGE PROCESS

1.     Original of your Birth Certificate (Long Form), which must have been issued within the previous 180 days or it will not be considered valid in Brazil. The long form is the registration of your birth which shows the full names of both of your parents, their nationality, etc. A wallet sized Birth Certificate IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, since it doesn't show your parents' names. The original Birth Certificate must be LEGALIZED BY THE CONSULADO-GERAL DO BRASIL in the country where it is issued AND THEN IT MUST ALSO BE AUTHENTICATED BY THE ISSUING COUNTRY'S CONSULATE IN BRAZIL or DEPT. OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS if done in the issuing nation. This is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY so don't omit this step or you won't be able to marry in Brazil. That must be done within the 180 day period that the document is considered valid. Once "legalized" by the Consulate then it will continue to be valid until used in Brazil. When you arrive in Brazil the Birth Certificate must be translated into Portuguese by a notarized translator (Tradutor Juramentada). The origninal of the Birth Certificate and translation must be submitted together to the Cartório at the time you apply for permission to marry. Get two Certified copies made of the Birth Certificate because you may be asked for one in the Permanent Visa process

2.     A clear and legible Certified copy of your passport; identification page and visa page(s) - Note: Take the original passport to the Cartório, they will make the certified copies there. Get two Certified copies made since you need one for Permanent Visa process

3.     A clear and legible Certified copy of your Entry Card - Note: again the Cartório will make this copy for you so take the original.

4.     If you are single and never married before you need a Declaration from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in your home country) that you are single. This must be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral (in country of issue) and be translated into Portuguese here in Brazil.

If you are divorced then you will need to produce either your Divorce Decree (final/absolute) in its entirety or a Divorce Certificate which is issued by the Court that granted the divorce. If you submit the Divorce Certificate it must also have been issued within the previous 180 days to be valid, so you can't use one you may already have, you have to obtain a new one from the Court. Whichever of these documents you intend to submit must also be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil (in country of issue) and translated into Portuguese in Brazil. It will also need to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in the country of issue) or their Consulate/Embassy in Brazil.

Your prospective spouse must submit the following:

1.     Original identity document (Registro Geral)

2.     Original Social Security Card (CPF - Cadastro de Pessoas Fisicas)

3.     Original Birth Certificate

4.     Proof of address (usually a telephone / electric / water bill will suffice)

5.     Proof of date and location of birth of his/her parents (usually contained on your spouse's Birth Certificate)

NOTE: The legal / document requirements may vary from state to state so you must check with the Cartório where you will marry if they require any additional documents.

Regarding getting a POA (procuração) from your fiancée in Dubai I really can't say, first it would have to be originally written in Portuguese, in which case there may be problems in getting it notarized there; or it must be translated into Portuguese by a "tradutor juramentado" here in Brazil which is just another additional expense and they don't come cheap by any means. You really should be contacting the Cartório de Registro Civil e Pessoas Naturais in which you plan to get married to find out about the Power of Attorney and get them to provide you with a list of exactly what documents THEY want. Since every Cartório in the nation makes up their own rules despite what the legislation requires. The list above is what the legislation requires and comes with an observation at the bottom.

Thank you so much. All have been very useful to me.

One last question - how long do you think everything would take once we are both in Brazil trying to get the marriage certificate? Belo Horizonte is where I was born and my family lives.

It will take just a little over a month from the time you submit the paperwork to the Cartório since the wedding banns must be published in the DOU for 30 days and then the "habilitação de casamento" is published. If any of the paperwork is missing or not in order then it will take longer. I can tell you from personal experience with the Cartórios in Belo Horizonte they follow the rules very strictly and may even require more than listed.

Dear William James Woodward,

i wish to share my happiness,finally after long struggle with my  paper works i got married with my brazlian girl friend.  Thank you so much for all your information and everything went smooth in marriage even belo horizonte civil register office personnel are very helpful.please let me know steps to apply for PR Visa & work premit .i am planning to visit Federal police coming friday and my tourist visa is getting expired on 10/12/2014.
i need to make any appointment before visitng fedral police or can apply in online???

Regards,
Azar.

