Moving Back to Germany

I am an American physician who trained in Germany.  I have lived and practiced in the US for 30 years but now want to return to Germany to live and work.  I studied in Berlin and Heidelberg, but wish to move to the Cologne area now.  Any information or advice you may share would be deeply appreciate, thank you very much for that kindness.

Dr.med. James R. Bowman, USA

Hi,
     I am a retired Psychiatrist who worked for the American Army in Germany for more than 30 years. What is it particularly you want info on.  Psychdoc

Gosh, where to start?  I guess things like finding a flat, what reasonable rents are with utilities, getting a visa to live in Germany and pursue my work as a naturopathic physician and nutritionist, I think the closest in German law that coms to that is the classification of HEILPRAKTIKER, and I have those credentials, too, from a recognized American school, Palmer College of Chiropractic Medicine. 

I trained in medicine in Berlin and Heidelberg, but I prefer to practice only natural medicine not Rx drugs and surgery.  Another question would be about transportation.  I am certain many things in Germany have changed since I was last there in the mid-1970's, I just bought a new Honda Accord Sport, and wondering if I need it there and should transport it over and have to go through the insurance and registration/licensing procedures, or if I should just sell it here in the US and count on trams, buses, trains, biking, etc., to get around.  Are there social organizations there for Americans who live abroad?  I would imagine so, I have no idea how many Americans live there now.  Sure, it would be very kind and generous of you if you could give me some insight into these kinds of questions, I would be most grateful.  Thanks, I hope to hear back from you,

ClausJurgen

Hello ,
             Thanks for your mail. I do not live in Cologne so it would be difficult to answer the questions you ask. I am also an Allopathic  physician so again, I can not offer much help. Sorry. Best of luck any way.    Psychdoc

Sir,

If I may, as you and I do have some things in common, both being trained in and having practiced allopathic medicine, both speaking German and deciding to reside in Germany, there are a few things I believe you could help me in.
  I asked about the car question, whether it is better to bring my new Honda or sell it here and rely on public transportation in Germany, I would value your thoughts on that.  Also, even though you do not live in Cologne, I am not locked into that location, it is possible I would relocate to other areas, including perhaps Berlin again or Heidelberg again.  Although I understand cost of living is very regional, just a general estimate of rents for flats with utilities, etc., would be helpful in planning, also general costs of groceries per week, etc.  You have the advantage that you are there right now, I, on the other hand, am just in the early planning stages, so even a few pearls of wisdom, as it were, from you would be most greatly appreciated.
   I guess, if it's not too personal, also the reason for your relocation?  My family heritage is German, dating back more than 8 generations, and after having spent years there in the US Army and then my medical training in Berlin and Heidelberg, I returned to the US to practice and to be with my aging mother, but she has now passed and there is nothing more to hold me here, and my homesickness for Germany grows daily.  I simply miss it, it always felt like home to me.
   I have patients waiting, I truly appreciate any insights you could share and I thank you for your time and your kindness in helping a fellow citizen in transition.

Sincerely yours,  Claus Jurgen

Sir, did I offend you?  If so it was not intentional at all, but I did pose a few important questions if you would be so kind as to reply.  Thank you,

Dr.med. James Claus Jurgen Bowman

Claus Jurgen,
                         Sorry for not replying at once  I was out of town. No,you did nothing to offend me.I think if you come to Cologne at first I would leave the car in the States. May be it would be a good idea to visit Cologne for a while to gather your own impressions. How long has it been since you last visited ? You will get a better idea of where to live & practice if that is what you would like to do. You would have to register with the Medical association in Nord-Rhein Westphalen, which is the the state for Cologne. Since you have your Medical degrees from Germany ,that should not be a problem,do you also have an Aprobation ?In order to practice Medicine in Germany ,you will need one. Cologne has good transportation system so initially you would not need your car ,but to travel out side Cologne ,you may..

Rents in general in larger cities are more expensive than the suburbs. All the cities you mentioned are good choices. Berlin off course is the most cosmopolitan ,Heidelberg is quite full of students but very picturesque.
Have I given you some clarification to your queries ?   
                                                                                         Psychdoc

Of course there are many Heilpraktikers in Germany but you should look at German sites to find out what requirements there might be to practice. As for taking a car, I am baffled that one would consider it. It's like questioning if one should take some snow along on a trip to the north pole. Like you mentioned yourself, there is plenty of public transportation but whether it fits your needs will depend on the specifics of your eventual living and working situation. If you want a car then buy it in Germany. Why spend the cost and have the paper work of shipping and transferring of registration? It's financially senseless. You can get any kind of car here and if you hadn't heard, Germany also makes cars: BMW, VW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche but if you like Hondas it is anyway cheaper to buy it here. Otherwise, I think you need to narrow your requests down to more specifics if you want any good answers on this forum.

To add to what Tomin said above:
To get a USA car up to EU security standards will cost a lot more than the car is worth.
If you want one here, buy it here. Or take the excellent public transport.

Regarding your plan to start a Heilpraktiker clinic here:
If you don't focus on English-speaking clients only, you probably need very good German language skills to understand their problems and descriptions.