Moving to Bangkok with children

Hi everyone,

My husband and I along with our young children are moving to teach in an International School in Bangkok.

I have gathered a lot of extremely useful information from this forum and others. However, I would like to know if there are hairdressers in Bangkok that specializes or does African/Caribbean type natural hair.

I would love to meet some good friends there including families with children so their transition is smooth.

Thank you.
Nads

Hello Nads.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Thanks.

I would think there are in the African area of Sukhumvit on Soi 3.

OK. Thank you very much.

Interestingly, I have been told to avoid that area.

nads1 wrote:

Interestingly, I have been told to avoid that area.

That's the area where Africans are located. If you want African/Caribbean type natural hair that's probably the best place to go.

As far as avoiding the area, don't believe everything you hear. There are some good restaurants in the area. It's a small, isolated area and the Africans and Middle Easterners tend to keep to themselves.

Thank you. I will be mindful of that. I appreciate your time.

Hi Nads,

I am interested in your feedback if you try a hair dresser specialized in African/Caribbean type natural hair. I will move to bangkok next week and it can be a usefull information for me.

Thank you

AF

Hi AF,

You will be there before me, I am going there in July. So, if you find one, please tell me.

ok, no prob, I will be the first to try then

nads1 wrote:

Hi AF,

You will be there before me, I am going there in July. So, if you find one, please tell me.

Hi Nads,

I've just been reading through your post recent posts and would like to know if you found a suitable place in Bangkok that caters for women with afro-caribbean/African-American hair? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Yes, I have found two really good ones. One is doing my hair as I type.  If I have your email, I can send you her details.

Best wishes in your travels here.

Nads

That would be great! It's taken me a while to find any solid lead.
My email is: [email protected]

If your lady is available asap that would be awesome :)

Much appreciated,
Nicole

I just emailed you her details.

You will really love her service.

Hi nads,

I am currently living in bangkok and am looking for someone to wash, condition my natural African-American hair. Please let me know if you can share the two that you have found.

Thanks so much!

[moderated: please recommend this salon in the business directory]

Looking for hair stylist for African American hair as well.  Would love info! THANKS!

Hi, Patricia is really good.   Her email address is [email protected]. She is abroad now but will be back in about a week.

Best
Nads

Sorry, I just saw your post.  Here is my hairdresser's email [email protected].

Best

In 2005, after attending a teacher-recruiting fair in the US, our home country, my husband received an offer to teach humanities at an international school in the Big Mango, as some people call it. We made the decision to move before we had children, knowing it would be an opportunity for adventure and a smart career move for both of us—my husband could return to teaching internationally, as he had done before we married, and I could continue to pursue writing projects. Together we would explore Thailand and the surrounding regions of Southeast Asia.

Little did we know that more than seven years later, we would still call Thailand home, and that our family of two would have expanded to four. Today we continue to explore Bangkok and beyond, and with two young boys in tow, it is like a brand new adventure.

I'm traveling through Southeast Asia with my four youngest daughters (12-18).  One was born in South Africa, and one is African American.  I need to find a place in Bangkok to get a weave for the youngest one.  Any ideas where we can get a weave?  We are currently in Auckland, and the other girls is getting her braids now, but no one here seems to have the supplies to do a human hair weave with a closure.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Also, where would you stay in Bangkok?  I need internet for the girls' schoolwork, but don't want to spend a fortune.  We are travelers, not vacationers.
Blessings,
Kristi Fogle

Hi Kristi,

I you give me your email address, I can send you the details of my hairdresser here.  She would be able to address your hair needs or recommend another hairstylist that has experience doing weaves etc.

You could stay at Waterford Diamond Tower on Sukhumvit Soi 30/1. I will send you the link to that by email too.  If you are quick, you could get a 50% discount on their rates now.  They have free internet in rooms so your daughters can do their work.

Also, it is on the Main street that runs through Central Bangkok. 

Hope this helps.
Bless you!
Nadia

Nadia,
Thanks so much!  My email is ***.   Thanks for the hotel rec also, and I really appreciate the link.  I belong to a couple of Facebook pages with traveling families if you want to get together for some group outings.
Kristi

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi there,

I'm bouncing through bangkok on Monday. Does Patricia or anyone you know weave in extensions? Also do you know of anywhere that sells good quality curly hair weaves?

Ainew

Dear Madame,
Can you please send me the contact number of the hairdresser.

Inusso

Inusso wrote:

Dear Madame,
Can you please send me the contact number of the hairdresser.

Inusso

Please contact this member through private message as sharing personal information or advertising are not allowed in the forum

Hey I just moved to Bangkok today and desperately need to get my hair done. Could you share the number or email address of your salon please. I would love to get it done today.

Hello,
I'm an expat living in Japan and I'll be traveling to Bangkok for two weeks over New Year's.
I would like to get a full sew in weave. Is this possible?
Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Please refer to the Hairdressers in Bangkok section of the directory, you will find the contacts of some hairdressers. You will be able to contact them personally and inquire about the service offered.

All the best,
Bhavna