Mechanic in Malta

Hello, I'm new to this forum having moved to Malta around 9 months ago!

As always settling in to a new country has been challenging at times but so far we've managed to work everything out ourselves. However, we're now faced with a broken car and I don't really know where to turn for help.

It's an old (18 years) Peugeot 106 Diesel which we bought for 1000 EUR around 4 months back because I was sick of paying hire car fee's. Last week whilst driving it suddenly cut out and we had to get it on a recovery truck back to our house in Marsascala. The battery is fine and the starter motor works turns over, but it just won't start (fuel pump maybe?). Also, around a week prior, the brakes stopped working properly (I think maybe a brake servo pipe problem) and so it cannot be towed safely.

So my question is are there any freelance/hobby mechanics out there who would potentially come and take a look, and then consider fixing it for cash-in-hand provided it's a simple enough fix? What I am worried about it taking it to a garage and being told that it needs hundreds of Euros worth of repairs. Quite frankly if it's going to cost more than a couple of hundred Euros to fix then I would rather scrap it and revert to long term hire! I cannot afford to run a car which is going to continuously fail on me.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Are you that broke.... just go to the nearest Garage to you and explain what happened, he will come to you and let you know, and if you are not happy, try another garage.. Cars as old as what you have and purchased as cheap as what you had, won't last forever, lucky in Malta anything can be fixed, my cousin lives close to you.

Hi.. I don't know if this will help or not but we have a Peugeot estate around the same age. And I know 2 other people who have this car.. We have come to realize if we do not have more than a quarter of a tank of fuel it cuts out Continuously! Now we always have half a tank of fuel.. It never cuts out! Not sure if its the same problem or not. But thought I would say just incase 😊

there are some good cheap mechanics about its worth having a local guy have a look and suss out whats wrong.

Scubaboy do you know of any in the area as thats your area - well close..

We tried our local garage, they said that they couldn't come to look at the car. The only way is to get a tow truck and bring it to them! Not very helpful. Any other ideas?

The tow truck wont cost you much, what's the issue.

You need to decide how much you are willing to spend to repair the car!.

Some of that money will be spent getting the car to a mechanic to find out what the problem is and may not result in the car being fixed.

The alternative is to sell the car as a non runner and accept a very small return on your original purchase price.

Terry

Maltese by Birth - having already spent 40 EUR on a pick-up truck when it initially broke down, I don't particularly fancy having to spend another 30 EUR to take it 1km to my local garage for them to then tell me it's going to cost an arm and a leg to repair. I'm sorry but answers like "Are you that broke" and "The tow truck wont cost you much, what's the issue." aren't very helpful. The state of my finances is my business but if you must know then yes, money is a little bit tight at the moment.

tearnet - Thank you, I agree that this is looking the likely option. I was hoping that I'd be able get the contact details of someone reliable to take a look and tell me if it's going to be a very costly repair or not, without spending more money to get it to a garage and then be stuck with whatever they're going to charge. Of course if someone can tell me it's a quick/cheap fix, then I'd happily pay for a tow truck to their garage for them to sort it out. If they tell me it's a costly repair, then I'll scrap it before it costs me more money.

Does anyone know if there is an official procedure to declare a vehicle "off road" for road license/tax purposes, similar to the UK? The license is due to be paid by the end of November, it's a lot of money to spend if I'm going to end up scrapping the car within the next few weeks!

This link will give you info regarding garaging the vehicle.... http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … -exporting

The problem with diagnosis in modern cars is that you really need to take it to  a main  agent  with proper diagnostic equipment, you may pay more in labour charges but the diagnosis will be accurate rather than  a "guestimate"

Terry

Ah, Maltese by Birth, great advice - from Australia.  :whistle:

I keep forgetting how easy it is to rip the foreigner off, there is always the local price and the other price/

So advice from Cyprus or UK is OK, but from a Maltese person now residing in Australia my advice is no good?
There appears to be a deep down resentment within this group by certain persons to people of Maltese origin now living in Australia?

Here we go again, always changing the topic and downgrading advice from Australia, bottom line is fixing a car in Malta is way cheaper than UK and 30 or so Euros on a tow truck is not expensive, after all a car brought as cheaply as it was, was never going to last for very long..........

Maltabybirth, To clarify. I would say that relevant and up to date advice is always welcome from those who have lived here no matter where they are now. For your info, Toon only left months ago, he lived here for a long time, he maintains contacts here and his advice is always welcome given his vast experience and knowledge. You also forget (or choose to ignore)  that what is cheap for one person may be expensive for another, we cannot know their financial situation, so best not to make judgements there eh? I also do not see anyone from UK giving advice here, on this subject but if you are referring to the person I think you are, he is married and has been to a Maltese woman for a long time and they share time between UK and Malta. I believe that makes him more than qualified to offer advice.

As you say, you forgot that things can be different here for some and maybe that's because you are in Australia, which was my point.

Oh and by the way and this may surprise you, I totally agree your previous comments about people who come here and try to change things to the way they would want things to be rather than learn and integrate. G'day  :)

Maltese by Birth - i may not be living in Malta now but only left 4months ago and would suggest to you my knowledge is stil relevant especially as a foriegner trying to live there not as a Malti or as a Malti expat

believe me the experience is very different.

Toon wrote:

Maltese by Birth - i may not be living in Malta now but only left 4months ago and would suggest to you my knowledge is stil relevant especially as a foriegner trying to live there not as a Malti or as a Malti expat

believe me the experience is very different.

Plus you are a Newcastle supporter and are used to hard times!!

Even so its no reason to pick on you!   :nothappy:

not any more - 5th spot will do me.

Not sure if you ever got an answer that was practical --- I am an American living in Malta, and have an older car as well. I adore my mechanic. He's careful, fixes what's needed for a very fair price, and lets me know if there are more expensive repairs on the horizon. I trust him completely.

Charlie Auto Mechanic, 42, Triq Luqa Briffa, Gzira GZR 1500. 2133-9710. Five stars.