Kuwait's international reputation

Come on

Kuwiat has its limitations and people who live here have learnt to live with Kuwait's short comings. It is not about alcohol or leaving; its stating facts.  Mature and civilised societies realise their short comings and learn to live with it or activly change to improve.

There are many studies (World Bank, UN and HSBC) which states that the quality of life is Kuwait is less than those in the region and many other countries. Living here just personaliizes those studies. Persons expressing themselves should be respected as this is a sign of maturity. I read a master's thesis written in 1984 complaining about expats in Kuwait yet little is done to reduce the numbers.  Imagine a Kuwait taxi driver, hotel doorman, receptionist, labourer. This would significantly reduce the demand for expats. Efficient government servicess would reduce number of expats. The list continues. 

This is why we live in different countries to build experience. So instead of saying leave to persons describing the place, accept and ask for ways to realisitically improve.  Blaming no alcohol legally in Kuwait is looking for an excuse to dismiss expats who decribe the place as it is.

and your point is?

again, people should not be attacked for voicing their opinions which are based on their own unique experiences.

is Kuwait good? yes. can it be better? of course. is it the best? no.

we may not get to vote on how things are done here but we can definitely voice our opinions without being attacked for them.

All of these new people are short tempered, something in the water perhaps?

Welcome to Kuwait, it is what it is.

its always a choice to live here or leave.no body is forced unless they violate the law.

Yes it must be the water! Let's stop drinking it TriniMario so that we don't piss off kuwait411 with our opinions because we aren't allowed to have one.

It breaks my heart to see this spiraling this way. Let's be more positive .... how about we all meet at the concert tomorrow event at 6:30 PM?  :top:

JFU! tell me more about this concert! pretty please?

@legacy ... I'll be happy to see you there :D

Join us this evening at the Americani Cultural Center (Location) to enjoy an evening of summertime classics. Vivaldi, Rachmaninoff and others will be featured.

The performers will be musicians who live in Kuwait who have previously organized/directed very successful concerts before, namely the brilliant Richard Bushman and members of the Ahmadi Music Group.

It starts at 7:00 PM (better be there by 6:30 PM to find a good seat). See you there.

Hello All

i have been reading the thread and since i am about to land in Kuwait soon ( in a month or so ) , i started to become reluctant with my decision , i admit that i was affected by the negative points mentioned ( not saying its not valid or bad to share ) but what is really concerning me is with regard to harassing women ????? i must relocate with my family and would worry about my wife being able to do the daily activities ( drop off and pick ups from schools , shop , take the kids to a play area or parks ....etc) while i am busy working and not get harassed in any form verbal or physical .

we live in Abu Dhabi which is not as open as Dubai but yet women don't get annoyed or harassed here by either expats of locals as the laws are very strict and @ zero tolerance.

as a possible Kuwait expat ; reading this topic get my really worried , i appreciate sharing experience but also would like to be able to calculate the risk of such issue on my own family .

really and highly appreciate your honest feedback and opinions 

Best

Jo-Mo

Legacy and Ace, you qre very well spoken guys, your info are quite rich and useful to many I guess.. You demonstrate a high sense if logic too.
Congrats and God bless you.
You are true expats Ambassadors here

many thanks Inalsa, much appreciated my North African Comrade ;)

Hello Gringo1970.
I am so glad you took time to extrapolate some specifics of what you really wanted to convey in a positive way.

Thank you for explaining.

At first, your comments seemed to be from the viewpoint, of just another disgruntled person from the West. However, after you qualified it, it became constructive criticism.

Perhaps, it might be best for the Department of Education in Kuwait to hire you instead, as an Educational Systems Consultant, to overhaul their current System, to  a new one you can bring, to "stretch out the olive branch of hope" (as we need here in the US too)!

I was considering coming to Kuwait, to be an Assistant to the Teachers, and/or teach Conversational English to Business Executives, Diplomats, and others.

I do not have a teaching degree, but I have been a Private English Tutor to a few students, while living in Jordan.

Kind regards.

Hi everyone

I m new in kuwait !
I arrived 3 weeks ago !
And really all your negatives messages are the truth !
I m a nice person and happy but since I live here I lost my smile I have a cold face through people .
I was living in Oman I can say is 100% much much better friendly locals people simple life no traffic nice country fir adventure
Here it's crazy city arrogant people I talk about local people
Well I m sorry but I m negative here normaly I m a positive person and mind but I have to do a biggggg effort to find something positive here!
Maybe 1 day I ll find and I hope .

Welcome on board :)

Mmmm... Then u are so lucky  :D

Your welcome on board is funny  !
:cool:

Thank you Toostsie57 ! I smile !!!! This is good ! :)

Am sure u gonna find good friends in Kuwait :)

Hi Piwitotar

Welcome to Kuwait. Yes Kuwait is a bit of a "step-down" from Oman.  I lived in Muscat for many years and it is, to me, the best place in the Gulf.  But we are in Kuwait..........

I would say, a year or two is required to get used to the place not necessarily like it. Just focus on why you are in Kuwait, what you want to achieve and have very, very, very low social expectations.  There are groups that try to meet up and socialize but do not expect much. The lower your expectations the better. There is a reason why Emirates uses its A380 on the Dubai Kuwait route. Probably use your embassy as a start point to meet people and then use Kuwait Meet-up or Internations. Some friend of mine use these groups.

My wife hangs out with some of the Thai community down here in Mahboula/Mangaf area so she is sort of contented. 

Hey most expats who have travelled and lived in a wide variety of countries and especially Oman feel the same as you do. If I was single I would not be here. Enjoy the few things there are to enjoy.

Mario

Thank you Mario, your kind message helps me.
Reading you it was hard because I can see not a lot expectations to have an happy life in Kuwait .

Thanks again !
Piwitotor

sure you will find one soon dear

It's not the issue of alcohol being available. It is the fact that this country is squandering it's resources with all the political infighting and loads of corruption. 20 years ago, this country was more advanced than Qatar and on par with Dubai/the UAE. Now they have both lapped Kuwait in that regards. 20 years ago Kuwait was the country of choice for innovative and creative expats to come and work in. No longer. Things have changed and not in a good way. Also, the society as a whole has become less tolerant and liberal, and much more conservative.

They have a saying, "Kuwait is the past, Dubai the present, and Qatar the future". Sad but true.

The nicest are the Bahrain / Omanis followed by Saudi, UAE, Qatar and lastly Kuwait

Personally, I'd rank Saudi's with Kuwaitis as the worst, but a good ranking otherwise.

Yeah, you pretty much hit all the normal negatives of here and they are constant but it's all what you make of it. I just to Kuwait returned for round three. If you're not an intrepid soul this isn't the place for you. UAE, Bahrain, and Qatar are a few steps up from here.