Schools!

Hi all

My husband and I and our 3 children will be relocating to Bahrain this August. I have applied to BSB and heard nothing back as yet? I have also applied to St Christophers school. My 10 year son and 7 year old daughter have completed the assessments and we have posted them back. Does anyone know how the assessments are scored Is there a percentage the children will need to score before going on wait lists?  Does anyone have experience of the process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Andrea

Hi Andrea

I am in the exact same boat and am anxiously waiting to hear from them. We are also moving in Aug with our 3 sons. I have applied for my 7 yr old and 4 yr old. It's such a difficult time waiting to see how the school will work out. Have you applied anywhere else just in case? I haven't yet as was just naively hoping they would get a place. Might have to rethink that strategy!
Best of luck with it and sorry I'm no help. No doubt you will get lots of advise on here. Everyone was so welcoming and helpful to me

Jessica

Hi

Yes slightly panicked! Have your boys completed the assessments? If so when? Have they said your boys will have a place subject to leavers?

Thank you

Andrea

Nadeem school in Adliya is a great school but only caters for up to year 7. Andrea feel free to post my PM to you on here, I'm on my mobile so it's difficult

Both schools are extremely full.  If you have applied for Year 7 at St Chris there is very little hope I am afraid.

Do not sit waiting - you need to call the schools and find out the position.

If you have not heard or your husband's (or your) company does not have sufficient influence you both need to come up with Plan B's and C's.

Nadeen is a good option.  For the younger ones there is also the British Prep which goes up to age 7.  Am also hearing good things about the Multinational School in Adliya which is brand new and is following the Australian Curriculum.  If you are desperate and have the cash - Riffa can be a stop gap but I don't hear such good things about it.

Or while you wait for space join the growing band of homeschoolers in Bahrain set up just because of the lack of good school places.

Good luck.

Agree with scottrace, don't wait until they call you, I was calling BSB almost everyday.

Before doing the assessment they did not tell you if there is a place or not?

All the best,
Mo

I have just gone through the whole stress of getting in to a school in Bahrain. Luckily, we got our 14 yr old in to St.Christophers Yr 10 straight away. Unfortunately, our Yr5&6 didn't get places as there weren't any available but they passed the entry exam very well. We have places for them in September, yipeeeee! Meanwhile they have had to attend BSB and I am looking forward to having them all in St.Christophers.
You must keep calling admissions and at least get them to tell you that your children have passed the entry exam. I have heard that St.Christophers have added extra classes to accommodate the demand for places.
If you like I can email you with more info.
I feel your struggle!

Thank you for responding to my message. How long did your children sit on the wait list for St Chris's before being offered a place?

Andrea

Hi Andrea
My Year 5 & 6 have been waiting a year to get in to St.Chris however we sat the test whilst in KL last August and we landed here last September. We had missed the beginning of the school year which is always difficult - so you are already ahead of the game.
Ironically on the day my younger 2 we're starting BSB we got a phonecall from St.Chris telling us there was a slit for our daughter but not our son. We didn't take the place as we had laid the fees to BSB also I wanted a place for both of them at the same time. This happened again then I found out that I kept loosing my places as I was waiting for 2 spots to come up. My advice would be if you get one slot take it, I wish I had!
We have been at the top of the list as we already had a child in yr10 St.Chris and we are already in the country with visa/CPR etc.
The reason I couldn't take one slot at St.Chris junior school earlier was because I was new to Bahrain and didn't know anyone to help me share the school run and there aren't any school busses to the junior school only to the senior school in Isa Town. I physically couldn't have driven one child to BSB and another to St.Chris at the same time. Now I live in a great compound with a good community and we are all planning in car pooling in September when we all move to St. Chris.
There can be lots of movement in the expat community over the summer which can open up places.
Living in the right area is important for schools as traffic can be an issue during rush hour .
Bahrain is an easy place to live , schooling is the issue.
Hope this helps.

Nicola

Really helpful, thank you so much. Where is the best place to live? Are the compounds fun? Do the children have friends there? Is st chris's worth the effort? Were you unhappy with bsb?

Do you love living in bahrain?

I'm excited but obviously concerned about my children's schooling!

Thanks again

Andrea

HI Nicola. Our daughter is starting at BSB in September.
Can you give me any details on your compound?

Hi
I would suggest you look in Al Jasra area. It is close to BSB and a great spot for accessing most areas. Particularly good too if your husband needs to commute to Saudi on the Causeway. Hamala too is great for BSB.  :)

Hi Andrea

I like Jasra and Hamala area as it's easy to access most places from there plus it is safe and quiet.
There are many compounds to choose from but we chose ours due to the large garden for our dog.
We like Bahrain, the people are friendly and you can get most things you need here, it is very British.
Take as much as you can from home in your container as it can be expensive here for poor quality.
I personally think St.Chris is worth the effort for sure!
If this is your first posting then it is an easy one to start with. We enjoyed the cooler temperatures over the winter months after 6 yrs in the tropics. Bring hot water bottles as it is cold in winter!
I am new to this forum , so I will try sending you a PM.
Nicola :)

Not really willing to get into the whole BSB/St Chris debate - again!!! But as a parent of extremely bright and sporty boys of different ages who excel at BSB, please dont write it off and fall into the St Chris is the only school on the Island trap.

