Bringing pets from the US

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had brought pets over from the US to Barbados.  I'm thinking about moving there within the year, and want to bring my 2 cats.  I know they cannot fly directly from the US and they'll need there shots and vet records (no problem since I work at an animal hospital).  But I am trying to figure out if I have to fly through England (which makes my trip longer and more expensive) or if there is another way.  Has anyone done this before that can help me?

Good Morning Ireds,

Pets can only enter Barbados from the following countries:  Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Antigua, Jamaica, St. Kitts, St Lucia, St Vincent, and there is a process for that. Pets from other countries being brought into Barbados have to be quarantined in the UK for 6 months. Recently, laws were relaxed for seeing eye dogs, and I read that the parliament was considering relaxing the law to allow visitors to bring their pets with them for the period of the visit. But I have not heard any more about it.

Thanks.  I'm thinking I might fly into St Lucia for a day and then come to Barbados.  It's a cheaper option than going through England.

Here is the information from the Barbados.org page regarding Pets.

Pets
The following guidelines must be followed when importing any animal into Barbados:
•An import permit must be obtained from the Chief Veterinary Officer before the importation of all animals, reptiles and birds.
•A Veterinary Officer must examine the animal before it is allowed to leave the customs area.
•Dogs and cats must be free of any communicable disease. These animals may be imported by permit directly from the UK, Ireland, Jamaica, St.Kitts - Nevis, Antigua, St.Lucia and St.Vincent. Cats and dogs originating from all other countries must undergo 6 months quarantine in Britain after which time an import permit can be secured.
•For further inquiries, contact Veterinary Services at Tel: (246) 427-5073 or Fax: (246) 420-8444

This from successful experience:

There is no longer an absolute requirement to quarantine the animal in the UK (see agriculture.gov.bb/agri/images/stories/Vet_Services/documents/applications/conditions/DogsandCats_Non-Approved_Countries.pdf). If the cat is considered admissible to the UK (European) Pet Travel Scheme, it can go directly from the UK to Barbados, with no more than a couple days of transit. It is relatively simple to get a cat to qualify under that scheme. See the government website: agriculture.gov.bb/agri/index.php?option=com_content&id=203:importation-of-animals&Itemid=101

To enter the UK under the "Pet Scheme" and therefrom enter Barbados, the following requirements need to be satisfied:

•    Microchip (must be implanted before vaccinating against Rabies) Please ensure that the vet scans the microchip to ensure it is working and to verify the identification details
•    Rabies Vaccination
•    Pre entry waiting period of 21 days after vaccination
•    Tick treatment no longer required for cats from Canada
•    Tapeworm treatment no longer required for cats from Canada   
•    Final health check to be completed by the regular licensed veterinarian just prior to international departure

You would have to check on the requirements for your pets to enter St-Lucia, as before you can bring them over to Barbados, they will need to be vouched by the authorities there. The quarantine requirements are still in effect for countries other than Ireland and UK, I believe, as I had dismissed the idea when considering moving my cat. The information is found under "Category 2", on the previously quoted agriculture.gov.bb/agri/index.php?option=com_content&id=203:importation-of-animals&Itemid=101.

The easiest way to go about this ordeal is to deal with a "Pet Travel Agency". There are quite a few in the USA, a Web search will indicate the ones closer to you and those that are reputable. If you chose to do all this alone, you will likely need to travel with your animal to sort things out yourself in the intermediary country. You would then need to check the terms of conditions of the airlines for transport of animals. They have changed considerably over the last few years. Most airline companies will not accept the animal on the plane or even as registered luggage. The animal would have to travel cargo, and you separately on a different flight.

You will also need an import licence from the government of Barbados. Details and instructions, including the form required, are provided at the bottom of the government Web page quoted above.

The rules just changed. As of Jan 1, 2015 pets coming from the US need a microchip, rabies shot, and health certificate.

That's great, thanks for the info.  I just read looked up all the information.  That makes it so much easier.

You betcha! We have three dogs and deciding how to deal with them -- even though our move is not for a couple of years -- was a big concern.