OMAN COST OF LIVING ANDN SAVINGS

Dear Friends,
I have an offer from Oman, muscat of 1200 OR.
accomodation and food i have to manage out of above package.
I am very confused, whether to accept this offer or not, since I have heard accomodation cost will be very high, beside that I have to hire a car for daily travel (otherwise life will be difficult over there).
company provide medical facilities & annual ticket to india.
Pls tell me how much I have to spent monthly on accomodation, food, and travelling??
Pls also tell me how much will i save
I am  married with 7 month old baby
Your reply will be very important for me...

Thanks

Hi,

My package here is very much similar to you. I came here in last February. So far my 4+ months experience :

Accommodation : Single Bedroom Appartment in Gobra/Al-Khuawair Area - 280/300 OMR (popular areas for ppl having no car because everything you will get in this two area within walking distance)
Car Rent : you have to get driving licence of Oman. Rent : on an averagr 150 OMR (Full time).
Food : Depends on you. Normally it should be within 70/80 rial.
Other expanse - Mobile, Internet : on an average 50 rial

Hi,

I have an offer from a company based in Al Khuwair, they are offering me 800 OMR per month and every quarter they would pay me 1400 OMR. Would this package be ok for a family of 3 (myself, wife and 4 year old son) to survive. I assume 300 would go for rent, 150 for groceries, 100 for transportation and 50 for cellphone- internet etc.and 100 for kids school fee would get spent. Is my assumption correct?

praveenk59 wrote:

Hi,

I have an offer from a company based in Al Khuwair, they are offering me 800 OMR per month and every quarter they would pay me 1400 OMR. Would this package be ok for a family of 3 (myself, wife and 4 year old son) to survive. I assume 300 would go for rent, 150 for groceries, 100 for transportation and 50 for cellphone- internet etc.and 100 for kids school fee would get spent. Is my assumption correct?

Hi praveenk59,

As far as the expense break-ups go, your assumptions above are quite accurate.

But what I fail to follow is the quarterly payment of R.O. 1,400/- which you have mentioned. What's that ?!?

If what I understand is correct then it's a fair and not-so-bad deal.

Best wishes.

Hi Sumitran,

My salary is 800 OMR per month fixed and 200 OMR per month variable to be paid every quarter based on my achivements on the milestones set for me. This would be my salary for the first six months of my stay in Muscat, post 6 months or maybe a year the MD of this company said he will make my salary better by giving me a hike based on the appraisal process.

You can find my previous posting here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=415202

Now I feel this offer has to be rejected as the company is not willing to do any further negotiation.

Hello Reza:

In your earlier message you quoted, average rent for hiring car is 150 OMR? Which rent-a-car company is offering so low rate? Is this 150 a month?? Can you please clarify?

Also, you mentioned apartments in Gobra/Al Khuwair area is 280/300 OMR? Can you please let me know apartment names in this area or if you have a direct website for these apartments which rent out for 280/300?

Thanks a lot!

Hmm good job.you will get good home .etc.and everything you want   by the way where are you from..best of luck

canada2006 wrote:

Hello Reza:

In your earlier message you quoted, average rent for hiring car is 150 OMR? Which rent-a-car company is offering so low rate? Is this 150 a month?? Can you please clarify?

Also, you mentioned apartments in Gobra/Al Khuwair area is 280/300 OMR? Can you please let me know apartment names in this area or if you have a direct website for these apartments which rent out for 280/300?

Thanks a lot!

There ain't any specific apartment /building name in general (to find an appropriate one). However, there are specific communities like "The waves Muscat / Muscat Hills / Almuna residency / Dolphin Village" where the houses, as well as apartments are available, but as i mentioned earlier, a 2 BR apartment in any of the above residency (In general) will cost you not less than OMR 850/month

Hi For a normal standard of living, cost of living may be:
1) for double bed room apartment: 450 to 700 OMR.
2) For car rental: 250 to 300 OMR.
3) Kids education : 250 OMR.
4) For food 150 to 200 OMR.
5) mobile Internet : 50 OMR.
health Insurance should be borne by the company.
For a Salary of 1200 OMR with family it will be hand to Mouth situation or you can stay single for saving money.
Cheers,
Radjesh

Not bad

Hi,
One company majees llc is offering me 800 ro per month and accommodation is from company end, also travel ticket to India once in a year with 30 days paid leave from company side.
I will be there alone.
Pls suggest this deal is good or not and what would be the cost which would be there.

Also advise abt the company how it is???

Anuj sirohi wrote:

Hi,
One company majees llc is offering me 800 ro per month and accommodation is from company end, also travel ticket to India once in a year with 30 days paid leave from company side.
I will be there alone.
Pls suggest this deal is good or not and what would be the cost which would be there.

Also advise abt the company how it is???

Hi Anuj sirohi,

Salary and perks would vary from person to person, depending on various factors like educational qualifications, prior work experience and professional background, to name just a few.

For Cost of Living details, please refer to the numerous posts under the same topic in the forum.