International Schools in Muscat, Oman

Hi everyone, I am new in this blog.  I come from Indonesia.  I will move to Muscat, Oman in the beginning of July 2014 with my husband and 2 children. My children are both still in primary school.  Couple months ago I already applied to 4 international schools (TAISM, BSM, TLC and Royal Flight).  I applied for grade 4 and grade 5 for my children but they are all still on the waiting list up to now for the above 4 schools.  Is it very difficult to get a secured place for international schools in Oman?. I heard the International school of Choueifat is good but they have a strict curriculum and the syllabus is far too advanced for student. How about MIS (Muscat International School)?.  Is it good?.  Can anyone suggest me good international schools in Muscat, Oman for my children?.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dear!
If I had a child and I wanted to provide him a quality "Baseline", I would have never considered British School Muscat. I have seen children of BSM - 5th standard and what they are being taught is  5 + 2 = 7 (With the help of counting color pencils).  The only thing, BSM is good at.... is their so called camping stuff and children parties where they mint money from the parents like crazy. Further, I have no idea about TAISM, however the Royal Flight School is good.

Following are few good international schools in terms of education and a quality syllabus.

1-  Choueifat International School.
2-  Azan Bin Qais International School (UK standard) - With Islamic Teachings (If child is Muslim)
3-  Al-Ruadh International School (Canadian Standard)
4-  Muscat International School.

I (personally) have heared the good reviews about the above schools. Trust this would might help you in selection.

Regards.

Thank you so much Schaz... I will try those schools. 

Kind regards,

You're most welcome.

I will also suggest you to seek assistance via various facebook pages, related to schools and education in Oman. I'm sure you'll gain alot more info from there.

I would stay away from Al-Ruadh International School. While the teaching staff is good, the horrible management (they are greedy and money obsessed) tend to drive away all the good teachers (the turn-over rate is extremely high). Some teachers even leave mid-way through the year! Your kids would definitely suffer for it.

Actually, British School Muscat is a very good school. It is regarded as one of the better schools in Muscat, probably one of the top 5. Ask most of the British parents with their kids there, and they are happy with it. They wouldn't be if the school wasn't any good.

TAISM is one of the top schools here also, it follows the American curriculum. It has a very diverse student body (over 60 nationalities attend the school), and is regarded as having some of the best facilities of all the schools in Muscat. But it is also one of the most expensive.

Another option is ABA (American British Academy). It offers the IB program. Again, it is one of the top 5 international schools in Muscat. If you haven't applied to it, it should be on your list, along with BSM and TAISM. You definitely should have your kids try and get into one of those schools.

Thanks to much for your story.

Have you found a school for your kids!

Thanks too much for your story.

Dear ingelia,

Thanks to much for your story.

I moved to Muscat, Oman in August 2002 while I was in 3rd grade in Australia. I joined 4th grade in MIS and eneded up completing grade 12 in 2011. MIS offers the British curriculum (IGCSE in 9 and 10 and A level in 11 and 12). All the Australian and New Zealand students in my school suffered after graduating from my school. Unfortunately the British curriculum is ranked very low in Australia. Geting a 'A and B'in grade 12 meant 75% in Australian university. An Australian class of mine she got 'A and B'in grade 12 and she didn't get accepted in Australian university for engineering, she ended up doing foundation in Australian university.Her brother who is older by 5 year did another school exam outside of school after graduating. He did SAT (america currcurriculum) and only then got accepted in engineering at a university in Sydney,  Australia.
My experience: 50% is a a fail mark in A level in the British curriculum. It's very hard to pass in A level unless you are a genius. I ended up taking a gap year after graduating and did the SAT. My SAT mark was good enough to study medicine in europe. I am currently in my 3rd year of medicine.
Go to ABA, I recommend everyone especially Australians. With British curriculum you can't study university in USA or Australia. IB curriculum is excepted everywhere even UK, USA and Australia where it is also taught. One of my friend in Australia studied IB in school. I know a girl from school who moved to UK and is studying IB. I highly recommend ABA, it is the best school. Most Australian in Muscat send their kids to that school

ABA replied to me that they have no seats for my kid in G-3 this year even G-4 next year, also BSM and ISC also haven't any seat this year but they might have for G-4. PDO and TAISM they said waiting list without a promise.

I dont know what to do once I get the visa, shall I accept the job offer and come to Muscat without booking my kid in a school!!!!

PLEASE GUIDE ME

What have you found about a school yet? We've just applied to TAISM for kindergarten starting in August and hope they'll find room. Anyone know if their K is full?

try International school of Oman sure they have seat for your child and this is also a good school. Josefa

International school of Oman is also a good school. the head master there is formerly the principal of Choueifat. that scholl is getting bigger and giving a good quality of education.

Thanks! However specifically looking at TAISM and perhaps ABA or even PDO school if push comes to shove. Thx

if your working in pdo sure they will accept your kuds

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the Jobs in Muscat section. thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct