Let's Get a Massage in Ecuador

It's not just the posters on the Las Olas thread who need a good therapeutic massage these days.

Here in Quito, Mariscal's Gringolandia area is Massage Central.  Go to the corner of Amasonas and Wilson and within about a four block radius there are 6-8 peluquerias (hair salons) where massage is offered.  The going rate there is $20 an hour.

My favorite place is the no-name peluqueria on Wilson (between Amasonas and Juan Leon Mera, next to Vibracciones Club and its infamous neon sign).  I like their bodywork so much I've been going there four times a month for the past year.  As the no-name suggests, it is a simple place.   They cut hair in the front and have two massage tables in the back.

If you go, you can ask for my principal masseuse, nickname Gatubelita ("Catgirl").

Don't expect much English to be spoken in these peluquerias.  But "masaje, una hora" (or your preferred timeframe) should get you optimal service.  In a year's worth of massages, the only two words in English that I have heard the wonderful Catgirl speak are:  "turn over."

(Best times to go to the no-name peluqueria for massage:  4:30-6:30 p.m. weekdays, 10:30 a.m. to mid-afternoon on Saturdays.)

cccmedia wrote:

Here in Quito, Mariscal's Gringolandia area is Massage Central....

My favorite place is the no-name peluqueria on Wilson.

The no-name peluqueria is running some promotions, according to the flyers they have started giving out.  The place seems to be advertising to Gringos now as well, as the two-sided flyers are in espanol on one side and English on the other.  And I was in there this month when another actual Gringo was getting a massage in the second massage "cuartito."

Also, it turns out the place now does have a name -- Dodie's.

Anyway, the Spanish-language side of the flyer says there is "Servicio a domicilio" -- domicilio meaning home or place of residence.  This is a common service in Asian countries, but I haven't seen it advertised in EC before.

They're also advertising $3 worth of free services for every $15-20 spent in cash.

From the English-language side of the flyer:

Dodie's Beauty and Hair - Massage...
       Wilson E4-230 y Amazonas - Telf.  0999 287 259

If you're there between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m. weekdays for massage, remember to ask for Gatubelita (Gah-too-bay-LEE-tah).

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

(Dodie's) peluqueria is running some promotions...advertising $3 worth of free services for every $15-20 spent in cash.

From the English-language side of the flyer:

Dodie's Beauty and Hair - Massage...
       Wilson E4-230 y Amazonas...

If you're there between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m. weekdays for massage, remember to ask for Gatubelita (Gah-too-bay-LEE-tah).

I found out today that the flyer with the $3-off promotion was from years ago.  Nevertheless, they honored it today when I got my weekly massage, taking $3 off the cost of the massage.  There was no expiration date on the flyer.

If I'd know about this before, I could theoretically have saved $150 or more over the past 15 months.

I also learned today that the phone number(s) on the old flyer are out of date.  If anyone wants Gatubelita's direct "celu" line, send me a PM.

cccmedia in Quito