Looking for travel buddy to do the TEFL Teach english- in THAILAND

Heyyy
So I am just finishing my online tefl course so I can be qualified to be able to teach english in THAILAND!!

I want to go this MAY/JUNE 2014. I am looking for other people who have the same plan! I am too scared to go over alone It would be so great if I could find some travel buddies!!
And also hear from people who have done teaching in thailand before, as your advice and opinions etc on how to go about it all would really be helpful.

I am 24 female, irish/british, living in London.

x Julie

Hi Julie Louise,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to post an advert in the Travel partners in Bangkok section please as it might help :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I would go for that but I am not a native speaker and this is a major issue unfortunately...

Hi do you have to speak thai in order to do this teaching course? Any info would be appreciated thanks!

Radu, drop me a message if you are already in Bangkok, maybe we`ll have a beer (sorry for the off topic)

GrahamBabyFace wrote:

Hi do you have to speak thai in order to do this teaching course? Any info would be appreciated thanks!

Most schools frown on using Thai in the classroom. But, learning Thai for your daily life is always helpful!

Radu, You really do not have to be a native speaker to teach english in Thailand. Even though they say so in the advertisements,  they will take you if you are well qualified with experience. My wife is South African and she is teaching in an International School here for a very good salary.The Jobs you get with a TEFL are poorly paid  and long uncomfortable working hrs and conditions. To teach in a school the minimum requirement is some degree not necessarily in Education. To get your work permit you need to pass an English test in an Institution in Bangkok.

Are you still going?  I did the TEFL thing for one year followed by one year with the United Nations in Bangkok.  I'm back in US now and currently finishing up my degree.  My classes are online so I spent the last few months in BKK.  Just got back.

Anyway I wont be going back anytime soon, though I want to badly.  But I can help you with advice or remote help.  I"ll help anyone who's willing to go try it in thailand.  It's a great country.  You can add me to facebook.  facebook.com/Robbman2000

If you decide to come to Chiang Mai, which I highly recommend, I will be happy to support you.  I live here and my Daughter teaches here.
Sharron

Dear Julie:

I am a retired English/International educator with work experience in Thailand. Before I advise you further could you tell me if you have any other tertiary qualifications (apart from TEFLA). I could then give you some clear alternatives...Bill HERON>>Thailand

Hi thanks for messages!
I am looking to secure the teaching job before I go over and that I just can't seem to do!! All the agencies I've contacted can only offer me schools in lopburi or Phetchabun or chun town in pattaya province with pay like 25000. I was hoping for chiang Mai or anywhere down south or just anywhere near a beach really! Doesn't seem like I can get it, out of those places which is the best?
I would appreciate any advice and tips please as id like to secure a job over there ASAP as I want to get over there ASAP!
I hold a BA degree and tefl cert and police check cert and lots of childcsre exoerience being an au pair for almost 2 years.

Thanks for your quick reply:

25000 for your qualifications is a bit low... Let me talk to some people and get back to you...Bill HERON

Thanks so much! Let me know!
I really don't like how I'm stuck to choosing between Phetchabun and lopburi... :-(

My boyfriend (25), a college friend (22) and myself (27) are looking to move to Chiang Mai in August of this coming year to teach English as well!

JulieLouise wrote:

Thanks so much! Let me know!
I really don't like how I'm stuck to choosing between Phetchabun and lopburi... :-(

Have you looked at the site ajarn.com?

Yes I've applied to lots of those jobs. So far no response :-(

From USA about to do the same, hopefully by May . Traveling alone too;( but I'm in a another world , don't mind being your travel buddy?

Hey!!
Cool!! Have u sorted out a job over there yet?x

Not yet, still working on it;(

Same! I'm struggling to Secure a job!! So hard! What areas are u interested in living in?

I would like to be just outside of Bagkok or there a bouts. I don't necessarily have to be in the South, but that would be a plus for me.

I got a job offer in nakhon si Thammarat! I hope it's a safe place?

Hello Louise,
I am in California,graduated with my TEFL cert last fall,and have been looking online for employment for 6 months so far without any replies.It's a little discouraging after the amount of intensive schooling I went through,thinking that this was a field where jobs were plentiful and opportunities boundless. I think the best way to handle this would be directly going over and applying in person BUT I have never been to Asia ( I have lived in Ire.,UK,France etc) and am planning on going at the same time as you. If anyone has any leads,that would be great. It would be great to have a travel buddy or just someone to collaborate with. Cheers, Sydnie

Hey! Oh god I know the feeling!!
do u wanna add me in fb and we can talk more about it!? My fb name is Julie Louise Phillips.
X

I'll do that! I see you're in Dublin...are you going to be able to adjust to all that warmth and sunshine?LOL. I'll contact you on FB -thanks for the reply. Slainte, Sydnie

I'm in london actually I don't know why it comes up as Dublin!? I moved over frok there two half years ago!! Yep add me now so we can talk properly :-)

Congrats Louise I'm still waiting and hoping may is the month for me. Still need a travel buddy, but I see you found one closer to home;(

I haven't found any travel buddy yet just trying on making tons and tons of friends! Also feel free to add me now on fb so I can hear about your plans ??
Search me under Julie Louise Phillips - location London. My cover photo is me in the sea

Hey,

Just wanted to know if your offer is still available :)

I have a TEFL but no degree and no experience, any info would be appreciated!

Many Thanks

Hey,

Are you guys there now?

I'm currently looking for work and could do with some direction. I have a TEFL but no degree
How are you guys finding it?

sharronowens wrote:

If you decide to come to Chiang Mai, which I highly recommend, I will be happy to support you.  I live here and my Daughter teaches here.
Sharron

Just wanted to know if your offer is still available :)

I have a TEFL but no degree and no experience, any info would be appreciated!

Many Thanks

mattnicklow wrote:

My boyfriend (25), a college friend (22) and myself (27) are looking to move to Chiang Mai in August of this coming year to teach English as well!

Hey,

Are you guys there now?

I'm currently looking for work and could do with some direction. I have a TEFL but no degree

Tamdee wrote:
mattnicklow wrote:

Hey,

Are you guys there now?

Hi there,

My husband and I took a TEFL course in October. He has a degree and I do not. He found a job right away, it took me about a week longer but I did end up getting a kindergarten teaching job without a degree. Now it is illegal to work in Thailand without a degree, however there are ways around it. For me it works because I can stay here on my Non O visa with my husband having a Non B and a work visa. The visa thing is really what gets tricky with being here without a degree.

Helo Bill am also having same situation I would love some advice too

Hi may I know how to apply the online course and how I go about it? I am currently living in bangkok

Hi, to go about it either you have good connections with the school or an agent they might able to do it for you . For now is still no big deal

hotbuthappy wrote:
Tamdee wrote:
mattnicklow wrote:

Hey,

Are you guys there now?

Hi there,

My husband and I took a TEFL course in October. He has a degree and I do not. He found a job right away, it took me about a week longer but I did end up getting a kindergarten teaching job without a degree. Now it is illegal to work in Thailand without a degree, however there are ways around it. For me it works because I can stay here on my Non O visa with my husband having a Non B and a work visa. The visa thing is really what gets tricky with being here without a degree.

I replied to you on #36 :)

how much was course and where you apply to do it?