Paraguayan native becoming US citizen

Hello,

If a Paraguayan born in Paraguay to 100% Paraguayan parents, moves to the US, and becomes a US citizen with a US passport, via marriage, do they still keep their Paraguayan citizenship?

I have done a lot of searching online and from what I have found, the oath taken to become a US citizen does state that the person gives up any other held citizenships, but in reality the US does not 'force' people to renounce their old citizenship, and allows dual nationality.

Also Paraguay only allows dual nationality for native borns, due to right of soil, unless they voluntarily become a citizen of another country AND renounce their Paraguayan citizenship, which, as stated before, does not NEED to be done when becoming a US citizen.

So in reality they can hold both a US and Paraguayan passport and be a citizen of both countries, without any problems.

Or am I missing something?

Try this website www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_PARAGUAY.html

To lose your Paraguayan citizenship you have to formally renounce it via a process accomplished either at a Paraguayan embassy abroad or by doing so in Paraguay.   So while Paraguay says you must do this IF you become a citizen of another country, it's not enforced and I guarantee that there are many Paraguayans who hold second passports (mostly German or US) living in Paraguay or the US as you can meet these people all day long in Paraguay and the US.   

That was the "long answer".  The short, stumpy one is "yes they do, unless they take direct action to renounce that old Paraugayan citizenship".