Where do the best high school?

i'll do high school  somewhere  of USA, but i don't know which state.
I  need to choose the state until jan's end!!!!
Please,help me for choose a state without accent and with the best education!
thank you!

A state without accent might be impossible.  They all have accents, though everybody thinks it is only others who have an accent.  Which state has the best education is highly subjective and changes with every election.

Hi Alice,

Both the USA and Canada are noted for their exceptionally high standards of public education. Education policy in both countries is basically determined by the federal government, while administration and actual service providing is done by the state or province. In practical terms the standard of education and curriculum changes very little from state to state or province to province.

Really no matter where you attend high school you're going to get an education that is far better than anywhere in Brazil, by simple virtue of the fact that in North America one has 7 hours of classes per day, unlike in Brazil where you're lucky to get 3 or 4 at most. Also teachers in North America are required to have superior qualifications, unlike in Brazil. Gosh, I can remember trying to speak to the English teacher of the son of my ex-wife. I started to speak to her in English and she stopped me immediately, in Portuguese (which by the way was not even as good as mine) she said that she was sorry, but that she didn't speak English. When I asked how that could be, an English teacher who doesn't speak English, she replied that "she only taught what was in the book". Something like that would never happen anywhere in North America..... believe it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

wjwoodward wrote:

In practical terms the standard of education and curriculum changes very little from state to state or province to province.

I think the school districts of Connecticut and Mississippi might disagree with that.

Honestly I would choose your state based on climate and activities outside of school that you are looking for and then start looking at different cities and their different school districts. No one state is better than the rest, All have great schools and all have schools that perform poorly. It all depends on the teaching staff, funding, and unfortunately the student's economic status.

If you don't like snow don't head to the northeast or the midwest. If you like nature and don't mind a lot of rain look at Oregon or Washington.

I would look at where the exchange student program that I hope you are working with recommends. They are trained and familiar with students from your area and finding the student an area where they feel they will succeed.

Your dad really needs to be diligent with exchange student programs - especially if you are to live with a host family and he remain in Brazil.

There has been quite a few instances of "not ideal living conditions" (to put it lightly) with host families and he needs to check their background and qualifications before committing. I will send him a message directly about this. :)

Here in PA most of the foreign high school students go to Catholic high schools and live with a host family, which is paid about $500/month to feed, house and transport them to school and other activities.  In addition there is a private school tuition of several thousand dollars a year, plus attendance, but not participation in Mass is required.  Many non-Christian Chinese and Koreans have attended, costing the parents about $10,000/year/student.  Often a private tutor is required at additional cost.

I agree with stressedmom that you might want to look at location first- if you're a city girl and you end up in a tiny rural town, it might be very difficult.

however, in terms of the accent of English you acquire, I knew an Icelandic woman who'd gone to school somewhere in the deep south and had learned this interesting local lingo. She had wanted to work in the US after graduation and despite being very qualified, she had no luck. My feeling was that her accent might have been part of the problem.

When people are trying to be as neutral as possible with the American English accent, generally the midwestern accent is considered to be the most uncomplicated. However, if you stick to big city areas, they generally have a big mix of people which neutralize any big regional variations.

If you go to school in a smaller town you may find the local accents are stronger and therefore harder for you to understand.

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi Alice,

Both the USA and Canada are noted for their exceptionally high standards of public education. Education policy in both countries is basically determined by the federal government, while administration and actual service providing is done by the state or province. In practical terms the standard of education and curriculum changes very little from state to state or province to province.

