Electric stoves to replace gas stoves

I recently read that the government will begin to phase in the replacement of gas stoves with electric stoves. The reason is the abundance of electricity and the heavily subsidized gas that is currently used.  Does anyone know if this has begun or if this process is a fact.  I am trying to decide if I should buy a gas stove or go straight to electric (which I do not like for cooking). 

Anyone have any facts on this topic? Thanks.

Yes I read that too,,(date mentioned was 2017),   but it was not that we were told to get electric, it was that the gas was not going to be subsidized after that date and that our $2.75 bottle of gas could eventually cost somewhere between 24.00 and 27.00.  This seemed like they were saying we had to have an electric everything, no it just means that gas will be more expensive.   The issue is that Ecuador does not produce a variety of electric stoves, or water heaters at this point and would have to gear up to produce some for the Ecuadorians that would choose to change from gas to electric.    So you could purchase a gas stove for now that is low cost and used.  This is what we did I bought a previously owned gas stove(Mercado Libre) because I too like cooking with gas for 135.00 it came with a year warranty, and is almost new.  I will wait to see what comes of the 2017 date, three years away.. and maybe it will still be worth it to keep the gas,, instead of buying a new stove that is electric.  I plan to watch and see what happens, but meanwhile, it is gas for me!

Thank you for the clarification.  I agree that it is best to buy an inexpensive stove and see what happens, often the deadlines are pushed back and then pushed back again.  I know one thing, an electric stove is about 5 times heavier than a gas stove.

Besides,, by the time they agree on what they are doing, I will have been back to the United States.  I want to buy the Induction cook tops,, maybe two.  That is all we need, and then we get all that extra countertop space as you can just put them away like an appliance.  I think they measure about 12x12 inches,  Woot.  It only heats the place where the metal pan is placed and it is cool any other spot.. so less electricity necessary versus heating the whole element.  That's all I have to say about it.. haha!

Hello,

Last week my husband and I went shopping to Manta, trying to figure out what to buy: Electric or Gas?
The lady in the store, (dont remember the storeŽs name) said the INDURAMA range oven is the one it has a "kit" to make it work with electricity. She said but the oven will be gas forever. There is no way to change it. She said they have been calculating the cost of cooking with electricity vs gas and she said that they have found that will be almost the same, around $17-$20 monthly (of course depending of the use in home)

Besides, in some areas the electricity is not reliable. That is the why we been looking everywhere. We are in Puerto López, there is black outs at any moment. I think mayor cities dont have a bg problem with black outs, but in this small town is something to consider before buying.

We are still researching.

We live in Quito, and as a matter of fact, we lose electricity for a few hours each month.. sometimes during dinner, sometimes in the morning.. it is  a pain, but happens here too.

Why not buy a gas generator for those times when there are power outages.

electric stoves may become available, but I assure you that the locals will never stop using propane....it is their way of life and everyone knows how inefficient electric stoves are...and no true chef (I am one) would ever use anything but gas....

$17-20 a month for gas for cooking?  hard to believe...I cook three meals every day, plus use the same propane gas for my hot water, and I have changed my tank twice in 4 months...hmmm at $1.60/tank refill that comes to less than $1 per month!

The Gov will begin a total switch to power in 2015 and is expected to cover most households by 2017. In 2016, the largest hydroelectric plant, the Coca Codo Sinclair -currently under construction since 2010- is expected to start operating. There are other eight hidroelectric plants more under constructions in different stages of completion, to facilitate the transition (and also to meet full energy demands from national resources). If I was you I would buy an electric one already, but in January 2015 the Gov will start providing incentives to switch the gas cooks.
Find someone to translate this for you and check on www.telegrafo.com.ec/economia/item/coci … etica.html
Good luck!

What the article doesn't say is what happens with the housing that exists today and only has 110 service.  Not an electrician, but I suspect that retrofitting apartments and houses with 220 could become an expensive undertaking.  I wonder how te owners of the places we rent will react to the change from gas to electric.

Hi,

There is another article explaining about it:
http://www.elcomercio.com.ec/negocios/C … 01239.html

As per this article, the consumer will have to realize an additional electrical installation inside the house to connect the new stove, so you will  need to install a cable from the electrical meter (medidor de luz) towards the socket where the  induction stove will be connected (this installation cost around USD 70). The goverment will give a bonus for the cost of housing changes plus a USD 300 bonus to buy the new stove, and the Electrical company will asume the cost of any change that need to be done outside your home.
You will need also to have an eletrical meter that supports a tension of 220v. The old  houses and departments do not have this kind of item, then you will have to request it to the Electrical Company.

