Where I can learn French

I'm moving to Brussels to do my 5-month-long internship there. I don't speak local languages so can anyone recommend where I could learn French? :)

Welcome to Expat.com  nelli89 :)

I have introduced your message in a new thread for better visibility. Meanwhile, you can also post an advert in the Classes category in the Brussels Classifieds Page; this might help you as well.

Warm Regards :)

It would be nice to if anyone knows to share. I am also interested to go to school for either French or Dutch. I do know a little bit of French.

There is a good french school in Brussels, Alliance Francaise, Rue de la Loi !!
i know few people who studied there and they got a good experience.

cincent thanks for the info. By any chance, do you know what their fee is? It looks like it is per hr.

I don't really know about the fee
and i guess it depend which courses you take !!! better to check there !! they are really kind

best value for money language courses are at vub but intake is almost finished for this semester -- cvo-khnb.be/

otherwise, the communes offer language courses and would be worth investigating -- and of course, the best site ever without leaving home for french is rfi.fr/lffr/statiques/accueil_apprendre.asp

in actual fact Neli, I'm sad to say that it is impossible, and in fact illegal to learn French in Brussels.

It all dates back to the obscure history which surrounded the formation of the Belgian state. The - at the time- unprecedented decision to have 'two states in one' situation when Flanders and Walloon were to be joined as one, caused consternation amongst the European ruling class.

Indeed, it was Bizmark himself, who insisted on limiting the connections between this new state and France, feared the rise of a new French super-power with two seperate and distinct capitals.
It is an historical fact that the famous Bizmark quote "Let us not fear the two-headed French snake" came from just this event.

To this day it is illegal to learn French in Belgium, in much the same way as it is illegal to learn Belgian in France. When the law was first introduced, punishment for breaking this rule was execution!

Of course we live in more enlightened times, and now the punishment is just a heavy fine, ever since they stopped executing people in the late 1980s.

nevertheless, I would avoid learning French here if at all possible. There are a few cowboy operators operating in the city, preying on unwary expats. Some of the worst offendors are located above the Art-Loi metro stop. Calling themselves 'Alliance Francais' they style themselves as a'cultural' centre, when in fact their true aim is to teach as much French as they can - illegally!

Belgian police are well aware of this racket, and in fact tactitly allow it to continue. They often camp outside to collect fines, which they then pocket. Offenders who do not pay the fines are pursued to the full extent of the law!
A friend of mine who refused to pay recently receieved a 20 year jail term.

He will be an old man, when he gets out, broken and unsure of himself. His life was taken away from him by the very system he thought was there to protect him.

So whatever you do - don't end up like Henry - don't even attempt to learn French!!!

...um. :rolleyes:

OMG notorious cat enthusiast!!!!!!!! Have you gone mad? ;)

WorldExpat wrote:

OMG notorious cat enthusiast!!!!!!!! Have you gone mad? ;)

No worse than ususal! :-)

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

I live in Brussels and it is not true what you are saying almost all the population in Brussels have as their first lenguage french. There is no lenguqge called belgian so it make no sense: every french teaching school in Brussels have the subject dutch and the same in dutch teaching schools have the subject french. stop giving fake info!

Hello, i am living in Schaerbeek, and just enter a course class for French class and only pay 20 Euros per year. It is called EYAD. Normally before join the course the teachers will give the test and interview and see what level you will go to. it started on 22nd of September, but i think you still can subscribe by come straight away and ask for more information.

From my experience, the teachers are nice and very good in teaching.

Hi! I'm thinking about moving to brussels in January and I'm looking for a room to rent in a nice place and not so expensive. I'm also looking for the best school to learn french. Could you give me some help? Thanks*

Where can I learn French in Brussels?

Hey Enny,

Where is this place that you speak of? Do they have a website? I am very interested!

Enny Frans wrote:

Hello, i am living in Schaerbeek, and just enter a course class for French class and only pay 20 Euros per year. It is called EYAD. Normally before join the course the teachers will give the test and interview and see what level you will go to. it started on 22nd of September, but i think you still can subscribe by come straight away and ask for more information.

Hey Enny,
Where is this place that you speak of? Do they have a website? I am very interested!

acgaeta wrote:
Enny Frans wrote:

Hey Enny,

Here you go:
http://www.eyadasbl.be/activites.php

Other option (not so expensive):
www.iepsevere.be

Alliance Française is almost always the best place to learn French anywhere.

acgaeta wrote:

Where can I learn French in Brussels?

Alliance Française, you can find it in Brussels.

MariaMeca wrote:

Hi! I'm thinking about moving to brussels in January and I'm looking for a room to rent in a nice place and not so expensive. I'm also looking for the best school to learn french. Could you give me some help? Thanks*