Hello Azar,

Congratulations on your marriage. You are now on the list of my success stories and another reason to make me happy I'm doing this volunteer job.

You will make the appointment apply for your "Permanência Definitiva" through the Policia Federal website

http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … -e-anistia

and apply to register in the RNE and for your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro all at one time.

Just go back to the first posting on this topic and read it. It will explain the process to you.

Once you've applied for permanency then you can go to the Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho e Empregos in Belo Horizonte with your Marriage Certificate, your passport that will then be stamped as permanent, your protocol and a 3X4 photo and they will issue you a work permit.

Cheers,
James

Hi, Sir
please tell me how long it will take barazilian passpot after barazilian resident?

In order to obtain a Brazilian passport you must first become a Brazilian citizen. If you are married to a Brazilian or if you have a Brazilian child and based permanency upon those grounds, then you are required to wait ONE YEAR from the time you were granted permanency before you can apply for naturalization. In all other cases you must wait FOUR YEARS before you can apply for naturalization. Only then can you apply for a passport.

In all cases you must meet ALL of the requirements for naturalization, which includes passing a test of fluency in the Portuguese language called the CELPE-Bras. It is NOT an easy process.

thanks for reply     sir if some one dose not pass the language test then?

Then you simply do not get citizenship. ALL of the conditions must be met for naturalization as in any other country. In most countries being able to speak the official language(s) of the country is a condition of naturalization. For example, in Canada you will not get citizenship if you do not speak either English or French to a reasonable level of fluency. Brazil's requirements for naturalization are no different.

thank you soo much for that

Hello William! I am a refugee living in South Africa and I have a United Nations Conventional Travel Document( Valid Passport) that I want to use to travel to Brazil. Say I want to get married to a Brazilian woman, please tell me if it is a waste of time or if you have any suggestions for me please tell me William. 

Thank you for your time

It all depends upon the country of your origin. Depending upon where you have citizenship you may find it very difficult to obtain any category of Brazil visa since there are different regulations and requirements for each country. It will also depend on the length of visa stay you were given should you actually be granted a visa, since the marriage process in Brazil takes upwards of one month. You must first apply for permission to marry (habilitação de casamento), then the marriage banns must be published for 30 days in the Official Gazette, only then is the permission granted and the marriage can take place. So if you get anything less than a 90 day stay it would be extremely difficult to get through the whole process in time, even if you had all of the necessary documents ready before arriving in Brazil.

I am thanking you very much for your answer, how fast so well and what can I say; I am grateful, thanks.

Hello William, It is me again. I am a refugee living in South Africa and I have a United Nations Conventional Travel Document( Valid Passport) that I want to use to travel to Brazil. You provided me with clear details; thanking you again but I have other questions. William? when I get married in Brazil to a Brazilian woman, can it be possible to get to applying a permanent visa with my United Nations Conventional Travel Document (i.e it is a normal Passport like others but inside it states REFUGEE)? I know guys from here who got a visa to Brazil using the same passport.

Thanking you

While you may obtain a VITUR Tourist Visa to visit Brasil, you WILL NOT be able to claim refugee status here since you're already granted refugee status in another nation and thus no longer in any real and present danger, which is after all, the basis for a refugee claim.

That said, should you visit Brazil and not leave the country, refugee in another nation or not, you would certainly be deported.

If you are coming to Brazil with the intention to marry a Brazilian then you need to hope you will be granted at least a 90 day visit, better still if it can also be extended. Otherwise you would not have time to get through the entire marriage process. Once legally married, then yes you are entitled to apply for permanency. If all the paperwork is in order then (if applying based on marriage) the permanency is granted immediately, you have the right to obtain your Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS (work permit), find a job, etc., upon having made the application.

If you cannot get a 90 day stay visa, the only other option would be to have your Brazilian lady come to wherever you are now as a tourist and marry there. At that point she would need to register the marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil and you would be permitted to apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa through the Consulado.

Cheers,

Hello William

Thank you for the clarification again Mr William. Prior to marriage,  I have no intention to claim refuge status , our intention is to settle or live there for the rest of our days. I would like to be sure my passport will not interfere with my endeavors to obtain permanent residence and suchlike. My prospective mate does not reconcile the idea of getting married here due to family issues and work related setbacks, that being said, I am entitled to leave everything behind once for all. I wanna  be sure I am making the right decision. So far thank you Dear William, how helpful you already are to me!

