Current Crime Picture on the North Coast

Hi guys, new member here.

I've been to the North Coast 7 or 8 times, usually for a week at a time.  I've never seen one bar fight, mugging or any crime.....and I do go out at night.

I'm considering moving there when I retire in 5 years. 

What is the real scoop on Crime?  Is Sosua really that dangerous, I've been to Sousa 4-5 times and never had or saw an issue.  But you can find web story after web story saying the murder rate against Gringos is really high.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

JDM222

Yes I hear the same garbage and have been here full time for nearly 9 years now in the Sosua/Cabarete area and go to Sosua for dinner at least 3 nights a week.

Yes some crimes are up and being addressed.  Such as home burglaries (in none secure areas for the most part), pocketbook snatchings and such. But most major crime (murder and assaults) occur if you have done someone wrong, cheated on a woman, got caught in a love triangle, drugs, set yourself up for revenge.  Those of us that go about our business don't seem to have much of a problem

Bob K

Thanks Bob, that's kinda what I was thinking, just keep your nose clean and be careful and smart.   I lived in St. Croix for 5 years and I saw alot more trouble in St. Croix than I have on the North Coast.  What are your top few places to have dinner?  I ate at a great German place, kinda out of Sosua one time and it was great.

Welcome JDM. I also spend a lot of time in Sosua and Cabarete, about 2-3 months out of the year. Bob is correct, if you mind your own bussiness and keep a low profile, you should be fine. Police corruption does exist on a high level and you might want to choose your female company carefully if you know what I mean. We have had 2 members on here who have been robbed while on vacation there, one was stabbed and most recently one had a broken arm. I don't think any of these 2 guys did anything to atract the incidents, but it is best to avoid certain high crime areas and remember that in areas where there is prostitution and other illicit dealings, you will find a bevy of unsavory characters that make up part of the scene. Just keeping it real with you. Be safe :cool:

Thanks Massagewiz.  I may need to throw a little party for the Police Captain.  Somebody I met who moved there about 10 years ago, did this at his Apartments pool area, spent like $500 and he told me that it was the best investment he ever made...lol.   And I will indeed carry a knife and heavy duty mace b/c I'm assuming getting a license to carry a gun, like I did in St. Croix would be impossible?  I'm an ole Texas boy, and I don't wear any jewelry at all, and know how to carry myself.  I've been to Sousa 8-9 times, never an incident, and I walked alone at night(which I won't do anymore).

I will give you my perspective as a female - pretty much the same. 11 years and no real issues. However when you go out at night you have to be very very aware of where you are. I have seen my share of fights etc but almost all in bars or dance clubs. You learn really quickly where not to go!!!! 

Always keep  your whits about you.  Those who hang with trouble will be found by trouble.  Keep your eyes and ears open and pay attention to your gut feeling, its keep me out of harms way.  walk with purpose,  dont flash jewelery or MONEY - I watch men flip through wads of money every damn day!!! Are they NUTS???

And this is directed at no one.  It is meant to be informative. 

Another issue - as Christmas approaches there is a lot more money on the streets - 13th paycheck in December. AND there are a lot of desperate people on the north coast with no jobs.  It is a time to be extra careful. But also a time with lots of drinking -  be careful.

Yes be careful. I was warned about jewelry and got my 5000 dollars gold chain stolen from the back of my neck in broad daylight in San Pedro. I thought Noone could see it.. He ran onto a waiting scooter.  Got a name but police did nothing.  It's very corrupt. Some help thieves

Sounds like someone knew about the chain and maybe set you up!

Yep very common  to have chains ripped off. It happened to me my first visit, though not a 5K chain, in Sosua and my wife had a small necklace ripped off in the colonial zone in Santo Domingo 3 years ago.

Only jewelry we now wear is our simple wedding bands.

Bob K

IAna pot .sure the family I hang out with would do all that setup but they sure spent a lot of days off to  trying to find t criminal we actually got a name and address of Burglar . the police do not do anything. They always say when they get the paper work they will get the guy. Now the paper work came in and they say when you or anyone see the guy call them then so they don't waste their time. a lady gave us /police his name because her son was held for questioning

I apologize for some of my verbal texting but I also wanted to mention the extent we spent trying to get information from the police and they were all very laid back and seems like they hang out at the police station all day and possibly go for a ride or two a day but that's it I also see. There are more murders I was looking at property in Boca Chica and her. A couple got murdered on the beach last week while I was there visiting one day at the beach another person said somebody just got robbed is crime on the rise Mabley also because the police don't do much I heard they are the worst criminals with these and possibly working with the thievesI want to buy a house next or close to the ocean because I love the water and some of the people but the crime and danger is something to think about

just to be clear I wasn't suggesting the family. It can be someone's friend, neighbor, a taxi, motoconcho driver, packer at the grocery store.....leave the expensive stuff locked up!