Won't you also need a fuse box with 220 breakers?  When we lived in the States we had 220 and had separate fuses for the 220 (dryer, ac and heat).  Running a 220 line directly to the stove seems like a disaster in the making... The fuse box in our house isn't even adequate for the house.

Personally I suspect many landlords will tell renters to do the needed work or pay for the gas.

Mike

But the gov is switching from gas to INDUCTION stoves, not to electric ones as we know them in north america.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cookinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1NM2C9NLg

You can purchase a singular induction  cooking plate on Amazon, and store it away when you don't need it.. or better yet, buy two and put them both away.. they are nice looking and very techie,,, and gain tons of room in your kitchen.

Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop, Black (Jun 5, 2008)

$125.00 $79.04
Order in the next 14 hours and get it by Wednesday, Mar 26.
More Buying Choices

Channel 7 gives you the most accurate reports and news. Today, I saw that the stoves are being made nationally they will come with 2 burners and a set of pots for about $8.00 a month, the 4 burners with a oven will go for $18.00 The stoves are very modern flat surface. I like the idea

Excellent, best if made in Ecuador!

Any idea on final prices? so far the quotes given by the Gov seem to be made on monthly payments only.

Time will well……and at best it is a few years in the making……
As pointed out the problem is that most of the houses are 110 volt….the gov has plans to build the stoves in country and will subsidize part of your electric bill each month…..
As for propane……the country exports natural gas and so supply should not be an issue……the infrastructure is set up to run on gas and so the cost of propane once the gov subsidies are cut hopefully will not be too much.
One issue I have not heard addressed are the dryers……..most run off propane also…..

The issue with gas is that it is imported.  Supply is not necessarily a guarantee if the govt reduces imports in order to push the change to electric or to reduce the outflow of capital. The original subsidy was for cooking.  Each attempt to remove the subsidy has been met with popular resistance. 

The change from 110 to 220 can mean a change in the fuse box, depending on the rating of the actual fusebox in amps (ie, the actual fusebox is rated for a 100 amps and the new electric service is rated at 200 amps) plus the pulling of the correct kind of wire from the box to the stove outlet.  If not done correctly it can cause fire and explosion...as well as backfeed to the electric company's lines and transformers.  This is not a cheap process.  I withhold judgment on the new stoves. 

I don not doubt that the move to "green" electricity is the future, but I think there will be many bumps in the road before this becomes a reality.

There was an article in the Cuenca paper, El Tiempo, this morning on the new meters:
http://www.eltiempo.com.ec/noticias-cue … s-cocinas/

To inform the people correct, propane in Ecuador is the same as propane, it's a by product of refining of crude oil in any oil producing country,,,many many years it was burned off until the advent of propane grills and such,,,also the refinement of natural gas creates propane,,,
So it's not an import to Ecuador,,, more money to the government to export instead of basically giving it away to its own citizens,,,

Ecuador is basically a 110 volt country and the electric distribution infrastructure is not capable of large increases in the use of appliances that required over 200 volts. The energy minister stated recently that there is the danger of system failure if too many people try to use the inadequate electric distribution infrastructure. Even with the large increase in hydro electric power generation, it will be years before the infrastructure is in place to use the additional capacity. In addition, most ecuadorians are very happy cooking with gas and will be reluctant to change.

The comment that propane was burned off is incorrect. Natural gas which exists in virtually all oil fields is often burned off, but propane is a product that must be manufactured from petroleum.

The Gov. says these stoves should be available by Aug. 2014. What has me, is that they said gas tanks will be available at a cost of $ 14.00.... another expat has said they will cost $27.00, in Quito, well we're in Ecuador prices vary. I wouldn't go running to buy the new stoves yet things take time to happen here, another thing wait until the govt. anounces when and where the stoves will be sold. The difference in the prices will be welcomed

Hi everyone,

Interesting discussion.  I came across it because I am a researcher in the UK conducting a study on water heating in Ecuador.  It sounds like the country really does use gas water heaters more than any other type, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to assist my study by taking a short survey on water heating in the country?  It is very short, only 5 questions, and should only take you 1-2 minutes.  I would really appreciate your insight.  And, as you can imagine, trying to find an English-speaking plumber in Ecuador to answer my questions isn't very easy.  I'd be very grateful for any help you can provide!