Mbstanson

As I said, it's all going to come down to whether or not you will be able to get a visa that will allow you a minimum of a 90 day stay (and better if it's one you can extend). This will be based not only on what passport you hold, but also your country of origin.

Regarding both the marriage and permanency process, they depend upon submitting the necessary documents, most of which you must obtain from the country where you were born and have them legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country that issues them and also authenticated either by that country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent) or that country's Consulate in Brazil. You're going to need your ORIGINAL Birth Certificate (issued within the previous 180 days prior to legalization at the Consulado-Geral), a Certified Criminal Record Check (or country's equivalent document) issued no more than 60 days prior to submission to Consulado-Geral do Brasil. If you have absolutely NO criminal record in Brazil or abroad you may sign a notarized Declaration under penalty of law provided by the Federal Police in Brazil.

Remember that in most countries, you are going to undergo a personal interview at the Consulado-Geral with a visa officer, he/she will ultimately be the one who decides whether or not you will be granted a visa, and exactly how long of a visit it will permit.

Hello William

Once again many thanks along with heartfelt appreciation for your readiness to help me personally. I wouldn't imagine advice like these would be offered free of charge with such an open heart in this me first world!  Thanks

Hello William,

I hope you are doing fine. Do you have any suggestions for me on how I can hook a 9 month tourist visa?

Thanks

There is not such thing as a 9 month tourist visa. The most one can stay in Brazil as a tourist is 180 days in any "rolling" one year time period. The only way to stay longer than this would be to obtain some kind of VITEM Temporary Visa such as a VITEM-IV Student Visa or a VITEM-V Work Visa. Both of which have very stringent requirements.

Hi there, planning on my marrying my Brazilian girfriend in Rio sometime between next June and September (depending how quick we can get permission etc) I was just wondering is it absolutely necessary to get my documents translated IN Rio or can I get them translated here in the UK before I go, so we won't have to mess around in Rio and we can have all the docs ready to go as soon as I get there?

Also is there an estimated total price of everything necessary for the permanent visa after getting married?

Thank you for any help.

Hi Stephen,

The legislation, as I read it, requires that the translations be done in Brazil by a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado) and about the only exception that I'm aware of is if the translation is done by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in your country. This would probably be considerably more expensive than having it done here in Brazil and it is quite likely that it would be done by a member of the consular staff with a rather limited grasp of the English language at any rate. Generally speaking translation of simple documents such as Birth Certificates, Divorce Certificates, etc., are done in a relatively short time frame here in Brazil (around a week max.) so I would really advise getting it done here upon arrival, it's not going to slow down the process by that much at any rate.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Ah that's kinda what I expected, which is not a problem at all if it doesn't slow down the process. So as I understand it, the only thing I have to do here is get all the documents needed legalised, is that correct?

Thank you for the quick reply.

Great advice,  thanks

Not counting the expenses of the wedding festivities; just the fees involved with the Cartório, translation of documents, notarization of documents and/or signatures, visa and registration fees surrounding permanency, etc., I would suggest that you budget anywhere between R$4000 to R$5000 just to be on the safe side. You'll be looking at around R$300 just for the fees at the Policia Federal, notarization for all the documents required around R$800 or more, translation count on around R$200 per page, if not more. Legalization of your BC and Certificate of Single Status or Divorce Certificat (if divorced) by the Consulado runs somewhere around R$100 per document depending on the Consulado. These all add up. My buddy just blew R$300 at the Cartório for a certified copy of every single page of his passport, even though they can fit two open pages on one A4 sheet of copy paper, they charge for notarizing each individual page of the passport, not how many pages of copies are used.

Yes, you need to have them legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil AND ALSO authenticated by either the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent body) in the country where they were issued OR by the country's Embassy/Consulate here in Brazil.

Thank you so much for the replies and the information, hopefully everything can go as smoothly as I hope it will. I'll be sure to come back with more questions closer to the time and will let you know how it goes, again...thank you.