Bank account

I will be coming to Varna or Burgas initially for 3 months so that I can see what it is like to live there.
I am in my mid forties and like peace and quiet but do like to have access to restaurants and cafes, not into night life.

With that in mind are Varna and Burgas going to be too lively for me? As long as I can find an apartment to rent preferable near the coast and not be bothered by night clubs and drunk tourists I will be happy.

I would like to open a bank account where I can deposit some cash to live off and pay the rent etc.
After doing some research on Google 2 banks keep coming up, Raiffeisen Bank  and Bulbank.

Apparently all I need is a valid passport and the funds, is that right?

Hello Agreen70.  Can't answer all your queries but suspect most of them will be answered once you come and visit. We have lived in Ravnets for over 4 years (a village about 14km from Burgas) so are quite familiar with Burgas and its locale.  For close proximity to the sea, and sea views you are more likely to find the areas to the north and south of the city to be to your liking. To the north there is Pomorie, Ahaloy, Nessebar, Ravda and Sunny Beach. Sunny Beach is probably everything you don't want but don't rule it out as it has a lot of eating places and if you choose a more peripheral part to stay in it could be acceptable.  To the south there is sozopol, primorsko and some really small places further south towards the Turkish border. This of course means that it will take longer to get into Burgas but then that might not be a criteria for you.  Once you get here a leisurely drive in both directions will give you an immediate feel for these places - and Burgas itself is really quite an attractive city with lots of parks, modern shopping malls, good beaches and lots of eating places of course.  Have only visited Varna once, very briefly - its bigger than Burgas and very popular with tourists but haven't seen enough of it to give much of an opinion.

Anyway, Happy to meet up with you and share our experience of the area.  Cheers for now.

Hello vetkoek and thank-you for the detailed reply.

I see there is an airport at Burgas and 10km from Varna too so I am open to either.
For my first 3 months I will not be bringing my car from the UK and was planning on relying on public transport.
As long as I can get to the supermarket, cafes etc.

Thanks for the place names you mentioned, I can now look into detail about each of those areas and narrow down where to look for accommodation.

I am in South Africa until next February, it was such a hassle for me as a foreigner (UK) to open a bank account here, never experienced anything like it. From what I have read Bulgaria is easier in that respect.

Hi Agreen,

I cannot speak for Burgas though, I have heard good reports, and might spend a couple of days there, out of curiosity, whilst on my stay in Bulgaria, this summer. The poster above seems to describe it and its surrounds well though.
As for Varna, it is nowhere near as commercial or noisy as Sunny Beach. The nightlife will not put you off. I am in my 50's and Varna is on a far more peaceful level and is more geared to cafe/restaurant drinking in the summer.
The tourists are mainly Bulgarians and other East Europeans. I see very few drunks roaming around at night. Varna is a very laid-back resort and like Burgas, has a huge attractive park, running alongside the sea, which is great to relax in.
Lots of videos of both cities on YouTube etc., that you should see,  but you should come and visit both cities to see which suits you best.
As for banking and funds - it should be straightforward as Bulgaria is in the EU now.
Good luck and keep us informed how you get on.

Hello Agreen70,

As far as you have funds available, there is no Bulgarian bank that will refuse to open a bank account for you.

Good luck.

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for the reply.

I was worried that I would need proof of a Bulgarian address in order to open a bank account (Like in the UK we need to show proof of our address with a utility bill).

I wont have that as I will be renting in a hotel initially for the first 3 months. I would like to rent a 1 bed apartment but think that might be difficult for that short duration, most seem to want a minimum of 12 months lease.

Hey there.

Varna and Burgas are perfect for that in my opinion.

Only in peak summer season is it very lively and the clubs, drunk tourists tend to congregate in the holiday complex areas - St Vlas, Sunny Beach and Golden Sands are places to avoid.  The cities themselves are laid back.

Yes, just funds and passport needed.

Postbank is another to consider.  I have just closed an account at Bulbank...

Did I see Pretoria in your profile???

I am from Joburg. Living in Varna for 9 years now.

Luna

Thanks for the helpful post Lunastrahil,

Do you mind if I ask why you closed your account at Bulbank?

