The British School of Bahrain

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share our experience with anyone who needs information about schools. We were torn between St Christopher's and The British School of Bahrain. We have 2 children one in year 6 and one in year 8.
Having called both schools to gain information I felt warmth and empathy from the admin team at BST whilst feeling neither from St Christopher's in fact quite the opposite I felt like I was a nuisance! Anyway on I pressed. On our first visit to BSB we instantly felt the happy and relaxed atmosphere that resides there and I think the whole family knew that this was "the one".
We did however feel it only right that we visit St Christopher's too. All I shall say is that having spent the last 4 weeks at their new school we are all delighted. The BSB has so many after school activities that I can't keep up. The people have been so welcoming. We vote British school of Bahrain!

This is great feedback, Bettyheart. Many thanks for sharing your experience, which I am sure will be of benefit to all of us.

Best wishes to your children and to you!

Bettyheart wrote:

Having called both schools to gain information I felt warmth and empathy from the admin team at BST whilst feeling neither from St Christopher's in fact quite the opposite I felt like I was a nuisance!

We had a similar experience. Our initial call with St. Chris was awful. Had any other business treated me the way they did I would not have ever even considered contacting them again. However, given its high regards for academics, we persevered. After communication with the principal over the episode we proceeded to arrange a visit to the school.

The visit to St. Chris was good.....until the end when they delivered us to the admissions staff. That was a total disaster. I have never been treated so rudely in my life. Having lived previously in a place where discrimination and rudeness are an accepted part of life, that is saying a lot too! We left St. Chris angry and certain that we would never send our child to this school.

I just don't understand how St. Chris stays so popular. My experience with them is that their admissions staff is so bad (or at least the individuals we dealt with) that no one would ever actually want to pursue enrollment further. I am not convinced that their academics are so good that it is worth being treated so badly for a chance to get into the club either.

I had a great experience with St Chris admissions team. Jo Atkinson. That was a while ago though and all my communication was done via email.

I have copied both comments above to the head teachers of both schools as I feel they need to be totally aware of the situation as admissions really is the first point of contact.

I do relocation tours for people considering moving to Bahrain and part of that role includes school search. I have noticed that I am not being treated very well by admissions when I contact them for a tour which is a real shame. More and more families are moving towards BSB (and BSB is also a lot cheaper!!)

Well done Josnuggles for copying the comments to both schools. However, our experience was also awful with the Admissions staff at St Chris on more than one occasion and we were of the same mindset - if this is what the school considers to be their front line - goodness knows what is going on behind it.

And Stakan - I agree.  Results speak for themselves.

When I said both schools I wasn't very clear, I meant both St Chris Junior school and St Chris Senior school. I copied it to both head teachers and all deputy heads. Surprise surprise no answer, not even an acknowledgement. Rude and arrogant springs to mind!!!!!

Funny that you all say this as I just thought I was just having an emotional sensitive day when I visited St Christopher's that day.

When in discussion with Jo about my move from Riyadh to Bahrain she made me feel bad about my impulsive decision for some freedom and couldn't believe that I was dragging my children to Bahrain without a secure placement in a school and made me feel like such a bad mother for doing so.

I walked away in tears doubting myself and feeling very frustrated at the confrontation I was in about a personal decision made for my family.

I can't believe that someone in Jo's position thinks she can judge anyone especially directly to their face when that is not what she is Paid to do.

Its just a shame Nadeen only goes up to year 6 otherwise I feel not many people would move to St Christopher's especially when the fees are so high too.

Does anyone else feel this way?

3roses wrote:

Funny that you all say this as I just thought I was just having an emotional sensitive day when I visited St Christopher's that day.

When in discussion with Jo about my move from Riyadh to Bahrain she made me feel bad about my impulsive decision for some freedom and couldn't believe that I was dragging my children to Bahrain without a secure placement in a school and made me feel like such a bad mother for doing so.

I walked away in tears doubting myself and feeling very frustrated at the confrontation I was in about a personal decision made for my family.

I can't believe that someone in Jo's position thinks she can judge anyone especially directly to their face when that is not what she is Paid to do.

Its just a shame Nadeen only goes up to year 6 otherwise I feel not many people would move to St Christopher's especially when the fees are so high too.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm guessing that a number of people feel the same way!

