Some quick infos about Léon

Hola!

I am new around, just got in to Leon. I will be here for two months working for an NGO there as an intern. I did not settled down yet, but I already have a couple of questions that you may be able to address:

-Does anyone know if the area far north (ahead of la Recoleccion) is dangerous? People looked friendly, it is a popular area, but I rather get infos by people knowing the place!

-Is there any martial arts club in the city? Or, if not, any good and cheap sport club I could attend to?

Thanks for your help!!

Que le vayan bien! cuidanse!

Hola,

I've used this Expat.com for several years now, with great results. I've had excellent feedback and responses from every single country I have posted in, with the exception of Nicaragua.  I wish I could tell you why that is, but I have no clue.

My instincts are questioning my focus.  Perhaps I'll just visit and not do the research I intended as I get a feeling my presence is not supposed to live in Nica. It make me sad as I had such high hopes. If I can't get expats to provide feedback then what are my alternatives?

Sending out thoughts for all things positive to all..............

Ok, since non of the 1000's living here will answer you, I will give it a shot, 1st of all I've only been here in Granada a month. Got here end of rainy and now starting dry season. I have not been to Leon yet but research suggests it's about 10 degrees hotter and a little less rainfall. If you want cooler, look at Estelí or Matagalpa which are in the mountains. Here in Granada, I live about 5 blocks from Central park. The other side of the park, Calle Calsada which is "restaurant row", runs down to the lake. This street is a pedestrian only zone with tables on the sidewalks as well as the street. Taxis are 10 Cordoba in the day and about 20 at night (.38 and .77 US) The people are very friendly. For example, the maid at my hostel noticed I'd been sick, so she went home on her lunch break and made me an herbal tea and brought it to me. I felt better the next day. Wow. Who would do that in the States. I go back home the end of January and if everything is still like it is now, I will go home and get my papers together to apply for residency. I hope a little bit of this helps you. They are right when they say "just come on down and look for yourself" That's what I did!

U have to be careful everywhere in the country. Always be smart about where u travel and how u get there.
I see kids all the time in karate ghees? Running all around the city of Leon and they have to be taking class somewhere. There are lots of Americans here now and they are with church groups or schools. I'm sure that if you can't find a school you can find someone to give you private lessons. How long are you here for?

I live in Leon as well so if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I never check this site hardly but I think it updates me when someone responds to my post. Have u been up on top of Cerro negro yet. I rode my motorcycle all around that place the other day and that was a blast. I have buddy's from NYC come all the time and we rent a hacienda for a day and do some horseback ridding or even private party stuff. Hope you like as well as we do.

I just spent 3 months in Leon and am preparing my move there.

I walked a lot around in Leon, also North of the Recollecion church, but only during daytime. It is quieter than in the center, bu I do not know how it is to run around during night time.

I saw children train Taek-wan Do in the Casa de la Cultura (5 min West of Plaza Central). They offer many different activities, so there is a chance they also have courses for adults.

But it might be a good idea to contact the university or students - I am sure they also offer courses.

If you are looking for a hostel for the first days, there is a great variety of hostels in all barrios, for 10-15$ a private room or 4-5$ in a dorm.

And many private houses offer rooms for students, so I think finding somthing should not be very difficult.

I wish you a great time in Leon!

I don't have a clue either. I'm going to Nicaragua at the end of Oct this year and hope to
find a job teaching English (with a Scottish accent). I speak fluent Spanish (with a Madrid accent)

I have done a lot of research in both English and Spanish journals and it is a fact that Nicaragua has
a much lower crime rate than any of the countries that surround it, so you'll be pleased to know that.

What I recommend is the various videos on You Tube about the country. It comes across as a really laid-back place. I particularly like Madrilenos por el mundo: Nicaragua, especially if you're learning Spanish, or Castellano, as they call it in Latin America.

Hope I was of some help.

James,
Although i recommended your answer, I will advise you to look for work from where you are and before you go to Nicaragua.  There are volunteer opportunities if you can afford to do that for about six months to a year. It is very different to see Nicaragua from the outside than from the inside.
Good luck to you.
Cristina