I was hoping to open an account which pays some interest and then a current account for regular use.
Not sure how the savings interest rates compare to the poor 1% I get on savings in the UK.

I will avoid St Vlas, Sunny Beach and Golden Sands, what about Pomorie, Ahaloy, Nessebar, Sozopol?
I would prefer somewhere not too far from the airport, roughly, what should a taxi cost to the above places?

Should I change my UK pounds to Euros or Bulgarian Lev?

I was in Pretoria, now renting in Hartbeespoort on a temporary permit.

Really depends what you are looking for.  I personally prefer Sozopol, Nesebar is good too.  Pomorie is nice but kinda dead!  I prefer the cities. Burgas and Varna centre.

Unhelpful staff, ridiculous charges on certain transactions is why I closed at Bulbank.

Interest rate on a flexible deposit account is between 3 and 6 % depending on bank, amounts etc...

Taxis in Varna 0.79 lv per km plus 1 leva at start of journey. Daytime.

Rgds
Luns

Thanks again for the information.
I asked about taxi cost as many countries I have visited tend to try and charge high rates for tourists, but it seems there is a set tariff there.

Rules for immigration in SA have changed, a 2 year temporary permit is issued and then you need to re-apply 2 years later and re-apply again 1 year later. I have decided I do not want to stay so that does not matter.

After my initial visit to Bulgaria, if I like it and want to stay longer than 3 months I understand I go to the Police station with the immigration form and my Passport and it is issued on the same day, is that right?

I do plan on having Bulgarian language lessons.

Nedbank were the only bank here that would let me open an account on a temporary permit. They have made so many mistakes it is almost funny. Never known such incompetence.
UK I have no bank charges for anything but 0% interest on current account 1.35% on saving account.
Nedbank 5% on savings but charge for everything on current account.

Don't be fooled by set tariffs, many ways of hiking the rate.  They "fix" the metre.  As soon as they hear foreign language.  I am fluent in Bulgarian but still get ripped off by taxi drivers! One way 6 leva, opposite direction (same route and traffic) with English friend in car ...10 leva.  If you are travelling a distance ask approx price if trip before getting in!

I left Raifeisen for CCBank, no fees, good interest on deposits free credit card. You only need a passport.

We managed to open a bank account without too many problems and our bulgarian is very limited!   We chose our local bank and the english speaking person was extremely helpful.   We now have an account with a debit card.  Hope all goes well.

Thanks Lunastrahil, arbra and Kazman for the information. Very much appreciated.

Hello all i am going to move over to BG in a few months from now and i saw a question that was asked by Agreen70 about immigration < I like it and want to stay longer than 3 months I understand I go to the Police station with the immigration form and my Passport and it is issued on the same day, is that right?>  i did not see this question answered and i have as Agreen70 the same question concerning immigration and where to register myself once arrived in BG i can not find a address on the internet of a immigration office anywhere in BG so how does it work? i just can walk into a police station and register myself there?.....it seem to be a bit hard to do as i do not speak the BG language and i don't think there are many police officers speak proper English or can understand what i come to do in the police station.

I hope to get an answer on this please......Many thanks in advance.
Joey ;)
PS you can send me a PM/message on here as well.

Hi,when you are from the e.u members country,it will not be difficult but it is not a 100 % garantee.
You don´t need to register yourself at the Police Station.
You can apply for your residence visa but make sure that you do it 2-3 weeks before the 90 days are over.
All you need is a copy from your health insurance,contract of your rented or bought properties,Current bank account stating that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Bulgaria.You need to take someone who can help you with the translation when you apply for the visa.
Make sure that your passport is valid for more then 6 months,The visa will be valid till the same date  as your passport.
But take the original papers as well in case they want to see it as well.
You can open a bank account by just using your passport.
Wish you all the best.

AGreen - what happened?
How did you get on?

Hello Varnarama,

I was due to leave S.A at the end of February 2015 as that is when my 12 month lease here ends but I found someone else who wants to move in before so I am leaving 5 weeks earlier, a week or 2 in the UK then fly to Bulgaria.

How is life treating you there? Hopefully all is going well for you and you are enjoying life.