Is Karachi safe? Is there any danger?thinking to move with my family!

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Karachi with my family. All I hear in the news is often negative and suggests you should never step outside - I find it hard to believe it can be like this. I was hoping people living in Karachi could give me an idea of what it is really like, especially for expatriates. Is it generally safe? If there are dangers, what should we be vigilant over?

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Its perfectly save to live in Karachi, as I am born and raise here .
Karachi is a mega city with a population around 3 million, its has all the flavor of mega city such as NewYork,

gstar wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Karachi with my family. All I hear in the news is often negative and suggests you should never step outside - I find it hard to believe it can be like this. I was hoping people living in Karachi could give me an idea of what it is really like, especially for expatriates. Is it generally safe? If there are dangers, what should we be vigilant over?

Thanks

Going there as an expat you should contact your Embassy for latest advice.

It may well be safe for someone who is born there and lives there but it is different for an expat.

gstar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Better to check with your embassy especially since you plan to move with your family. Let's hope other expats living there will give you some input here in the forum also

Hello Friends,

Karachi has a population of 20m ( census 2011) . it is a mega city, It has some politically disturbed areas where crime rate is comparatively high.

There are some precautions and security measures taken by most who have any thing to loose. Stumpy has made a valid point, for some one who has been born and brought up in Karachi, will naturally develop the instinct of survival but the real question is how an expat will face the situation here?

I respectably beg to differ with the idea of taking advice from the Pakistan Embassy in your home country. This is because firstly Pakistani Embassies have been given the agenda of propagating "all is well" policy , secondly the staff in most Pakistan Embassies is posted on political connections rather than their merit therefore their competence is also questionable.

If gstar could kindly explain the purpose and duration of his visit to Karachi and his country of origin ( which determines how well one would blend into local culture) , I will be able to give a more specific advise. :top:

Hi All,

Thank you for your comments. If we do move, it will be for two or three years. I am interested in what people who live there think about the city. Unfortunately, what you hear in the media and sometimes even through embassies is not always accurate. We are currently in Cairo, which is a city of comparable size to Karachi and it also has its challenges, but, we have found Cairo to be fine.

Once again, thank you all for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ghulam

riazcdki wrote:

I respectably beg to differ with the idea of taking advice from the Pakistan Embassy in your home country. This is because firstly Pakistani Embassies have been given the agenda of propagating "all is well" policy , secondly the staff in most Pakistan Embassies is posted on political connections rather than their merit therefore their competence is also questionable.

Stumpy was not suggesting that gstar contact the Pakistani Embassy in his country. He was suggesting that he contact HIS country's Embassy in Pakistan to get up-to-date information relevant to expats. This actually is something that anyone considering expatriating to another country should always do.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks WJ,

You point understood.

Will gstar please share with the rest of the members what guidance is being offered by either Egypt or UK high commission !

Hi all,

Thank you again for the advice. The UK government advice for Karachi:

"There are high levels of violence in Karachi especially in the districts of Lyari and Orangi. The city is vulnerable to serious violent ethnic conflict between the Urdu and Pashtun communities. Criminal and political violence is also common including armed carjacking, robbery, kidnap and murder. Strikes called by various religious and political parties cripple the city and regularly produce violent civil unrest. You should avoid the area around the US Consulate buildings in Saddar Town.

It is difficult to predict the safety of daily activity in the city. Any movement within the city should be carefully planned taking into account all the threats. FCO staff working outside Karachi are not allowed to travel there except on official business. Staff travel around the city is subject to strict security measures and movements on foot are not allowed.

In June the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advised Karachi based diplomats to restrict their movements in the city and to avoid major shopping malls. This advice was reinforced in October 2014, highlighting threats to both foreigners and diplomats. "

This does not sound positive but you have 20 million people there and I am told around 10 million have moved to Karachi in the last 10 years or so??

Thanks
gstar

Gestar,
But these days it's obviously different so one should serious consider whether or not moving to Karachi.

You said you plan to move there with your family, you should think about their safty as well. I think it is a big different if you would move there alone or with your family....just my thoughts

Hello Gstar,

Thanks for sharing information which did not come to me as a surprise.

I spend a lot of time in Saudi and UK but still spend at least 6 months every year in Karachi which is the city where I was born. I do not think our members will be interested in the history of 'how Karachi deteriorated' over past 30 years but let us  focus on your original query of advice on security issue for you and your family:

All you will be needing is an armed gunman as a security guard while you will be moving around. ( There are 250 security companies in Karachi and a guard is available upon making a telephone call with in 2 hours) You will also be expected to keep 2 guards at your house . ( Multistory flats have their own security staff ) . Cost per guard per month is approx $ 200 to $ 300.

The incidents which took place with foreigners in Karachi were targeted against secret agents operating under cover or diplomats belonging to western block opposing xxxxxxxx terrorists.

There are a lot of civilian Europeans coming to Karachi  for garment and leather related businesses. There are consultants volunteers and NGOs working here, I suggest you must plan to come to Karachi by keeping a few precautions.

As a matter of interest , it may be a good idea to extract information on 'crime and security situation in New York' from the internet. It will hardly be different than the report you got from your high commission on Karachi. :lol:

Dear All,

Thank you for your comments, it has given me plenty to think about.

Best wishes

gstar