Crime - protect yourself, stay under the radar and always be careful of who you associate with.

Cops don't get paid very much, so I guess there is not much motivation to do any work at all, it is a miracle the country has not descended into a higher crime level given the police lack of interest in controlling crime.  Planner gave you the best advice.......fly under the radar and watch your association.

And I might add the "hands are out" big time now with Xmas around the corner

Bob K

I do not go to bars and nightclubs so I do not know anything about that. we live in a compound with 10 ft walls solid steel doors, razor ribbon, sharpened steel spikes, barb wire, cameras, sensors and a crazy wife with a machete and loco perro in Puerto Plata. we have no problem at all. watch for little things out of place in front of casa, things out of place or different, sometimes they are marks to hit your casa.

theft will be your most likely thing you will encounter, they even steal women's hair at times. We only talk to people we know and do not try to make friends. You will meet good ones in time.You are right, it was more dangerous in St Croix, I worked at Hess.

pistols you have to pay annual fee to keep ,that way they can track them. shotguns not a big problem

thank you for replying and clearing your last statement I appreciate it very much yes you're right we just have to be careful

maybe you have been to or know of one of the restaurants I've had there....... "Salt River Tavern"..... "The Pitts at the Wreck Bar"......or the last one.."No Bones Cafe".....I've never been in jail.  what is it like living in one?

Wow Texas Donkey if someone read me your description with my eyes closed, I would think you were describing a prison......I'm a big security buff myself, but I guess everyone does what is necessary to feel safe, so I will not knock your setup, but man it sure sounds like you are living in a compound trying to keep out the walking dead, If that area feels that unsafe, why not move to an area with more expats? At least you will have more of a sense of community and watch each others back.  What is the point of living in Paradise if you can't enjoy it?

Massagewiz you are correct. I would not want to live that way ANYWHERE!  I feel sorry for the donkey to live that kind of existence. Thankfully not many of us here live that way.

It does sound more like Sing-Sing to me.

Bob K

well inside the home is modern and beautiful we even have a swimming pool,  the outside is what looks like a jail.  its a shame but Ladrones are everywhere and we have to build walls to keep them out. Its not bad. I married a Dominican woman and she owned the property we built on. I like the area we live in. Family ties for generations.

@ gypsy
not sure this was for me but
I only drank at two places in Christiansted. the time I was there.  a place called the News and  a Cruzan bar down by the police station . I was a regular at both.

spent 20 years in St Croix. sold N.B. in 2002---- moved to Sosua.  had many friends who worked at Hess.  Leons' son used to buy 25 gallons of carribbean chowder for the excutve dining room. has cajun-creole food on my menu. what years were you there?.,.,,

I was there in 1992 and 1993. I was working for Litwin Engineering I came after Hugo hit to help fix. wow that is a long time to spend there. I did not really like it there that much. of course it probably was better before Hugo hit. I lived at the Best Western for 6 months with plywood over the windows hahahaha. They are reopening the refinery and I want to work there but my wife says nada she does not like it there. She is Dominican 100%

I was there for Hugo.  4 months no power, over 90% of buildings uninhabitable, looting, robberies etc.   the north shore of the D.R.  has not had a direct hit by a hurricane since 1967.  brushed by them, but nothing really severe.  earthquakes , yes, but no storms. Hugo brought major changes to the island,  serious drugs, crime & carpetbagging a... holes ripping the locals off.  you saw the bad,  not the good.

Wow I would not want to live in that prison!!!  I live with bars on my windows,   locks on my doors, I use my common sense,  associate with good people,  keep my eyes open and  I am smart.

11 years for a petite woman and no problems!   YOU DO NOT NEED TO LIVE IN A PRISON

I have lived here for years, I know the people. like I said it is nice in side. just the outdoor walls are like a prison. Most expats would not dare come down our street at night. We take care of our own here. All the neighbors are family. We need this to keep the Haitians out. it is not a prison, but then again WE are not stupid.  If you lived here you would have the same thing. The people in this hood are all good. we take care of the thieves and leave whats left for the cops to clean up. We take care the Dominican way We are street smart so yes you need to be smart and keep your eyes open. We do the same. You live in a very nice neighborhood I am sure. Most people do. I live with Dominicans

I have almost always lived in Dominican neighborhoods!  Same as you.