Really no matter where you attend high school you're going to get an education that is far better than anywhere in Brazil, by simple virtue of the fact that in North America one has 7 hours of classes per day, unlike in Brazil where you're lucky to get 3 or 4 at most. Also teachers in North America are required to have superior qualifications, unlike in Brazil. Gosh, I can remember trying to speak to the English teacher of the son of my ex-wife. I started to speak to her in English and she stopped me immediately, in Portuguese (which by the way was not even as good as mine) she said that she was sorry, but that she didn't speak English. When I asked how that could be, an English teacher who doesn't speak English, she replied that "she only taught what was in the book". Something like that would never happen anywhere in North America..... believe it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

thanks!
But, what do you think about accent? how I said, my english isn't perfect and I think which  a state with an accent will be hard for improving my English.

usmc_mv wrote:

Your dad really needs to be diligent with exchange student programs - especially if you are to live with a host family and he remain in Brazil.

There has been quite a few instances of "not ideal living conditions" (to put it lightly) with host families and he needs to check their background and qualifications before committing. I will send him a message directly about this. :)

ok!!
Do you think which is better  i stay at school than   family's house??

ECS wrote:

I agree with stressedmom that you might want to look at location first- if you're a city girl and you end up in a tiny rural town, it might be very difficult.

however, in terms of the accent of English you acquire, I knew an Icelandic woman who'd gone to school somewhere in the deep south and had learned this interesting local lingo. She had wanted to work in the US after graduation and despite being very qualified, she had no luck. My feeling was that her accent might have been part of the problem.

When people are trying to be as neutral as possible with the American English accent, generally the midwestern accent is considered to be the most uncomplicated. However, if you stick to big city areas, they generally have a big mix of people which neutralize any big regional variations.

If you go to school in a smaller town you may find the local accents are stronger and therefore harder for you to understand.

I'm afraid that this also happens to me, I will try make the college there..

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls]

Alice,

I sent a message to your dad but the tuition is around R$101,159 for this school. Room, tuition, etc.

Matt-

I chose my school based on the school, not on the state.  You spend more time in class than anywhere else anyway.

MiaCulpa wrote:

I chose my school based on the school, not on the state.  You spend more time in class than anywhere else anyway.

Yes, I agree. However as stated before they can only pick the state - the Feds pick the city. Anywhere from population 200 - 200,000.

In that case, I would choose New Jersey, Connecticut or Rhode Island.  Even the most remote location is relatively close to civilisation.  Texas might be a very bad choice as the city could be exceptionally far from anything worthwhile.

MiaCulpa wrote:

In that case, I would choose New Jersey, Connecticut or Rhode Island.

Move to New Jersey on purpose, possibly wind up in Patterson?

Or jammed in traffic? Hahahha

Texas is a great  a place to go to  high school and college at .You have so many high schools and  colleges to choose from  A few   of them are  rated real high.There are many good Catholic and other private high schools.As for colleges. Rice university in Houston,Baylor in Waco and Smu in Dallas .The University of Texas in Austin is good and Texas A&M in college station is very good. They have so many more high schools and colleges.The advantage of going to high school and college in the state of Texas! You have the great weather,nicest people,great bbq,coast,lakes,rivers,live music,the music capital of the world(Austin).It gets hot but that's what the lakes and rivers are for . You don't get the cold weather of the North, Midwest and East coast.Most people in Texas are very friendly and easy to get to know.Austin is the most popular city to move to in Texas and in America.You don't have the pollution problems like you have in NY,LA Boston,Miami etc.. Except in Houston.Texas is like it's own country and has so much to do.It's not so crowded like many other states and doesn't have as much crime.Houston does have a few problems but overall it's not bad.People on the East and West coast always like to talk crap about Texas.So, why are so  many of them moving here.I have lived all over America and Texas is the only place that I will ever live in the states.  In Austin you have formula I,SXSW,ACLU to name just a few events.You every kind of sport.I love Brazil and if I could afford it.I would live in both places.In Dallas,Austin,Houston,San Antonio are groups of Brazilian that hangout together.As for accents .I have never met a well educated Texan that didn't get a job because of the way they spoke .I was stationed in the USA Navy both on West coast and East coast.I have family in both places.I still would pick the state of Texas over any other state.I know this is a real late post.If I can help you or anyone else on info about Texas.Just send me a message.Good luck !!!!!

Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :D