Can anyone provide info on how dog friendly Daejeon or Korea?

Hello. I have just accepted a position at Woosong University in Daejeon and will be moving in January or February of 2015. I'm a professor and an occupational therapist. Right now I'm home in Canada but was working in Saudi Arabia. I'm really excited to be coming to South Korea but don't know anyone at all. My dog Kato (4 year old whippet/standard poodle cross 23 kgs) will be traveling with me and I'm hoping he'll have plenty of other dogs to meet and play with. Can anyone provide info on how dog friendly Daejeon or Korea in general is?

Thanks

Rhysa

Hi Rhysa and welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the South Korea forum as i think that it needed to be more visible to the eyes of other members.

Now, let's hope that you will get some replies very soon. :)

Have a nice day

Priscilla

Hi, I'm a Korean national living in Daejeon and have two poodles. There are several parks you can unleash your dogs and let them have some interactions with local dogs, but those parks are not dog parks, just the parks with the greens and a walk-around for people. So, the people walking on the pathways might not like approaching dogs or don't know how to deal with dogs. There are so many people having pets and as many vets and pet shops in Daejeon as well as in the whole country in general, but at the same time, some people react quite badly towards too friendly and too curious dogs. Places I'd like to recommend for walking your dog is the park in front of the government complex in Dunsan-dong. There is a group of pet-lovers meeting almost daily throughout the day. Another place is Guemang Lohas Park near Daecheong Dam. If you go there early on Sunday mornings, the vast plains of greens will be all your dog's playground. Just be sure to bring plastic bags for potty. Also one vet I can recommend is Choo Young Jae anminal hospital. He graduated the top vet school in Korea and can easily communicate in English. Good Luck in Daejeon!