Web developer, want to move to canada. How to find a job

Hi,
I am from Mauritius,
I am a web developer, I have completed my degree in Computer Applications. I have two years of work experience.

I would like to move to Canada. Can i have a prospect in Canada with this degree?
How do i find a job there and what are the procedures to take so that i can make a company to hire me?

Web developers are a saturated job market. Go to Kijiji.ca and you can find even high-school students posting up their services for a cut throat price.

For you to be able to find a job here from another country, you need to demonstrate that you have unique skills that are current and also directed to hot areas in this scope. For the moment Big Data, Cloud computing and Mobile are the hot ones. So if you do have things like Hadoop, Pig, Apache Hive, MapReduce, Objective C, Python, Jython, etc. you probably stand a better chance. You'll be more attractive if you have applied them in specific industry e.g. Medical informatics

Include projects that you have accomplished by putting up links to projects that you have done (make sure it is legal ya) in public repositories like sourceforge, or github or similar sites. If you are a guru at what you do and have continuously contributed in forums and discussions sites, headhunters like to see your involvement - then include your user name / handle name (for sites like stackoverflow or etc).

Last but not least, you might stand a better chance if you are willing to target less heard of cities e.g. saskatoon, halifax, fredericton, moncton etc. rather than the big boys Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary etc. Reason being is that every tom, dick and harry wants to go to the big cities. But given the higher operating cost, more and more start ups and IT hubs are moving out to small - mid sized cities. Unfortunately, not many people are willing to come here (I am in Halifax), so you effectively eliminate your competition by targeting vacancies in these areas. Of course, you must possess the skillsets that are desirable to begin with.

All the best!

p.s. Try sites like http://jobbank.gc.ca, careerbeacon, monster

philip ena bien raison....mo habite montreal ...Analyste programmer mais mo travaille terrebonne...

bien important...fer reconnaite to ban qualifs lor site quebec-emploie...

AVAN TO VIN ICI...

oosaf wrote:

philip ena bien raison....mo habite montreal ...Analyste programmer mais mo travaille terrebonne...

bien important...fer reconnaite to ban qualifs lor site quebec-emploie...

AVAN TO VIN ICI...

English please as this is an Anglophone forum.
Thanks

Agreed, "web developer" can mean a lot of things from Dreamweaver User up to the Systems Architect dealing with scalability and security...
Heck, for a while I was a "web developer" here, when I consulted a telecommunication equipment manufacturer on the browser-based admin interface of their product :-) (I'm actually a telco software engineer.)

So you just told us the equivalent of "I can drive", which could mean a regular drivers license, unlikely to land you a job, whereas truck drivers and fighter jet test pilots are in high demand...

I also agree in keeping your search options open, but the reason most people flock to the big cities is that a lot of jobs are in the big cities :-) We originally hoped to move somewhere rural, ended up in Montreal for a job...