While I have nothing good to say about our experience with Ms. Atkinson, she was actually the better of the two people we dealt with. How the school allows her colleague to interface with the public is beyond me. It is great disservice to the public.

And yes - it is a real shame Nadeen only goes up to year 6.

Can I just point out that 3roses is talking about Jo Atkinson and not me......I read that post feeling crushed, then right at the end realised she wasn't referring to me - PHEW

I also agree that it would be fantastic if Nadeem school was a senior school too but it's way too small for that.

I urge all of you to write to the head teachers of the school as I did. If that doesn't work then it may be worth adressing the board of governers.

I am really sorry Josnuggless for the confusion.  My fault for not making it clearer.

Jo in Admissions at St Christophers is who I was referring to.

Apologies again.

It's no problem, my heart has slowed down a tad now. I hope you have got schooling sorted for your child now

Yeah - Sorry Jo! I took it for granted that everyone knew you were not one of the people we were referring to.
You are the complete opposite of them!

Stakan wrote:

Yeah - Sorry Jo! I took it for granted that everyone knew you were not one of the people we were referring to.

Aww thanks  :)

I have had a response from the school. It doesn't say much except that they were already aware of the situation as staff are on this forum.

Lets hope something is done. Preferably a discussion with admissions to re train them in how to deal with the public in a more responsive and professional manner

Josnuggles wrote:
Stakan wrote:

Aww thanks  :)

I have had a response from the school. It doesn't say much except that they were already aware of the situation as staff are on this forum.

Lets hope something is done. Preferably a discussion with admissions to re train them in how to deal with the public in a more responsive and professional manner

We can only hope.

However, sadly, I think the situation has been like this for many many years and my guess is that the school are well aware as nearly every single parent I speak to who applies there has had the same experience although many overlook it and go on to enrol their children anyway.  It feels almost like their behaviour is condoned for some strange reason.

We are moving to bahrain at the end of this month. ..can anyone guide me as to what would be the best school for my almost  9 and 7 yrs Olds?  We both are doctors and going to join at a teaching medical university

Maleficient wrote:

We are moving to bahrain at the end of this month. ..can anyone guide me as to what would be the best school for my almost  9 and 7 yrs Olds?  We both are doctors and going to join at a teaching medical university

Right now it would be any school that has vacancies. Most are full to bursting with long waiting lists. Also depends where your work will be too

I think the best thing to do would be get them in any of the schools that has placements till the school you are set on has something available.

The schools are bursting at the seams right now and no need for you and your children to sit and wait patiently for your desired school to be available.

All the best!

Having come from Dubai where arrogant schools are a norm; St Chris takes the cake. 

Now I understand nationality quotas but professional schools put it across in a nice manner i.e we have a waiting list with preference going to 1, 2 and then 3, considering the applications we have, don't think you should expect anything this year etc etc.

For St. Chris, if you don't have a British (or American) passport, forget it as they won't even speak to you about anything.  And the conversation till then is pretty much abysmal anyway.

I was one of the few parents who are not willing to overlook this experience and have moved onto other schools (Other schools charge a lot more e.g. 6500 BD for Pre Kg in Riffa Views international but worth every penny) with a vow not to come back to this school in any case. I mean, the staff is reflective of the values of the school and I am sorry, but these are not the kind of values & behavior that I would want my child to pick up. Which values / behaviors am I talking about?  antisocial snobbish misfits who live in their own deluded world of superiority - but in reality are (pardon my language) nothing but glorified trailer trash.

I have to disagree on the passport quote - my son goes to St Chris and his best mates are a group of lads that all hang out together every weekend. They are Dutch, English, Indian, Spanish and Italian.
I am also extremelly happy with the teachers at the school and the level of education.

I am not happy with their admissions team and the way they treat people.

Example:

We have no room in the year group and the waiting list is full. We will not conduct a tour of the school. Family were Indian

My response - Do you realise that their 13 year old son has a degree in the chinese language that he taught himself, then took the test and got A*

Reply from St Chris - oh in that case we can do a tour

I was fuming to say the least. BSB were much better and their fee's are less
BUT I still like St Chris

Josnuggles wrote:

I have to disagree on the passport quote - my son goes to St Chris and his best mates are a group of lads that all hang out together every weekend. They are Dutch, English, Indian, Spanish and Italian.
I am also extremelly happy with the teachers at the school and the level of education.

