Americans in Toulon?

I am considering moving out of the country to France but would like to get some feedback from Americans in France. How are things different, culture, people, just life in general. Is it worth it to move to France or am I better off staying in the States? I am very enthusiastic about French culture and the way of life in France. However; I would like to have contact with Americans living in France and get a different perspective of things. I have also considered finishing out my studies in Aix en Provence.

Hello,

you should get in touch with Julia :

https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php?id=931807

I've found her profile in the newtork section https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe/france/toulon/

All the best,

Julien

Merci Julien!

I actually wrote to her a couple of days ago and no news. I would be very greatful to talk with her. I am an English major in the states as well!
Thank you again!!

Take care
Britta

Hi ,

Just joined this site and saw your entry .I can share with you that I was in Toulon last Autumn , and found it very lovely .Warm , Mediterranean weather , very clean and lovely people .France , I have found to be getting better and better even year by year , and it must be my favourite place .They work very hard , are very kind and helpful , are stylish and sassy .

Why not have a look at life outside the States  ? Won't take long before you speak French  ! And as you're so young you  should definitely take the opportunity to travel . It is very excellent to broaden the mind so  !

I myself am considering a move to Toulon .

Best Wishes and Good Luck .

Feel free to contact me to discuss anything ,

Shaktipat .

hi
i just saw your post, and i left one myself.
at the end, did your plan work out? are you currently in toulon?
we are not american but french family who have been living in NY for 5 years.
we are relocating to toulon this summer, so maybe we could interact?

Hello!

I have not made It to France yet. I will visit in September for a definite decision. My boyfriend lives in France now and he is French.  He was born in Toulon. I would love to interact with others in this area. Its hard being away from each other. We have decided after a year and a half we need to make a permanent thing. Where in new york so you live?

we are in Wetchester, 30mn north from the city, for few more weeks. We will be back in toulon mid august. I'm kind of sad to leave the US.

I am 31 years old. I love your country.  I lived outside Albany New york and grew up there as a child. I now live in Georgia. I have lived in Tennessee and Florida and Pennsylvania and born in Ohio. Why are you sad? Where in France are you originally from?

Hi! I am an American woman currently living in Toulon with my French boyfriend. Here is my story:
We met about two years ago. At that time, I had already spent 3 years in France. For us, things moved fairly quickly, he was very romantic and idealistic right from the start. A few months later he told me i was the woman of his dreams and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. I had strong feelings for him as well, and although I needed to return to the US, we decided to continue our relationship.
When I saw my family in the US, I hadn't realized how much i'd missed them!! I had missed the culture as well; a home I had nearly forgotten. I had really missed Mexican food too, and ate it on every occasion. My boyfriend and I still talked almost daily (which was not always easy with the 8-9 hr time difference!) I found a job, sold my house I'd been renting out, sold my truck, ate my last plate of chile rellanos and said goodbye to my family and friends, ready for my new life in France.
I have now been here for 3 months and for the moment, things are great. My boyfriend and I love each other very much, he is still very chivalrous and considerate. He has a steady, secure job. We are both very frugal and there are no debts between us except his mortgage. His family is very kind and welcoming. Life as it is presently is good, simple....

(continued) .... However, I have started to reconsider our future together. The main issues have to do with the fact that we would both like children someday. I am seeing things that bother me now and that have the potential to become major issues later. For example, I was raised by a Mother who decided to stay at home to raise the children while my Father worked. I discussed this briefly with my boyfriend before coming here and assumed i would be able to do the same thing. Not so much, apparently. Situations like that are far less common here, usually babies/children are left with a nounou (daycare) while the mother works. I have the impression that stay-at-home-moms are considered kind of lazy by not contributing to the family's financial well-being. I am now realizing the reasons for this type of lifestyle as the taxes and cost of living are higher here. Although it's sometimes necessary for both parents to work, I can't say it's a situation I would go into intentionally. I think it's important for a child to be raised by their family, especially in the early stages. Not my boyfriend nor his family seem to fully understand my feelings on this subject.
Another thing: once we had children, our family here would be my new priority. Thousands of euros that could otherwise be spent on airline tickets between France and the US would be spent on education, clothing, housing ect. for our family here. I would have to bypass many important events in the US, including funerals.

(part 3 of 3) : Even if I had a job where I could pay for tickets on my own instead of dipping into my husband's income, it would be difficult to find the time to leave. I would most likely travel alone, which means leaving him and our children here for weeks at a time.
Basically I am afraid that I will never feel completely at home here, that I will always have a longing to return to my family, my culture, my country. If I start a family here I will forfeit the choice to return.

i'd expected to live an American lifestyle in France. That isn't how it works; when you move to a foreign country, a part of you evolves with the new culture. In a way it kind of changes your identity. Hope this helps, wishing the best for you in the future :)

Hi there...I would love to contact you further on your experiences. I am 31 and my boyfriend is 44. I am having some issues with him now after my pass visit. Please contact me. Maybe in personal mail?

Hi There ,

I was interested to read about your feelings about being in such a relationship  with a French fellow in Toulon . I'm not sure if you said you were actiually married yet .

I have a suggestion to make ...........there is an event in Toulon , coming up very soon , and it might take you out of your ' mind ' a bit so's you can see things a bit clearer . It's a three day  unusual Event ,a Programme with a great Saint from India called Amritatnandamayi  or ' Ammachi' as she is affectionately known . I expect you believe in God , like most Americans , but Amma is supposed to be very very close to the God .......in fact ,  she is Self - Realised ' , in unbroken ,constant communion with God , it is said .

I myself will be visiting for the three days , as I did last year ..........I presently live in London , but I have been considering relocating , and did   consider  Toulon , though I'm not sure how I'd  make money down there .

Why not give Amma a go  !  When you go and see her , say a prayer and she might help you  !  In abny case it's a real fum Peogramme with great music , talks , very super [ vege] food , medirtation , and a really mixwed bag of good folks , young and old from all walks of life n  but mainly quite smart .

The dates are  3 , 4 , 5 , November  , and it's at  the Big Exhibiytion Centre behind the station .

Please excuse my mistakes as my backspacer key won't respond .

All Good Wishes

Sarathi Anuyayi .

Hi There ,

I only just saw your post   about relocating on Toulon .I'm not sure if you were responding to my post ...........but anyway , if so , I am still in London , but will be in Toulon shortly  on 3.4.5. of November  for a Yoga Programme . Maybe you'd like to come  ?   

It's the Amma Programme I mentioned to someone else on tjhis site . Maybe we could all meet up there ,  and compare notes   ?

A Bientot ,

Shaktipat . [ Sarathi ]

Hello, thank you for your suggestion. unfortunately i was unable to attend the festival.... did you end up going? If so, hope you enjoyed it.
Take care :)

Hi Sarathi,
are you  Indian . ...I am an's just  have moved  to la  seyne  sur  mer   this year  from  bangalore . ..so would  really  like  to  meet  up  with  some  people 
thanks 
looking  forward  to  seeing  you 
shalika

hello shalika, i hav moved from delhi to toulon. I get to meet good englisg speaking friends here. I love the people here. Where are you living.