BBM or price subsidized fuel rise up

Mr. President has just announced the raised price of subsidized fuel,
I understand it's very difficult decision for the president to take such move, I personally agree with this if this is for the better future of Indonesia.
How about you guys will this issue give any impact on you??

This is one of my few pet peeves about Indonesia…not so much that increases in any and all government subsidized programs are justifiably needed, but rather the way they are typically brought on.

Typically, whenever there is an increase here it's a significant amount.  In this case it's an increase of 1/3!  I'm sorry, but that's insane and it's entirely unfair to those who just about make it from hand to mouth. 

Why on earth the more obviously logical approach of lesser hikes over a staged period of time are not used here escapes me entirely.  And then they wonder why there are riots. 

If the need to increase gas prices by 33 1/3 % is legitimate, then do it over the next 12 months in increments of 10% each increase and give the people a chance to adapt and adjust.

True it is quite unfair to those who earn just enough to feed one's mouth!
Think again back then when the sby era he had increased the price over 86% they can survive!
And think of the traffic jam Jakarta has suffered because of too much vehicle on the road,this move as I see isn't only to increase more income for the state but to train the people to be more wise in using the gas.you know very well the attitude of most Indonesian regarding discipline

I believe he's made a mistake, not with the rise, but how it was done.
That sudden increase will scare people, and you really don't need that at a time when so many people are up to their necks in debt.
I believe he should increase the price, by by Rp500 every couple of months, thus taking away the shock.

The increased gas price in Indonesia is still much cheaper than here with the standard currencies rate of 300 rp per 1 ntd  the price is 500 rp lesser, here the subsidized gas is 30 ntd per Liter

The whole point behind this gas increase is to raise revenues to improve infrastructure, medical and education services.  That's all fine, but don't make the poorest of folks pay for that.  A far better approach would be to heavily tax automobiles, especially high end automobiles, or what we might call a "luxury" tax in the West. 

This gas price increase isn't going to do anything to make those who commute every day by car think or learn, simply because it will have very little impact on them.  Moreover this gas price increase will do nothing to improve traffic conditions in Jakarta.     

The gap between the rich and poor of Indonesia is getting larger every year.  Much like Pak Fred, I was very surprised that Jokowi would inflict this additional expense across the board, thus causing more financial hardship to those for which every rupiah counts.  IMHO this move by Jokowi is in direct contrast to his reputation as a "man of the people."

I think it had to be done and there were warnings it was coming from the day he was elected. If he had announced when, then we could have expected the usual round of riots and strikes and protests which would be fruitless and show the world how the workforce misunderstands things.
I use Shell mainly because I dont have to queue and therefore its quick. I think that if the money is put to use as promised then its all for the good. I dont like the cheap fuel. I never have.
I see the problem lying not with the poorer people for whom the subsidy was for and will take what has happened well but those who can afford 1 or 2 expensive cars and the put the cheapest fuel into them which makes no real sense to me.

Dont forget in Jakarta, the minimum wage rises to 2.7 million soon and the free health care cards are reaching all citizens so there is some good as well. My son can now receive free medical and medicine which is helpful.

I expect there will a knock on in the price of food and things but that has been happening regardless and before we all tearing strips from the president, not everything has been explained regarding the rise in the past 10 hours. The president has said he wants to protect the fishermen etc on the islands and I am sure he will be doing something about that as well.

Interestingly no one rioted when the price of cigarettes went up? Yet it is the poor people who smoke them and for 16000 for a packet these are the same price as 2 litres of fuel.... Why was that? Maybe because they just went up in price and it was not announced. Everytime the government announces something will change, out come the flags, the demonstrations, riots and the costs of clearing the mess up and it still changes.  I think the president took a daring and bold step and will reap the rewards in the near future, not yet but he will.

SBY disappointed me on this issue.
He should have grown a set of balls and done it ages ago, instead of ducking it, leaving it to Jokowi.
One other thing needs doing, and doing now.
No cars should be allowed into cities if they have engines over 1,000 cc, unless they have a special permit to do so.
The permit would only be available if you can prove you have need for a massive monster car.
This will do three things:
Increase business for car sales companies.
Save a small fortune in fuel subsidy costs to the government
Make parking easier- you can fit three small cars where you can only get two 4X4 lunps of junk.

Have to agree with you Fred. Great idea.

Boys and their 4x4 toys. May be a penis substitute ??

You may want to up your cc limit a bit there Fred, otherwise you'd be excluding the most popular car in Indonesia, our own Toyota Kijang.   ;)

Ubudian wrote:

You may want to up your cc limit a bit there Fred, otherwise you'd be excluding the most popular car in Indonesia, our own Toyota Kijang.   ;)

They can always make a smaller, low fuel consumption version.
Been to Tangerang today, using Jalan tol all the way, and my little 1,000cc Ayla works a treat.
Unless you're carrying a large family or half your office, there's no need for anything bigger.
5 people fit in mine quite happily.

