Proxy Servers and VPNs

Hi,

Having arrived in SP state, to start a new life with my girlfriend here, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any proxy server/VPN sites which will allow me to watch UK based TV online. 

I am not a huge TV watcher, preferring to listen to the radio, thankfully my favourite stations (BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 4) can be streamed via the web.

There are however, a few TV programmes that I miss and wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of any sites that can be used for free to mask my IP address and trick BBC and the like into thinking that I am using their services from the UK and hence do not block the content to me.

There appear to be a number of paid for site, based on an initial google search. But before I pay, could anyone recommend any free sites (or if free sites are a waste of time, then recommend a paid for site that is both economic and reliable) and indeed explain the difference between a proxy server and VPN connection.

I am relatively computer savvy (I think) and happy to play around a little.

Thanks in anticipation of any advice received.

Thanks in advance.

Try Hola.  It's basic service is free. I use it to communicate with US sites and have used it to get into netflix UK.

Obrigado,

Will try and see how I get on

:)

Works well, allowed me to catch up on TV shows from the UK, also like the way it is a plug in for the Chrome browser and so can turn the plug in on or off as and when it is required.  Thanks for the advice. Most appreciated.

Different technology but even better: there is a nice solution which is to install a SlingBox back home (which is connected to your personal TV/decoder/network). And connect to it from Brazil (or anywhere is the world): your just need to install a plugin on your browser then the SlingBox will stream live video from your home country. There is no subscription, you just need to buy this box. Indeed, terms and conditions say that this is only authorized for people who want to continue to watch his home TV when travelling arround the world.