New members of the Laos forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Laos forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Laos if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi, my name is Philippe. I used to work in Nepal as a country director for a German NGO supporting poor and marginalized communities in the rural area of the country. I recently joined my japanese wife Kaori who got a job assignment with JICA. We have a 2 year old son.

Cheers,
Philippe

Hello Dear Expat.com

My name is Borin 25 years old. I'm a student and had graduated Hight school since 5 years a go.
I'm coming from Cambodia and i'm living in Lao at Pakse City and work as Volunteary teacher to teach Lao student like english, korean and computer basic. Evenmore work as helping the Laper who are in poor area and care them with serving food.
My working not belong to another NGO just my willing to help them as do as posible.
Thank you Dear. ..

Hi, My name is Zawar Hussain.I am a student and living in Islamabad.I want to proceed my further study abroad and studying ielts.

Love you all,
Zawar Hussain

Every text I get, I always hope it's you.

Hi Everyone in Expat.com,

My name is Clement and i am glad to stay connected with all expat like me staying aboard.

Currently i staying in VTE and hope to see more exciting activities & share experience going on in Laos.

Cheers

Clement

Well, if you need to learn Lao language, so ask me I'd to help

Hello,

My name is Anna daley and I have been traveling with my husband and our 3 year old daughter for the past 7months. We just arrived in Laos where I am going to be doing an internship with a textiles and local crafts company in Luang Prabang. We are looking for a place to stay for about 300 to 400$ per month with access to a kitchen.
If anyone could help me out with this I would be very grateful!
Thanks

Hi and welcome to Laos   :) 

Rentals are hard to find in Luang Prabang. I would suggest that you ask you employer to see it they can arrange something temporary for you whilst you then can get settled in and start looking around.
Once there you can connect with expats living there for information.

An online search will come up with very little in your price range.

The only one as follows www.laolands.weebly.com  Their website show 3 places.

Good luck

I disagree. Rentals are not that difficult to find in LP. You need to do a few things - check with the expat community, ride around on a bike and look at the for rent signs, go to an agent in that order.
We have had great success for our staff in finding accommodation for not unreasonable prices.

stumble onto this website, very useful and interesting info. thanks

Hello expats!

We are a portuguese couple and we have been traveling for 2 months with  2 motorbike across Vietnam. We want to continue our trip and go to Laos and Cambodia, but we have heard conflicting information about the input and output of motorcycles (Vietnamese).

We would like to know if we can cross the border from Vietnam to Laos and Laos to Cambodia without problems?Alternatively, following Vietnam to Cambodia and cross the border to Laos (and eventually across the border to Thailand always with the Vietnamese bikes) would also be an option to consider.

Thanks for your help!

Nuno and Ana

[email protected]

2NORTEADOS wrote:

Hello expats!

We are a portuguese couple and we have been traveling for 2 months with  2 motorbike across Vietnam. We want to continue our trip and go to Laos and Cambodia, but we have heard conflicting information about the input and output of motorcycles (Vietnamese).

We would like to know if we can cross the border from Vietnam to Laos and Laos to Cambodia without problems?Alternatively, following Vietnam to Cambodia and cross the border to Laos (and eventually across the border to Thailand always with the Vietnamese bikes) would also be an option to consider.

Thanks for your help!

Nuno and Ana

[email protected]

It is not too difficult. To enter Laos you will need documents to prove that the bike is yours, a valid passport with 6 months or more on it. You will have to fill out papers at the border. Please note that this can only be done at International border crossings and nowhere else. 

Check out this website for info.  www.gt-rider.com

Hi I am Chris - British expat living in Singapore and moving to Vientiane in July 2015.  I am here to learn and help my move go smoothly!  I have lived in London, Frankfurt and Tokyo - looking forward to moving to Vientiane!

vacreative wrote:

Hi I am Chris - British expat living in Singapore and moving to Vientiane in July 2015.  I am here to learn and help my move go smoothly!  I have lived in London, Frankfurt and Tokyo - looking forward to moving to Vientiane!

Please feel free to read posts available in the category section of this forum, right hand side of this page.
If you have children you should start checking out the international schools.

Dear all,

I am a new here, working at New Rose Boutique Hotel. Vientiane is nice place to live and work, I very much like to live here. Have been here few months, but I was enjoy with the food and environment.

Nice to meet you all.
Kim

Hi
I arrived in Laos 3 weeks ago.. Before I use to live in Cambodia. Hong Kong. Chi. ( asia) . 
I do marketing training marketing consulting. Brand management .
I used to work in many Fields.... In many countries Egypt. UAE.Czech republic Libya Syria

I am looking for a job in laos.  ....

Omar933 wrote:

Hi
I arrived in Laos 3 weeks ago.. Before I use to live in Cambodia. Hong Kong. Chi. ( asia) . 
I do marketing training marketing consulting. Brand management .
I used to work in many Fields.... In many countries Egypt. UAE.Czech republic Libya Syria

I am looking for a job in laos.  ....

Welcome to the forum...

I suggest that you Google search for jobs in your field of expertise.

My name it Toula, been living in Laos for 9 years now. I blend in very well, was born here but left when I was 8 months old. Working for a Government Development Agency. Constantly traveling and photographing this wonder part of the world.

Skills in IT, Communication and Production Manufacturing. Interests in Travel and Visual Communication projects.

Hope to meet some of you!

Hi Toula,

I'm an English teacher here in Vientiane, and would be happy to meet for a drink or a meal. Please tell me what suits you. Diana

Hi Everyone,

I've been living in Laos for seven years, I came across the blog and found a lot of good information and also thought it a good read.
Keep up the good work and I will contribute as much as my experiences and knowledge allow.

