IT consulting in Budapest

Hello everyone,

I'm considering relocating to Budapest to start an IT consulting firm. Anyone have any insights on the market and whether not speaking Hungrain will be a big disadvantage?

I'm also developing a website for the local Budapest population - is the web used as extensively as it is in the US or GCC?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I think it really boils down to what you mean by IT consulting. There is a long time and established tech and computer repair company here owned by an American who does speak Hungarian.

I would be wary as to who would use your services if you are monolingual English. It will be really difficult to market your services to a very narrow pool of potential clients.

I'm looking to focus more towards the corporate clients for document management, cloud services, website design/maintenance and digital marketing i.e. SEO, social media, content management etc...

I'm also considering hiring a couple of Hungarian speaking fresh graduates to help out in the initial marketing and sales of services - as I know it will be very difficult for me alone being only an English speaker.

qasimshah wrote:

I'm looking to focus more towards the corporate clients for document management, cloud services, website design/maintenance and digital marketing i.e. SEO, social media, content management etc....

So basically, what everyone else is offering....

Unless you can find a special and specific niche to fill, this is nothing special, especially if you are interested in local contracts.

qasimshah wrote:

I'm also considering hiring a couple of Hungarian speaking fresh graduates to help out in the initial marketing and sales of services - as I know it will be very difficult for me alone being only an English speaker.

If the fresh grads can speak to you in English, they probably already left to work abroad (better pay). What you have left with in Hungary is mostly either the non-Foreign language speakers or those that can speak a foreign language but are not competent. Those left here that can speak a foreign language but are competent enough to work abroad but for family or personal reasons want to stay in Hungary are sought after and can demand high salaries.

I have heard the same regarding hiring in Hungary. As for the IT aspect, it is a tough market regardless of where you are, the big differentiating factor being pricing and quality -  claydesk.com FYI. I'm also developing a website, similar to an online classified website, where people can post and sell their used items.

Thanks for all of your tips though, they are really helpful! Its good to get an honest opinion regarding the business environment.