Brazil Drivers License

I know it is supposedly possible to Drive on an American (US Issued) drivers license in Brazil and to be able to exchange it for the equivalent Brazil Document. What I am told and this varies that it is not necessary to have it translated ( But when I arrived at the Manaus DETRAN, I was told it needed to be translated at an official Catorio) and that I would need 2 copies and to have them notarized at the Catorio as well.  Many have said that this is not necessary. So this blog will be about the process in Manaus on getting that task done. My first stop will be the Manaus, Amazonas DETRAN website to get the requirements from them if it exists. Anyone who has gone thru the process feel free to blog here about It

You have NO idea how happy I am to hear that a US license can be TRADED IN for a Brazilian one!! If THAT much is ACCURATE, the fact that the US license may have to be TRANSLATED is the LEAST of what I thought was necessary in order to acquire a Brazilian license once i'm there! I was NOT looking forward to having to take a written etc test there, as if I already didn't know how to drive...! After all, if they feel you know how to drive enough to honor and recognize an INTERNATIONAL Driver's License, why wouldn't they recognize those same driving abilities once you're a PERMANENT RESIDENT? Or do they feel that your driving abilities go out the window when you become a resident vs. a tourist?? That's something I've never understood and that's why your posting has brought me great joy and peace of mind. I'll look forward to what you find out...As I'm sure many others will.

I am quite interested in this topic, for I was always told that any drivers license from outside could be used in the first 6 months, however, after 6 months' stay in Brazil, you must use a Brazilian drivers license, is that true?
To get a Brazilian drivers license is painful for me, not only because of the boring classes and written test , I got the international drivers license using an automatic transmission car, here, only manual transmission allowed for the practical test.
And wasting time is a big trouble for anyone!

enzo36camp wrote:

I am quite interested in this topic, for I was always told that any drivers license from outside could be used in the first 6 months, however, after 6 months' stay in Brazil, you must use a Brazilian drivers license, is that true?
To get a Brazilian drivers license is painful for me, not only because of the boring classes and written test , I got the international drivers license using an automatic transmission car, here, only manual transmission allowed for the practical test.
And wasting time is a big trouble for anyone!

From their DETRAN website it does say 6 months then you must apply for a Brazilian License the process involves getting a bunch of documents I have checked the Sao Paulo DETRAN and it differs from the Manaus one so apparently each state is responsible for issuing them and each state has different rules and documents needed as far as taking the tests again the SP website says you skip that part BUT you must still take  a psychological exam and doctors exam and provide a bunch of documents to prove who you are then they will issue a license. I wonder why the psychological exam because most drivers here in Manuas drive so crazily that all of them should have failed that part of the exam. For example it is very common for drivers to make a right turn from the left hand lane and glare at you when they do that maneuver.  I get the impression most drivers here feel the road belongs to them and that they are above normal traffic laws such as obeying red lights, they do not mean anything to motorcycle operators and it is OK to weave in and out of traffic drive on sidewalks and go in an opposite direction of the normal traffic. Further it is also common to turn thru a gas station use it as a road if the light is red at an intersection, Just cut thru the gas stallion on the corner and cut other drivers off  coming out of the station this is  a very very common practice. They may have rules and regulations here similar to the US but the enforcement is NON existent it is a free for all  So in all practical purposes DETRAN is a joke. One other note IF you happen to have a pick up truck you must get a truck drivers license you can not use a license issued that is for driving a car. Also do not give a motor cycle operator a hard time as they sometimes will rip off your side view mirrors if you look at them the wrong way

The psychology test is to find out why you would be crazy enough to want to drive in Brazil in the first place. As for driving a motorbike here, It would be safer taking a swim in Recife with a piece of raw meat tied to your leg.

Not sure how long you are planning to stay in Brazil.  I have a villa in Pipa da Praia, Brazil and travel from Dallas, TX, USA to Recife and rent a car and drive the remainder to Pipa.  I have been stopped at the roadside police roadblocks and have produced my passport, permanent residence visa and my AAA International drivers license without any problems.  I have had no issues producing the license at the Localiza and renting a car for weeks at a time.  There is a specific one for Brazil and you must ask for that when filling out the paperwork at any AAA office.  The license is good for 6 months.  AAA requires 2 passport photos and they can take the photos at the office if you desire.  AAA charges $25.00 for the license.

I lived in Brasil off and on from 2001 to 2007 and had 6 different vehicles.
Occasionally I'd get stopped at a check point, they were just looking for stolen cars, etc. and passed to them my AAA license. Was funny to see their reaction it this little book of paper but what the hell could they do ?
Never offered my Florida license nor did they ask for it.

As far as 6 months goes, I hardly think they CARE enough to figure out when you got here and how long you've been here. These are mostly city or regional cops.
I got my share of speeding tickets with cameras etc.  Got 2 in one day in Curitiba.

I'm back in Brasil again and have NO intention of getting a BR license.
As long as you drive like a Brasilian and look like a Brasilian, you'll never have a problem.
I used to pass a checkpoint way out in the country once in a while and brought with me a bag of cold sodas for the guys at the checkpoint sweating their asses off out there in the heat.
You think they ever forgot that gringo who was a nice guy ?  Never.

I am in Campinas in the state of SP and need to get a Brazilian driver's license ASAP. I have my protocolo, my passport, and my California license which expires in June.  From what I understand, I need to get my California license translated into Portuguese by an official translator and then get a physical exam (as well as a psychological exam?) and then take all of the above to my local DETRAN office along with proof of residence (I have no bills in my name - they are all in my husband's name - will our Brazilian marriage certificate and a bill in my husband's name suffice?), and my CPF.  Am I missing anything? Thank you!

Since 2010 the AAA Drivers License is no longer needed in Brazil you drive with your foreign License and you passport. Having your license translated also is a good idea..

I was able to use bills in my wife name as proof of residence. Also I took a letter from PF showing that my protocolol was in process.