What's going on in Guerrero State specifically in Acapulco?

I will be traveling to Acapulco soon, will stay there for a week but got some feedback from someone in my next stage of the trip (Mexico city) that the city and specifically the State of Guerrero is recently in turmoil?

Is it true that the road leading to Mexico city from Acapulco is being blockaded regularly by protesters?

Anyone from this area who can give me an idea on the best way to travel to Mexico city from there?

Thanks.

United States Embassy Mexico City
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens:
Defer Road Travel in Guerrero State
November 13, 2014

This message is to inform U.S. citizens that protests continue in Guerrero state in response to the disappearance of 43 students there.  Due to the ongoing possibility of protest-related violence along highways, U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling by land in Guerrero state.  This includes the federal toll road (“cuota”) 95D to/from Mexico City and Acapulco.  The Embassy cautions U.S. citizens to avoid virtually all road travel within Guerrero state.  In Acapulco, defer non-essential travel to areas further than 2 blocks inland of the Costera Miguel Aleman Boulevard, which parallels the popular beach areas. Lodging for U.S. government personnel is limited to the hotel zone (“zona hotelera”) of Acapulco, beginning from the Hotel Avalon Excalibur Acapulco in the north and going south through Puerto Marquez including the Playa Diamante area.  Any activity outside the hotel zone for U.S. government personnel is limited to the coastal area from La Quebrada to the beginning of the hotel zone and only during daylight hours.  In general, the popular tourist area of Diamante, just south of the city, has been less affected by violence.

Canadians be cautious.

Thanks for that info, joaquin. I'll take the necessary precaution.

Good luck,  I live in a town north of Acapulco .......and today all is quiet.  But this last week you are right ....blockads and many demonstrations in ACA and also in Chilpancingo.  Keep checking news and google .

We were in Puebla in late October and there were signs and placards in front of the church there, so protests have spread north. One man was walking back and forth with a sign that said "where is my Amiga".

Just came back from visiting Acapulco and Mexico City. There are no blockades anywhere on the cuota and the Federales are everywhere, specially in ACA. The bus trip from ACA to MEX is a scenic one and I wouldn't mind going at it again.

I think I like Acapulco better than Cancun because, as a Filipino, I can trace back in history our homeland's connection to Mexico. And also, I noticed that the majority of tourists there are mostly Mexicans.

I saw more rallies in Mexico City than in Acapulco, though.