Teaching English in China - how much to charge?

I am an Australian and will be moving to Dalian China next year. I would like to teach English there and I would like to get an Idea on how much to charge to teach English privately (not as part of a school). Is there much of a demand for it and what is the best way to find students to teach?

Adrian07 wrote:

I am an Australian and will be moving to Dalian China next year. I would like to teach English there and I would like to get an Idea on how much to charge to teach English privately (not as part of a school). Is there much of a demand for it and what is the best way to find students to teach?

Have you checked up on visa requirements??

Yes that part of it is all ok.

I'm new to the site so hoping someone can help with how I find previous conversations on this site about teaching English in China? Thanks.

Hi, I hope for Native English foreigners having lot of teaching opportunity in China . Better to try Job in Shanghai place you can find so many foreigners there

hi , i graduated from faculty of tourism and accommodationand i can speak english very well+ i know basics of chinese language + knowing arabic . hope if i can find job in china , iam serious ,

Hi ,at present which place you are living ?

@Adrian07 As an Australian, you will find plenty of opportunities. Try  echinacitiesDotCom and you will find several possibilities.  I am registered there but as I am an Indian by birth and no bachelors, my teaching experience of 13 years and my TEFL do not count. only my skin colour counts (sorry, I have been told that in my face) Not a problem. I have given up.  You can easily find an opening. Best of luck
Cheers
Suren

egypt . wo shi ai ji ren :)   and iam serious to get job in china :) and live there too

Hi, usually for one to one is 200 yuan per hour.

Thank you Claire

What would you suggest is reasonable per person for a group of 10?

Have u already found the students? U mean children or adults? And how many hours for one week?

No students yet but I will get them. The students will be adults and children as I will have separate classes for both. Students can choose from one or two hour classes. They will choose how many hours or classes they do each week.

Coming to Shanghai then!

i am working in an American comapny and we have class to offer, please check www.global-lt.com for more information about us and you are morethan welcome to contact me if you need.

Hello Adrian,
We are an International Education & Culture Department part of China Energy Investment Co. in Beijing.
We offer stable salary and help with your visa. How old are you?
Beijing is the city where the English teachers earn more salary than other cities because is the capital.
If you are sure you want to go to Dalian we can contact you with our partners in there.
You can send your CV to [email protected]
Regards.

to the Chinese Educational Department Company: Do you really understand just how offensive your very first question is "How old are you" nothing about experience, degrees, country, whether you are a native speaker or not.  I know that if you are over sixty, you will not get a work visa.  If you have surpassed that milestone, save yourself the trouble of sending all your
documents.  I am younger than 4 of the 6 most powerful leaders in the government and over 60....so can I assume that its much easier to manage the second largest economy in the world than to teach a class of children.  Laurence.

Oh and a big PS to the same educational department, the reason the salaries are higher in Beijing, is because the cost of living is much higher than most less significant cities in China.

Hello Laurence,

the reason for the age question is because under 24 years old we can not help with the working visa.

I didn't just fall off a pumpkin truck, what if you are over 60??? can you guarantee a visa to a person that age and in good health? There are many quality teachers that would have remained in China to instruct had this little law not popped up.  Oh, and I have never heard of the under 24 law, has anyone else?  When I began coaching and teaching here 10 years ago, we had two 18 year old high school graduates teaching English.  The company had lied not only to the schools but the governments.  Laurence

As a Westerner living in China , I must apologise for the rudeness of SOME Westerners . They are usually from a certain area of the planet noted for it's aggression and ignorance .
To the original poster : The fees you can charge will depend upon the qualifications you hold and the experience you have . Do some research online to see what such teachers are currently charging . There are forums where people can exchange experiences and info . BUT be aware that there are malcontents lurking on them all who tend to skew the conversations into negative areas .
Good luck .

Thanks Ozsteve53, I appreciate it.

Can you let know me more information about teaching in china ?