Thanks all. You may access the survey here: surveymonkey.com/s/9DJKZDP

"Thanks all. You may access the survey here: surveymonkey.com/s/9DJKZDP "

After y'all are done over at surveymonkey, you may want to visit our new thread "Avoid a Water Heater Disaster:  Encounter with a Calefon"...

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

"Thanks all. You may access the survey here: surveymonkey.com/s/9DJKZDP "

After y'all are done over at surveymonkey, you may want to visit our new thread "Avoid a Water Heater Disaster:  Encounter with a Calefon"...

cccmedia in Quito

Searched the web for that and can't find it. Have you got a link to share with us?

MikeGB wrote:
cccmedia wrote:

cccmedia in Quito

Searched the web for that and can't find it. Have you got a link to share with us?

Sure, Mike, it's a thread right here at expat.com ...

Just type the first part of the thread name into the "Search Expat.com" box at the extreme top of this page and you'll be able to navigate on over there directly.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks so much to those of you who took the time to help me out, I really appreciate your responses! Sounds like gas instantaneous/tankless water heaters really are the substantial winner here.  Thanks for your advice!

Hello Anna,

What is the percentage of Euro style "hot water on demand" and a small series of coil tubing rather than a 30-40 gallion tank of hot water on call 24/7/365. If they truly want to be ECO friendly every little thing helps. I have used them and they save 70-80% on gas. My wife's aunt only turned her hot water heater with tank twice a day for 2-2½ hours total.

Regards ... Don Chema
aka Tom

Keltic Tom wrote:

What is the percentage of Euro style "hot water on demand" and a small series of coil tubing rather than a 30-40 gallion tank of hot water on call 24/7/365.

Hi Don, I can only speculate as my research is incomplete and dependent on what other people have told me, but it seems that electric storage tanks seem to be used by somewhere between 5-25% of the population. Does that help?

Buy a gas stove.  Correa is now pushing electric convection stoves that require special pots.  The subsidy on gas may go away but even if it does and you pay $40 per tank, we use one tank in 8 months.  Electric stoves suck even if the electricity were free.

Propane (/ˈproʊpeɪn/) is a three-carbon alkane with the molecular formula C3H8, normally a gas, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel for engines, oxy-gas torches, portable stoves, and residential central heating. As stated Before the advent of propane burning grills stoves etc it was burned off ad a waste gas...at one time before the invention of the auto petro...gasoline was a waste byproduct of the manufacturing of kerosene for lamps
do your own research

TNVOL1999 wrote:

To inform the people correct, propane in Ecuador is the same as propane, it's a by product of refining of crude oil in any oil producing country,,,many many years it was burned off until the advent of propane grills and such,,,also the refinement of natural gas creates propane,,,
So it's not an import to Ecuador,,, more money to the government to export instead of basically giving it away to its own citizens,,,

Are you sure you are correct that "it's not an import to Ecuador"?

My understanding is that Ecuador has no refineries currently. That means they have to import propane.

I have also heard that part of the deal Correa made with China includes the construction of two refineries. But I don't believe either of them are in production yet.

quito0819 wrote:

Won't you also need a fuse box with 220 breakers?  When we lived in the States we had 220 and had separate fuses for the 220 (dryer, ac and heat).  Running a 220 line directly to the stove seems like a disaster in the making... The fuse box in our house isn't even adequate for the house.

Personally I suspect many landlords will tell renters to do the needed work or pay for the gas.

Mike

220V is not needed with induction cook tops. But, it might be necessary where there is an oven involved. Unless the oven uses gas.

Are you sure about that?  The govt seems to be putting a lot of money in bringing 220 to homes?

MikeGB wrote:
TNVOL1999 wrote:

Are you sure you are correct that "it's not an import to Ecuador"?

My understanding is that Ecuador has no refineries currently. That means they have to import propane.

I have also heard that part of the deal Correa made with China includes the construction of two refineries. But I don't believe either of them are in production yet.

Yes when were were in Manta two years ago there was constant chatter about the Chinese financed refinery that was imminently to be constructed just down the way.

I haven't heard any more about it nor have I found much info in the news. I've also posed questions about this refinery in several threads here and no one has ever responded with any follow up information. Just nothing.

Anybody know anything about the status of this alleged refinery?

quito0819 wrote:

Are you sure about that?  The govt seems to be putting a lot of money in bringing 220 to homes?

You are right. Most of them look like the use 220V.