Bringing my small dog to San Miguel

I would like to spend an extended visit in San Miguel de Allende. Will my small dog be a problem? If I travel on to Mexico City, can I find a kennel or dog sitter in San Miguel while I travel to Mexico City? Will flying into Leon with my dog be a problem? Thanks in advance for help.

Hello paulkael and welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope that some members will be able to help you out

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi paulkael, You should have no problem bringing your small dog with you to Mexico so long as you follow the rules.  There definitely is a lot of conflicting information on the internet.  I rely on the Government of Mexico's website.  Here is the link:

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=623

It indicates that the Health Certificate needs to be on letterhead, so that is what I do.  I get the vets' office to stamp it and make it look as official as possible, but really the only thing they seem to be picky about is that it has an original signature.

We just brought our Boston Terrier into the Cancun airport via cabin in the plane (Delta) in her soft-side travel kennel (Sturdibag large size, do a google search if you are in a need of a travel kennel -- depending on your dog's  size, you may not need the large size, but even that one will fit so long as you are traveling on a full-size plane.  If you are driving, you won't need the kennel but will still need the health certificate, of course.

Good luck!

I have been wondering the same thing about bringing my dog to Mexico. You said you brought your dog in cabin on Delta. May I ask how much your dog weighs. I think there is a restriction on weight when you bring them in cabin. I got my dog because he was a small puppy and could go in cabin when I travel, but that small puppy has grown to 18lbs. I would worry about having him be checked as luggage.

Just give Delta a call to see if they have a weight limit for in-cabin pets.  I didn't see any weight limit on their website before I made my reservation.. They did ask our dog's weight on the phone when I made the reservation, and they asked the dimensions of her kennel.  Our dog weighs 16 lbs but could easily weigh 18 at this size if she were even a tiny bit overweight.  They do not weigh your dog at the airport, at least not in Atlanta. 

Cost to fly your dog in cabin one way is $200.  High, but still cheaper than kenneling them at home.

I would never check our dog in cargo.  In fact, most airlines won't even take snub-nosed breeds in cargo because of heat and breathing issues.

Good luck!

Thank you for the info. I will be coming from Minneapolis to Atlanta to Guadalajara, I will check with Delta before I confirm my plans.

Good thing I found this thread.

I dont see a huge problem bring my dog to SMA through Leon, what I am concerned about is if there is some sort of exit document needed to bring our dog out of Mexico back into the States  (via Leon BJX).  I cant find any info on that on the web and I tried to contact a vet in SMA but he couldnt seem to tell us either.  Anyone of you folks have done that can help us out ?  We are so afraid that we cant bring our dog back into the States !

soledancer wrote:

I dont see a huge problem bring my dog to SMA through Leon, what I am concerned about is if there is some sort of exit document needed to bring our dog out of Mexico back into the States  (via Leon BJX).  I cant find any info on that on the web and I tried to contact a vet in SMA but he couldnt seem to tell us either.  Anyone of you folks have done that can help us out ?  We are so afraid that we cant bring our dog back into the States !

NO problem!  Just go to a Mexican vet and ask for an international health certificate.  They will make one for you to present when you go back to the US.  There is no exit documentation when leaving Mexico, it is only when you cross onto US soil you will have declare the dog and present the certificate to US customs officials.  Of course your dog must have its current rabies cert. as well (we had ours from the US that was still good). 

If the SMA vet you contacted does not know about health certificates, try another vet.  The very first one I went to here in Playa knew exactly what to do when we were heading back to the US last spring.  They do this all the time for people who come and go with their pets.  Note that the US does not have a particular form that is required for entry.  Basically it just has to say that the pet has been examined by a vet and found to be healthy.  We brought our dog back to the US from Belize, and that cert. was completely different from the one we got in Mexico.  Both were accepted without a problem in the US.

Thanks, that is so reassuring !

The airlines when flying with a dog set the rules and are more stringent than driving. Each airline's web site covers this topic. It is not difficult but getting advice from anywhere other than the airline is not best choice.

A shuttle will bring you to and from Leon.

We live in SMA and any questions please ask. SMA is very dog friendly.

saludos

Sonia

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Link to your website deleted - no free ads here please

Thanks Sonia !
Can you recommend a vet who can provide "international health certificate" in SMA for us to bring our dog back to the US ?

Raymond+Grace

Ok since we had a hard time finding info from any forum online, we post our experience here for other dog owners so they can travel from the US to SMA without worries:

Before your trip:
1) Obtain a signed proof of rabies vaccination from qualified vet, this needs to be printed and in duplicate. Also needs to state your dog is healthy and free of communicable disease.  This has to be dated within 10 days of travel.
2) Contact airline and make sure animal is ok to fly
3) Once landed Leon BJX airport, before passing immigration, there is a Mexican dept of agriculture office on your right just before the line to immigration.  You need to go in and show your papers whereupon the Mexican official will ask you for your address in SMA/Mexico, and how long you stay.  He will then type out a certificate which you need to hand to customs as you exit.  No hassles but expect 15 minutes for him to do all that.
4) Breeze through immigration and then customs !

Thats all there is !
Coming back there is no requirement for exit on Mexico side and only documentation for return is proof of rabies (copy of your vets original letter), if your trip isnt long.

Good luck to all !

I bring my dog back and forth every year from Canada, but the same rules apply, and I have to follow the US custom rules also if I have a layover in the US. Soledancer gave you the right information. Sometimes though, it can take almost an hour (or it seems like so) at the Airport department of agriculture. They are very slow. And you have to make sure they hand all your documents back (they'll make a photocopy). Best to bring a photocopy yourself, including a photocopy of your passport just for them. You should find the Customs info on your customs and immigration online site (bringing a pet to Mexico).

I agree they are a little slow, friendly enough though. Took 15-20 minutes.