Hi Jo, this comes up when they have a waiting list going and when it fills up (and usually at entry level).  If you are willing to wait a few years on that list then I am sure that other nationalities can get in.

Like you, I also have an opinion which rightly or wrongly was shaped by my experience of that school.  Not a reflection on teaching methods or anything but rather the perception it provides to the outside party.  And unfortunately, for most people, perception is what we assume reality to be.

You know, Bahrain is pretty small and hence the competition in the education sector is not so intense.  In Dubai, the schools that were behaving like this in 2010; were begging people in 2014 to enroll.  This was due to a large number of good quality schools opening up during that time.  Schools standards notwithstanding; real academic excellence comes from the kind of people you enroll - and once those people start drifting to other places, all you have is a building with history and memories of great times past.

Still disagree XTang. Unless you have worked there or had kids there for years then how can you know? My son is in Year 9 and there is a great mixture of kids in his year group - oh yeah and he got the last available space

Josnuggles wrote:

Still disagree XTang. Unless you have worked there or had kids there for years then how can you know? My son is in Year 9 and there is a great mixture of kids in his year group - oh yeah and he got the last available space

No Jo, what I meant was that this is "my" perception based on "my" experience and dealing with them a few months ago as well as anecdotal information from colleagues who faced the same within the same time period.  I could be wrong about St. Chris real intentions or their true values (they could be great supporters of diversity for all I know - I felt differently in my interaction though), but I did not bother to stick around and take abuse to find out as my tolerance for idiots is very limited; so I moved on. 

Not saying that your perspective is wrong - we just differ in the experiences that we have had with this school.  So we can agree to disagree :)

agree to disagree works well with me and I DO agree that we have had two totally separate experences. I do remember my husband taking in Chocolates to admissions though :-)

Lets hope that the schools have taken relavant action and spoken to those concerned and that things will be different soon. Shame for all those families that had such a bad experience though

Damn I missed that; I used to work for a Chocolate company and had access to free samples :)

XTang wrote:

Damn I missed that; I used to work for a Chocolate company and had access to free samples :)

You plonker  :huh:

Admitted my kids aged 9 n 7 at Dilmun School  as it was midterm and bsb , st Chris n choefat refused till assessment next year....but am not satisfied with the younger one especially. ...feel the child is being stressed out. ....

St. Chris does have a horrible admissions office, but at the very least, you get a quality education once (or if) you do get inside.

Thanks everyone for your comments. We were thinking of enrolling our kids in St Christopher but I don't feel we will anymore

You only deal with admissions in the beginning. It is an amazing school and my son loves it there. Don't diss it just because of those unprofessional people at admissions.

I have told the head teacher about the comments here and he is the sort of guy who will get things sorted and quick. Worth a call just to see if they have altered their approach or not.

I have been told that lots of the teachers are on this forum so the school are fully aware of what is being said. I do hope they won't allow this to continue.

Shame none of them have commented that this issue has been addressed and resolved though...........

Josnuggles wrote:

You only deal with admissions in the beginning. It is an amazing school and my son loves it there. Don't diss it just because of those unprofessional people at admissions.

I have told the head teacher about the comments here and he is the sort of guy who will get things sorted and quick. Worth a call just to see if they have altered their approach or not.

I have been told that lots of the teachers are on this forum so the school are fully aware of what is being said. I do hope they won't allow this to continue.

Shame none of them have commented that this issue has been addressed and resolved though...........

Thanks for your recommendations, you have been very helpful :)

No problem - hope you get it sorted out soon and once you move here you will be contributing on the forum too.

:top:

Josnuggles wrote:

We have been communicating with the Primary school admission officer Caroline Wilkie. And we are in the process of getting our kids reports and documents emailed to the school

Excellent.. Send a reference from their current teachers and head of school too. I found that really helped.

I dealt with Jo Atkinson and found her very informative and extremely funny.

Let us know how you get on

I will do that. Thank you  :)

It's nice to hear it. I'm planning to move my son there , he is 7 now.
They told me he will need to pass test or interview. Can you share what kind of questions there?
Did you get a place there directly after passing test or they kept you on waiting list?
If your kids are there now share please how is the education there, teachers.
Thank you

Hi,

Tests are English and Maths and last around 2 hours.

Our son went on the waiting list after his test but got in after only a week or so. He got the last place in his year group.

I have already stated that the education there is great and so are the teachers

Thank you.