I'd love to see you try to get your Ayla with 5 adults on board up the road from Ubud to Bedugul...without pushing it of course.   :D 

BTW, if any of these passengers have luggage, where does that go…tied to the roof?

Ubudian wrote:

I'd love to see you try to get your Ayla with 5 adults on board up the road from Ubud to Bedugul...without pushing it of course.   :D 

BTW, if any of these passengers have luggage, where does that go…tied to the roof?

Bit of a hill is it?
Not many of them in Jakarta.
Yep, roof bars and boxes are available in many good stores.
Ace hardware do some excellent ones.

I agree with Luke's statment, the poor indeed feel the impact of this riased gas,especially those who live in big city not those lived in village! Village people need most isn't gas cheap or expensive, what they need most is cheap and easy proses of health care, and a good harvest for they are mostly are farmer and good and better irrigation system so they able to plant at least twice a year. If they can harvest and produce more Basic need of foods materials the govt could safe the import expenses, not like nowadays we have a wide spread of padi plantation but still import rice, the same with sugar and fruits and meat.
Of course increasing gas price isn't the only way to tackle state debt and increase the state income should be followed with other improvements such high taxes  for the wealthy and get ride of the corruption habit

Sorry Bidara, but I disagree with your statement that “village” people don't need cheap gas, or aren't as negatively effected by gas hikes as “city” people.

In fact, it's just the opposite which is true.

In the cities there is some public transport, even if only bemos.  In the kampung, it's the two legs God gave you, or it's your motorbike.  In fact, I would argue that the average orang dari kampung does a lot more driving around than the average Indonesian in Jakarta, and by a considerable degree.

For “village” people living in the more remote parts of Indonesia the situation is even worse as the cost of transporting goods to those areas…goods which they absolutely need and rely on, also increases.

Well pak Roy we are indeed have different point of view in this matter and it's our right to express that differsity but for the good not for the bad. I respect your opinion.i'm originally from village and we suffer more about foods harvest then bbm so my statment based on my experience

I agree, it's fine to disagree, but just so you know, I've been living in a Balinese kumpung almost 17 years, so I base my comments and observations on a great deal of experience as well.   ;)

BTW, don't the sawah in eastern Java also use the Subak irrigation systems like we do here in Bali?  Our sawah always yield two crops of rice (minimum) per year.  Some fields have pushed it to three harvests per year.

Also, as for import rice, some just simply prefer it and don't mind paying extra for it...kinda like durian where those imported from Thailand are always the best.

Roy is correct. Everything is different and so much more of a challenge both financially and personally the further away from cities you go. Whilst the fuel price increase will in the long term help everyone it won't help the people as much as we believe in the more remote places. That does not mean it should not have happened but it means those who are affected by it most should be supported quicker, not those who cry the loudest or strike the most.
Don't forget the food fish water etc comes from the people in the villages and so as Roy said everything will become harder now. People who live on cities can choose what transport to take. In the middle of nowhere there often is no choice.

In my village we don't use the subak system but depended on the rain fall so barely plant twice a year and the ' Hama' is a big enemy to our already struggling for water, as you know hama can attact padi easily when the irrigation not well managed, we had a small gut to deliver water from the river but cost lots of money as we must take turn to be watered so our harvest means nothing calculated with the cost to plant and maintain, and I wish in near future our village can have better system of irrigation and better supply of subsidized pesticide to prevent early stage of harmful Hama

My hope too is those who get effected most be handled well and in time
So the impact would not get wide. Let's us all hand in hand do our part for our country to a better and desireble  place to life. Differsity isn't bad but in fact is beautiful lets our differsity shine with our most effort to United not insult each other nor to force our opinion to other.

The name of my village is Bunutan-Kedewatan, northwest of Ubud and along the Ayung River.  What is the name of your village, and where is it?

Regarding the Subak system, as you likely already know, the key to the success of that system (which has been used in eastern Java and Bali for over a thousand years), is community cooperation, and mutual benefit from the available water.  This sometimes requires changes as to which crops to plant, or other changes, but it sure beats having to be self reliant and standing alone to get the water needed for farming.

My is in Majalengka the border side to Cirebon and and Indramayu exactly my village is located in these two regency as you see on the map my village located along the small river branch on Cimanuk river. But that small river in our village always dried up when is kemarau we hardly get enough water to maintain our corps
Sorry our village name is Kedung kencana kecamatan ligung