Regards Gazpacho.

hotgazpacho wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been living in Laos for seven years, I came across the blog and found a lot of good information and also thought it a good read.
Keep up the good work and I will contribute as much as my experiences and knowledge allow.

Regards Gazpacho.

Welcome to the forum.

Please introduce yourself with a little information. For security reasons no personal contact details please.
Please feel free to contribute and please make sure you read the terms and conditions of the forum which you can find at the bottom of this page.

No worries,
As I say, been out here seven years, spent time in Thailand before that, landed there in '99 to do some work and fell in love with SEA so packed all my stuff up back in IC and made this area my home. Much more laid back than I ever could have imagined. Married in Laos with a beautiful Daughter and couldn't really ask for much more, other than the mandatory cold BL's after a hard day at the office.

hotgazpacho wrote:

No worries,
As I say, been out here seven years, spent time in Thailand before that, landed there in '99 to do some work and fell in love with SEA so packed all my stuff up back in IC and made this area my home. Much more laid back than I ever could have imagined. Married in Laos with a beautiful Daughter and couldn't really ask for much more, other than the mandatory cold BL's after a hard day at the office.

I too have a Lao wife and 3 children and am looking to get work there so I can be with them more often. And yes, BL is a great beer.

Hi Expat.comgers, my name is tony from Australia. I'm teaching at Kiettisack International School in Vientiane for 3 yrs now and have recently opened the Mojo Bar and restaurant in Sokpaluang village. Always interested in sharing valuable expat info.

powerar wrote:

Hi Expat.comgers, my name is tony from Australia. I'm teaching at Kiettisack International School in Vientiane for 3 yrs now and have recently opened the Mojo Bar and restaurant in Sokpaluang village. Always interested in sharing valuable expat info.

Welcome.

My youngest daughter attends Kiettisak school. She loves it. Been there since she was 3, turns 9 next month.

Do you have website for the bar ?? Or a location in relation to KIS ??

Hi Stumpy,
Didn't know what to expect in the way of replies. Great to know you have a daughter at Kiettisack. I'm based on the secondary campus, so probably have not encountered her yet. But Mojo's is just across the intersection from Kiettisack opposite the Electricity Company. It's the tall 3 story building with a blue billboard advertising air conditioners (previous owner). Have no street signage yet, but its coming. As is our web-site. (removed: advertising your business is not allowed here - please register in the business directory). Follow this web address to check out our developing web site. Please call in and bring your friends!! We have a great (Lao) staff, our menu is growing, and we cater for expats as well as locals.

Thanks powerar.

My eldest daughter was in the secondary dept until  last year when she turned 18.  I am looking to be in Laos in a month or so and will probably make a visit to your establishment.

Chances are that I know your elder daughter and may have taught her. Hope to catch up when you're next in Vientiane.

@powerar

Might be a long shot but we have a member who is looking for a violin teacher. Do you or anyone know of one ?? The person has a thread on the Vientiane forum. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Know lots of musos, but violin? I'll ask around.

Maybe other teachers for info ??  Thank mate.

I am a Belgian national with many years of work experience in Asia. I am looking for work in the tourism industry in Laos. Where should I start to look?

nfuxydevos wrote:

I am a Belgian national with many years of work experience in Asia. I am looking for work in the tourism industry in Laos. Where should I start to look?

Welcome to EB... :) 

To be honest you would be very hard pressed to find a job in Tourism here in Laos unless it is at a senior level and you have many years of experience.

I have never seem such expat jobs advertised either. Most of this work is done by locals unless it is a senior management position in a large hotel.

Do you have a unique skill that can help you in gaining such a position.

Try these 2 sites www.108job.la  or www.jobstoday.la   

Good luck

Hello!

I'm glad I found you all!

A bit about me: I went to college in Khon Kaen, Thailand in 1992 (since I couldn't get into Laos at the time) and then returned to work in Bangkok several years later for another 10 months. When I returned to Thailand, I was able to visit Laos for several weeks and then returned several times over the following 5 years.

When I proposed to my wife in 2001, I begged her to go to Laos with me to see if she would be interested in getting married there. Fortunately, she fell in love with the place as quickly as I did and she agreed to make Luang Prabang our wedding venue. We had the most amazing traditional Lao wedding at a friend's house and I imagine this will always be the highlight of our lives.

We haven't been back since then but are absolutely dying to return. We both miss the place so much, particularly the people--they really were the best part of the country and I will always feel indebted to them.

Anyway, thanks for having me....

Hello,
I`m planning to go to laos and wondering if any chance to meet local people june to july.
I'm Japanese so I can teach you japanese if you want!

I'm moving to Laos and hopefully soon.  I'm an English teacher from the Philippines.  I've visited Vientianne, Vang Vieng, and Luang Prabang long time ago on my visa runs.  Laos is beautiful to me especially with its pristine natural surroundings and I vowed to return one day. 

I hope to meet friends here.

I'm semi-retired and teaching part-time at two Universities in Thailand. I enjoy being active and last season coached a women's university rugby team to a regional premiership. After many years here, I've decided to relocate from Issan, Thailand to Vientiane Laos. I'll spend the next few months getting things in order here and make the move in January 2016. I'd greatly appreciate anyone who's been settled in Vientiane a few years contacting me. Cheers, Doug.

Hi all,

I am Lao from Savannakhet, I came across this blog and found it's very interesting. I'm not an expat in Laos though, my boyfriend (French) could be one in the near future.
Anyway, nice to meet you all
Ninui

Ninui wrote:

Hi all,

I am Lao from Savannakhet, I came across this blog and found it's very interesting. I'm not an expat in Laos though, my boyfriend (French) could be one in the near future.
Anyway, nice to meet you all
Ninui

Welcome to the forum..... :)

Are you working in Savannakhet and when will your boyfriend be coming to Laos.

Closed