Move to Belfast

Hello all. My name is Jon. I'm an American currently living in Dalian, China. We are looking to move to Belfast sometime in the late spring and I'm trying to get an idea of how things are before we arrive. Generally speaking, tell me anything and everything. Good and bad:) specifically I have a 3 and 5 year old who will be going to school in the fall and would like to know what the options are there. My son is currently enrolled at an international school. Should we stick with that? Will they be ok in public schools? And also where is the best/safest area to live in or outside the city? I know that it is nowhere near as unsafe as it used to be but I also know that there's some rioting that occurs still. Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jon

I would investigate the Bangor/Holywood area for a place to live. There's an easy commuter train into Belfast proper, and there are great walking paths along the shore of Belfast Lough.My husband works in the city centre, and his commute by car is about 20/25 minutes.

Bangor is a bit run down, but there are two very good 'fine dining' restaurants here, as well as a range of other restaurants. Holywood's a little more upscale, but only relatively. Many of the shops on the high streets of both places are charity shops. However, it's an easy run into Belfast for a wider range of entertainment and shopping.

These are middle-class communities away from most of the troubled areas,  though a few neighbourhoods still display sectarian banners and murals, but nothing like the inner city. They are 'mixed' but lean Unionist/Protestant.

I'm told that schools are integrated only imperfectly; that students are segregated in classrooms by religion. But I don't know if it's true, and, if it is, it may be occur in Belfast rather than the North Down area where Bangor and Holywood are located. You may want to inquire in schools.

There's still a lot of sectarian rubbish talked of by some in and around Belfast -- politicians and hotheads -- but most seem to want to move on with their lives. Pretty soon, you learn to put it on 'ignore'. Most people you meet are friendly enough.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to standards of style and a kind of haphazard way of doing things after a move from Salzburg. That obviously varies depending on where you're coming from.

Hi Jon,

Hope you've made some headway since your post. Belfast in terms of sectarian violence isn't as bad as it's made out to be in the media, although protests and incidents do occur. The majority of the population would like some peace, and there are areas to stay away from.

Like Lorraine suggested,Holywood is lovely. It is pricey though, and I find Bangor quite grim. The Carryduff area south of Belfast is probably the most popular and affordable location for people who would like to be near, but not in, the city. It's about 20min away from the city centre by car. Alternatively you can consider Lisburn - it's another (small) city but commuting distance from Belfast.

There're plenty of places in the city centre as well that are suitable for families. If you haven't already done so, when looking for property, try to avoid east and west Belfast, and also go onto Google Maps street view to have a "look" around the vicinity of the property you're considering. If you see flags of any sort - Union Jack, tricolour, anything - or painted pavement stones/lamp posts, that's an area with specific political/religious views and you might want to stay away from it too.

I'm not familiar with Dalian, but it's almost for certain that Belfast is a lot smaller and will be a lot quieter. Shops usually close at 5.30pm, or 6.30pm at the latest on a regular day; Thursdays are late night shopping days and shops stay open till 9 or 9.30pm; Sunday trading hours are 1-6pm.

Hey Jon,

Good luck with the move man. I currently live in Lisburn which is a little town (they call it a city but it's tiny) outside Belfast, it is pretty cool with a lovely park for the kids.
I am GM of the Baseball & Softball Club belfastbaseball.co.uk we have some expats that play, we also have an Academy, academybaseballireland.com for kids. Just a little bit of home,

Regards,

Jon