Best way to get items shipped to DR

I need a small package to be shipped from Canada (Toronto) to San Francisco de Macoris. What shipping/courier companies do you recommend? A fair-priced company  would be awesome, and I do not mind going to that company to pick up the package when it arrives from Canada.

there are various mail & package companies available.  ask around in your area to find one.  the one I used in Sosua had a fee of $35 a year. you paid normal mail rates plus a couple of bucks on top for a packadge. envelopes were less.  most of them are drop ship. you pick it up when they call you. I believe that they have multiple offices around the D.R.    pm me & I'll send the name. I don't have it in front of me now.

We use Encargo Pac which has offices all over the country as well.

Bob K

Bob,  you are privy to mucho info. will be brining a container. I know that motorcycles & cars are heavily taxed.. are electric assisted bicycles also taxed the same way?  sold my scooter & bought an e-bike. will be buying a moto when I arrive. will use the bike for short runs around town.  does anyone know?  thanks for any help provided.

Are you bringing the container after residencia or before? Makes  a HUGE difference.

Yes when will you or did you get your residency?

Bob K

will be in family container ( wife is dominican naional)  my stuff will be on her manifest.  only concern is the bike.

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. You might contact the shipping company and ask them.

Bob K

I will ask a customs broker.  Explain to me more about the bike - what is it, age, value?

i just finished putting it together,  it's new, cost. with shipping $760.00.  battery operated, 15 mph, 20 mile range.  it won't be new by the time it is shipped.   no registration or tag or insurance needed here in Fl  you can peddle it, or use just the electric motor or a combination of both.   6 & 1/2 hours to assemble it, sort of like an Ikea project.   it is very well made, heavy duty.    you   can find it on the net---- Currie manufacturing Co.  /-  Z-Bike.  took first ride on it & am very impressed.   no where near my V-Star, but adequate for getting around town & lite shopping.   if it is too expensive to bring in, will sell it & get a real bike when I get there.  thanks for your help.

I will ask our guy.....

Question:  How would you experts plan to move "the basics", no car/no furniture, just clothes/office equipment/golf clubs/misc stuff/lean and mean?  When I move there, I will just overstay my VISA if that is still the law, come back to US 1-2 times per year and live in a 1 BR Apartment.  No plans to get residence or work card.  Of course I will plan on going very lean on clothes and everything, keep it simple.  What is the maximum you can FLY in with?  Could I ship in 3-4 large boxes of stuff after I fly in?

Well it will depend on the airline - pay for an extra suitcase or two and you can bring up to 50 pounds in each one. Probably the cheapest way to get it here. Can you ship in boxes - sure - but  you might get caught paying tax or duty! 

Be warned the days of overstaying your tourist visa are getting more and more expensive - the fees just went up.  Also we know eventually the gov't will crack down on those just coming to live. At some point you will need residencia.

Bring it in suitcases with you. You still may get caught at the airport with electronics and have to pay a tax.  If you have enough points or can afford to upgrade to business/first class then with some airlines, like American, you are allowed three checked bags up to 70 pounds each. That is a lot of stuff

Planner is right it is getting more expensive to pay the overstay fee and soon you will need the residencia if you are staying for long periods of time

Bob K

Thanks Darlene and Bob!   

That sounds like I can bring in what I need, in heavy/well packed suitcases on the airplane the first trip I make.  I saw the recent VISA overstay fees and they still seemed cheap to me?..... and we all know about how the DR government says it's going to do something and it happens in 10 or 20 years, or never:)  But I hear you about probably needing to get a residencia.  I will have to read up on that process and when I need to do it, and where.

This cool weather, it's down to 45 here tonight in Tampa, sure feels like Winter to me.  It will be some good fishing weather today, so I will go down to LIDO Beach in Sarasota and see if I can catch some Sheephead.  Bob, do you fish there?  Gypsy?

Yes I do but lately I have had problem with the rocking of the boat.

Last time out some nice size Dorada (mahi-mani), snook and a few red snappers.

Bob K

good north shore off shore fishing.  bass in local ponds, plus bream, sunnies etc.  if farm ponds, ask permisson,offer to share the catch.   No Bones Cafe?????  in Gallows Bay?

before you go out, a shot of apple cider vinegar.  if it doesn't work it is still good for you.

That makes me queasy just thinking about drinking that :D

Generally I will do ok but with swells I tend to provide some extra chum

BObK

I hear you Bob, I'm not one to go out past a mile, and that needs to be in pretty calm weather.  I can do just fine from the beach or a pier if it is windy that day:)

ok, not a shot, but a swig. it sure is good for you.  cures acid reflux too!!  no joke, look it up.

A bit off topic but apple cider vinegar, honey and cinnamon is great for lowering cholesterol

for the past 7 years every morning a paste of cinnamon & natural honey on toast. also lemon-garlic shot. pm me for the details.

Hello:

Last year, I got boxes shipped to Bavaro from Ottawa.  I used Peralta Brothers.  They were outstanding and took about 2 weeks. I had 4 large barrels and 3 boxes and they shipped door-to-door literally for 500$. We could not believe it and that includes customs.  They will guide you through the process. They specialize in shipping to the DR only.  Their website is www.peraltabroshipping.ca.  It is a very small family company but very good and knowledgeable.

I strongly recommend them.  Good luck

Canadianowne thanks for that contact. Once to keep on file. 

Bob K

I agree - thanks for the info!

I don't have a recommendation for a specific company, however, there are services that have a Miami operation that forwards to the Dominican Republic. The items then go to the DR via air. I am in the US and packages are sent to Miami and then flown to Santo Domingo and then bused to Jarabacoa where they are picked up. The cost from Miami to the DR destination is from 150 to 200 pesos per pound. If I order something, I have it shipped directly to Miami and not to my address. It then gets shipped on. The person receiving the package needs to have an account (no cost) and produce an ID in order to get the package. I hope that is helps some.

George Fryer

GeoFryer that is what we referred to earlier.  Thanks for adding to the discussion!

Remember only escape taxes if value is less than $200

Bob K

Bob K:

We have spoke before --- well you and my husband Les. When you say value under $200 to escape taxes, are you talking about what we are doing? Moving to Sosua and having our furniture shipped? Or are you talking about what the other gentleman was asking about?

Thanks

Karen

The other gentleman

Bob K

howdo I get in touch with that company?  thanks, can pm me if need be.

They are on the main road in the small shopping center (with Fresh-Fresh) next to the CMC hospital.

The name is ENCARGO PAQ

Bob K

thanks,  anything closer to or in Cabrera?

I am not sure.  You might ask them.  I know for a small fee they will deliver packages.

Bob K

I get barrels for 150.00 door to door from usa up to 500 pounds  and for large loads I ship with a Haitian company. they bring to DR