Go and visit both schools and make your own decision based upon what you and your children feel is best for them.

Oh and if you are coming from the UK it definitely isnt cold in winter ;)

Nicola hi,

I was reading your notes on BSB and St Chris... and though I would drop you a line.

We used to live in Bahrain - and just returned after 2 years in Spain. Both our kids were at St. Chris back in the days - and we were very happy with the school. Due to lack of placement availability at St Chris 2nd time round we ended up enrolling our son (9 years) at Nadeen. He remains wait listed for St. Chris and have passed his assessment, however chances of getting a placement at St Chris after the summerhols are looking bleak we are told... (Our big boy is now in UNI)

As we are far from impressed with Nadeen - we are now looking at other options - one of which is BSB, and I was wondering what your take is of the school? We are hearing lots of rumors about the school and hearing that students and teachers alike are fleeing due to change of management. Not really sure what to believe .

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Heidi.

Hi Jessica

Any news on St Chris's school and your boys?

Andrea

Sigh!!!

You have said it in your comment - rumours.  You will know how small this Island is and what starts as a very small comment can turn massive in no time.

You can apply to BSB but again you are unlikely to get a place certainly in the Infants and Juniors - it's full to the rafters.  I can't get my 4 year old in despite already having a very bright and able son in Year 4 for 2.5 years.  If teachers and parents were "fleeing" there would be a ton of space.

I keep saying it - yes there are staff changes and yes some parents have been panicked into going to St Chris but that does not mean that BSB is a bad school. Look at the facts - it is getting better year on year on year and the results are outstanding. 

Baatski wrote:

Nicola hi,

I was reading your notes on BSB and St Chris... and though I would drop you a line.

We used to live in Bahrain - and just returned after 2 years in Spain. Both our kids were at St. Chris back in the days - and we were very happy with the school. Due to lack of placement availability at St Chris 2nd time round we ended up enrolling our son (9 years) at Nadeen. He remains wait listed for St. Chris and have passed his assessment, however chances of getting a placement at St Chris after the summerhols are looking bleak we are told... (Our big boy is now in UNI)

As we are far from impressed with Nadeen - we are now looking at other options - one of which is BSB, and I was wondering what your take is of the school? We are hearing lots of rumors about the school and hearing that students and teachers alike are fleeing due to change of management. Not really sure what to believe .

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Heidi.

Baatski wrote:

As we are far from impressed with Nadeen -

Could you please share what it is about Nadeen that makes you say you are far from impressed with it?

Hi....we are planning to b move to bahrain in September this yr...I have 2 kids one 8 and the other 6....could  somebody tell me how to get about the admission s in school....am currently settled in Pakistan

Hello
Me and my two girls are going to move to Bahrain next year from UK. I am really desperate to know more from anyone with young family how is it to live in Bahrain after living in UK? I am more interested from the schooling and safety point of view. I have spoken to BSB and St Chris and was asked to come for an assessment for year 2 and nursery entry in September 2015.  Anyone who can reply I will really appreciate. TIA.
Gauri

Hi Gauri

I am from Ireland and moved here in July with my 3 boys age 7,4 and 3.
They go to the BSB and they are very happy there. From my experience both BSB and St Chris are lovely schools and I'm sure ur children will be happy in either.
From a safety point of view, I have never once felt nervous or unsafe since I have moved. The worst I have experienced is traffic delays if there are any protests going on.
We have settled in here as a family really well. It's a lovely place and the people here are very friendly and welcoming.
If you have any further questions I'm very happy to help you as best I can.
Jessica

Having taught in and near Washington DC in the US, I have seen my share of security at schools - metal detectors and armored vests - shotguns and k9's in the halls - you name it.

The schools here do take security and safety very seriously - some are more outright with their show of it, however.  In general the country is very safe - but like any place you simply exercise common sense about where you go and when.

You will find moving here from the UK will be a change, but there are certainly more difficult places to move.  The people are friendly and you will be able to make friends if you want. 

Best of luck with your move!

Hi Jessica
Thank you very much for your reply. I am getting a positive vibe for BSB too. Will have to see the school to make up my mind. Will apply everywhere as I want my girls to start school.

It's nice to know how world has become so much small due to internet and people so much helpful.

Thank you to the person from Washington DC as well 

Regards
Gauri.

Admitted my kids aged 9 n 7 at Dilmun School  as it was midterm and bsb , st Chris n choefat refused till assessment next year....but am not satisfied with the younger one especially. ...feel the child is being stressed out. ....